Gracie's post ♡

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Gracie, our Blue Fronted Amazon.
It is dangerous to lump 'all' Amazons (as well as all Parrots) into one group regarding how they act in a Public Setting. Many Amazons truly enjoy and join in with the moment. That said, that same Amazon 'could' just as well provide a dangerously deep and damaging bite to anyone that pushed across a tripwire that releases a strong self-protection mode.

Understand that the Legal Owner is responsible if their Parrot bites someone!

Always monitor your Amazon in a Public and even a semi-Public setting. Never assume that all will be well. Remember, Amazons can very Rapidly Spin-Up into a Hormonal Rage in moments if someone pushes the wrong button at the wrong time.

Remember: Stupid People do very Stupid Things Around Animal!!! And, its still your Fault!!!

I keep hearing they are whole family birds that love to be in the center of all the action! Gracie seems to LOVE noise and running and all the crazy. She gets excited and seems to come off as very playful rather than frightened or upset

I just gave this statement a thought....it seems like when Amy and I are around a bunch of people ( like at the pet store or Wallymart) he get's all goofy and giddy [emoji14] throwing his head back and forth and mumbling in Amazon speak. Like a "Parrot for the people" type of thing lol. I'll have to keep a closer eye out the next time we go on an adventure...I guess it's true "Amazons have more fun"! :18:

Jim
Very true!

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
She flew down again from her cage this morning while I was cleaning near her cage, which sucks shes scared BUT it gives me a chance to let the kids interact with her while I clean her cage and for me to get her more socialized. Shes been sitting on my knee for like 15-20 minutes and has being showing her great contentment and comfort beak grinding and standing on one foot ♡ I love her so much! So grateful :)
bb49f1b640535e10e20cdf68454620e8.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
A good amount of blue on her face and very alert looking :)
Sweet!

Jim

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
So I was talking to her previous owner and she never trained her to allow petting, Gracie would always seem bow her head then when trying she would get defensive. I've made more progress with her in a week than her OG owner did in 9 years :) since she allows me to touch her beak. I let her bite me the way she wanted to today while trying to pet her beak, she is indeed just testing my finger so I can calm down my defenses a bit. She gives on command kisses now, and it's only day 7. I found her favorite treat too- pistachio.
She has been ridiculously quiet for the last 2 days though and that worries me a bit because I've known her to be fairly talkative at least at points in the day. She didn't even get loud when my dad came over, and previously she has been EXTREMELY obnoxious and flirty towards him. I can't wait until my husband comes back from hunting Saturday and see if she sings to him again.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just a couple of points. Keep a closer eye on her regarding what and how much she is eating and of course pooping. Plus, if there is any change in its color or consistency (wetter than normal). Also, breathing in general...

It could be she is just settling in. Or, she 'maybe' edging an infection of one type or another. Not time to get crazy, but it is time to be a bit more observant.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Just a couple of points. Keep a closer eye on her regarding what and how much she is eating and of course pooping. Plus, if there is any change in its color or consistency (wetter than normal). Also, breathing in general...

It could be she is just settling in. Or, she 'maybe' edging an infection of one type or another. Not time to get crazy, but it is time to be a bit more observant.
She seems to be eating well and pooping a lot! The only time she had a watery poop was the first day she was here and I think it was from the stress of being put into basically a bag (her carrier) and moved to a new home VERY different from her own.
My assumption currently is that she is just acclimating and the reality of "this is not my sitter and moms not coming back for me" really kicking in. I expect baggage from my beloved. 9 years with one family to more attention than she's likely ever gotten in a new home has to be a lot to take in.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very true.
But, when a change of this manor occurs, it is proper to consider an underlining health issue.
As you have said; she could be bemoaning the loss of her family! It is very possible.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Very true.

But, when a change of this manor occurs, it is proper to consider an underlining health issue.

As you have said; she could be bemoaning the loss of her family! It is very possible.
Having never been to a vet in her life and the conditions she was in.... it would not surprise me :( but she seems super healthy, feathers are good, breathing sounds great, poop looks good, eating and drinking appears healthy and normal. She might need a nutritional boost, shes not use to particularly nutritionally packed foods... just junk food and Walmart generic parrot blend. Which we are going to start ordering either the stuff to make our own or buying human grade dope foods from someone who genuinely knows Amazons.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Check around the Web looking for Parrot Island. They are located in Minnesota, near the Mall of America area.

They have excellent food sources and will develop a mixture designed for your Amazon.

When one has been around as long as I have (okay a really long time), you understand the need to determine one's own health status and that of your Amazon by the numbers as part of Full Spectrum Blood Testing.

Developing a healthy diet is based around the specific numbers shown in the Testing. What direction any segment is either increased or decreased is based on what the numbers define.

So, yes, having your Amazon visit an Avian Professional is a fundamental part of owning an Amazon or any Parrot.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Check around the Web looking for Parrot Island. They are located in Minnesota, near the Mall of America area.

They have excellent food sources and will develop a mixture designed for your Amazon.

When one has been around as long as I have (okay a really long time), you understand the need to determine one's own health status and that of your Amazon by the numbers as part of Full Spectrum Blood Testing.

Developing a healthy diet is based around the specific numbers shown in the Testing. What direction any segment is either increased or decreased is based on what the numbers define.

So, yes, having your Amazon visit an Avian Professional is a fundamental part of owning an Amazon or any Parrot.
Glad I got her insurance! It kicks in on the 16th and as soon as we catch back up from my husbands $1000 hunting trip (they got an elk so it wasnt a waste) I will get an appointment made for her! She is our family Christmas gift, so instead of expensive gifts and things we dont need, she gets to see a vet for the first time! Which is about 2 hours away and shes n8t gonna be very happy about it lol.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider several short around town trips increasing the travel time with each trip. Several good experiences will settle her down and she 'may' even get to like the trips. Understanding that most Parrots only travel when not very great things happen.

The Avian Professional visit is commonly referred to as a New Parrot Examination!

Glad I got her insurance! It kicks in on the 16th and as soon as we catch back up from my husbands $1000 hunting trip (they got an elk so it wasnt a waste) I will get an appointment made for her! She is our family Christmas gift, so instead of expensive gifts and things we dont need, she gets to see a vet for the first time! Which is about 2 hours away and shes n8t gonna be very happy about it lol.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
That's a brilliant idea :) once shes more readily handled that will definitely start happening. Today shes been like super depressed or tired or something. She did not exit her cage except for like 20 seconds. I am starting to think shes not getting remotely enough sleep right now. When I closed the cage door on her last night, she just started turning in circles like shes got anxiety. Shes not use to having her door closed, but we have cats and I dont trust them with her at night.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Miss Gracie girl has been under the weather for a few days, we working on coming up with the funds for her vet visit on the 18th after my husband's hunting trip and a short pay check. November is also property tax month so we have a heavy set of financial burdens all atone time. Today I managed to get sweet Gracie out of her cage and engaged, she is seemingly MUCH happier and has perked up quite a bit, still quiet, but that beak grinding hasnt stopped for the last 20 minutes LOL... nails on a chalk board but I'm glad shes happy! She let me snuggle my face all over her and gave millions of kisses. I made her some organic parrot friendly tea and she took a drink with me so that was cool too. I have poop on my shirt for the first time too [emoji23] it's a good day.
944b9f119ca84f30819aed752311c1f3.jpg

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Ahhhh poop on the shirt. Welcome to the family.

It’s funny you say beak grinding bothers you. For some reason today I was thinking it’s almost my favorite sound-maybe second only to a baby laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Ahhhh poop on the shirt. Welcome to the family.

It’s funny you say beak grinding bothers you. For some reason today I was thinking it’s almost my favorite sound-maybe second only to a baby laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's too funny! Yeah, every time I hear it, I get goose bumps and chills- it's like teeth grinding or something. It makes a cute sound, but just knowing what it is, oiii. I'm just glad shes happy :)

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Oh my gosh!! So she is perking back up a bit it seems. Now when I hold her SHE demands kisses lol. Getting her out of or off of her cage is hell and I need to figure out how to do this without breaking her trust, shes stubborn and so am I. She talks to my husband but not me and I work with her every single day. But the BIG news is today she let me pet her beak and we worked on getting her to allow head skritches ♡♡♡ she is slowly warming up with clicker training. She doesnt like treats when shes off her cage unless its straight up French fries and I have to be SO careful with that, winstead of treats she gets clicker and GOOD GIRL!!! [emoji7][emoji9][emoji9][emoji56][emoji90][emoji451] Gush face. It seems to satisfy. I introduced her to the bathtub and a little running water, shes not sure about that. Eventually I'm sure this strange world of actual interaction she will get use to. I think I'm extremely overwhelming and inexperienced and shes like BRUH would you just calm the heck down... but she responds pretty well for the most part. For a first bird, I probably should have not done a rescue nor an Amazon, but I'm intense as heck anyways so why not? I just want a snuggly bird and shes an ass but I truly live her and I have zero regrets. But now I'm ready to beg my husband for a baby conure lmbo. Not for another few years!

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Last night while we were getting ready for dinner, Gracie decided to fly off her cage and join us :) she talked yesterday for about 40 minutes and did some fancy dancing for attention. She really likes my husband! Most action we have got since she realized we weren't baby sitters. I think we ruined it though because we put her back IN her cage for bed instead of putting her back on it and letting her go in on her own.... now today once again she hasnt gotten out and stayed up half the night spinning in circles. *sigh* a huge leap forward then back to square one.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
That happens sometimes when acclimating a new parrot to a new home/people. 1 step forward, 2 steps back ( temporary though). Watch the kisses .... human spit/saliva has tons of bacteria that parrots have no defense for.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
It's been a little while! Gracie has been home for a little over a month now, shes still quiet but shes starting to get noisier and likes to randomly act like shes going to attack my face sometimes when I walk by, esp if I have a towel or hat on. She bluffs, although I know shes serious about the desire, she wont bite esp not hard and will back off if I stand up to her and tell her no. She acts like shes gonna bite, but I think because of what happened to her when she was younger for biting, it might be seared into her memory that biting means getting hit really really hard [emoji24][emoji3064]. I've gotten her warning nips a few times and they are nothing more than a pinch that says hey stop existing where I'm breathing. She still wont let us pet her by any means but tonight for the first time ever she stepped up off of her cage without me having to use both arms and crowd her off. She has a vet visit on the 18th, her first one so I'm hoping that goes well. I'm debating making a car perch set up for her so I can take her places easier but not this time. As far as training goes, she wont accept treats except in or on her cage for no reason, but she responds spectacularly to GOOD GIRLLL! I just keep pushing her a little out of her comfort zone at a time and it seems to be working. She flirts like MAD with my husband, eyes pinning tail flared pretty girl pretty girl but will only dance her look up dance for me and my oldest ♡ shes a good bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts