Gracie's post ♡

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Gracie, our Blue Fronted Amazon.
Gracie has fully settled into our home! Shes noisey and a complete amazing turd and we love her very much. I'm pretty sure everyone at this point has some kind of relationship with her, but my husband and her have the best one out of the 5 of us. She still isnt my number 1 fan, by FAR. She will step up for me, I've gotten bit twice in the face, just warning bites- could should woulda saw that coming, although the second time was without much of a warning. Pretty sure shes hormonalish right now, but it's not much different than normal behavior, just louder. Shes gaining a nice amount of weight, apparently she was quite skinny, probably actually severely under weight when we got her. It took me looking at pics from when we first got her to realize that she had been covered in like a disgusting second hand smoke film, like a yellow nasty layer of just disgusting tar. Poor bird! But shes happy and seems very healthy! I need to work on her eating habits ASAP. Not sure how I'm going to work that, at least until we have our garden ready to start picking some food, then it will be simple because almost everything we are growing is very parrot friendly! I'm thinking I might remove her other food options until she gets hungry enough to just eat healthy stuff and the treat her after breakfast with a few sunflower seeds, a walnut, and some nutriberries, then give her dinner. I really need to work with her more, but our relationship is relatively strained because I made a whole bunch of first time parrot owner noobish mistakes and now have to actually work on correcting them, shes just standoffish on her cage and it makes it hard to get her off to work with her because to do so, I HAVE to cross boundaries 100%. So that will probably be the first task is figure out how to make that less stressful for her. The good news is she doesnt try to bite me ever, she just growls and recoils [emoji2356] BUT she willingly takes food from my hand and she still likes me to talk, sing, and read to her. Shes a good bird!
347cbca3c6571b685595a14cc36c67c5.jpg

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
We have 15 chickens brooding in the house, again, and she WILL NOT leave them alone [emoji2356][emoji23] every chance she gets she sneaks onto their cage and starts chewing it up! This is like right before I cleaned it and only a couple days worth of chicken mess too (dont judge me LOL) they are like what the lanta is this large green chicken?! And shes like... I will eat you and chew on your bones [emoji23]. Turd.
97392c00fdebe42d5a9af7a47e742810.jpg

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Shes been with us 6 months now! I think actually to the mark today. We are working on an outdoor aviary for her for the summer [emoji3059]
8eabb5a29df2043e28b1ed6d4bb93eb6.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Shes been with us 6 months now! I think actually to the mark today. We are working on an outdoor aviary for her for the summer [emoji3059]
8eabb5a29df2043e28b1ed6d4bb93eb6.jpg
Awesome news about Gracie :18: I love it when they turn their head in all sorts of contorted ways loll Lots of Blue on her face,much more than Amy :green: :18:
You are doing well with her..WONDERFUL!

Jim

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sweet Gracie, you’ve come such a long way beautiful girl!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Amazon's are great at forgiving. When we show that we are learning how to interact, they allow for our errors as long as we are correcting along the way.

Her coloration has me leaning to her being a Hybrid between a Nominate Blue-Fronted and a Yellow-Winged Amazon.

Enjoy!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What did you mount your tree stand on and how did you attach it? I have been trying to find a way to do this safely for a while and it looks pretty solid. I have a bunch of bird-safe wood that I prepped and haven't used but that was my goal. I found that my branches are bit top-heavy and I'm worried about stability.

You seem quite handy!

I wouldn't leave the t-stand in her cage. Put it in the environment where she can see it for a few weeks, maybe move it a little closer from time to time when she isn't looking. It could fall over in there and it's probably going to freak her out to have such a quick introduction to something so new and stick-like.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
We have 15 chickens brooding in the house, again, and she WILL NOT leave them alone [emoji2356][emoji23] every chance she gets she sneaks onto their cage and starts chewing it up! This is like right before I cleaned it and only a couple days worth of chicken mess too (dont judge me LOL) they are like what the lanta is this large green chicken?! And shes like... I will eat you and chew on your bones [emoji23]. Turd.

Don't let her chew the galvanized wires- they have metal in them that is harmful for parrots.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots

Don't let her chew the galvanized wires- they have metal in them that is harmful for parrots.
Yes definitely! I actually moved it away from her to make sure she cant get to it any more. She was chewing up the wood like crazy and that was driving me insane. I'm guessing it probably wouldnt be a good idea to make her Aviary out of hardware cloth then

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
What did you mount your tree stand on and how did you attach it? I have been trying to find a way to do this safely for a while and it looks pretty solid. I have a bunch of bird-safe wood that I prepped and haven't used but that was my goal. I found that my branches are bit top-heavy and I'm worried about stability.

You seem quite handy!

I wouldn't leave the t-stand in her cage. Put it in the environment where she can see it for a few weeks, maybe move it a little closer from time to time when she isn't looking. It could fall over in there and it's probably going to freak her out to have such a quick introduction to something so new and stick-like.
The tree stand has one long screw anchor in the very bottom, then 3 brackets screwed in to the tree and base [emoji3059]. I love being crafty haha! And yes, the T perch was only in her cage for a day before I took it out, she seems to like it pretty well now days. I dont often get her off of her cage though. We still have a lot of trust building to work on! I CAN get her off the cage, but she doesnt like it and I dont like offending her to get it done. She hates me for days after and we end up back to square one [emoji2356] fortunately, they indeed are Very forgiving birds. Praise God for that lol, she'd have hated me from the start if it werent for grace.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Shes getting so much more friendly with me! Let's me pick her up A LOT easier without much bickering about it and then doesnt hate me after at all. She talks to me every morning now too, which is huge! For the longest time it was only my husband. He can pick her up, put her on his shoulder and she will stay and preen him like crazy! She wont bite his fingers or anything, so gentle and careful with him [emoji1787] I've gotten bit in the face twice and I cant even count how many times my fingers have been bit- she never bites hard, but hard enough to hurt and occasionally draw blood. We definitely have trust issues, more so I dont trust her than she doesnt trust me. She seems to actually reach out to me when I'm near her to give kisses, gently, not like a lunge, but I almost always step back or flinch anyway[emoji2356]. I figure eventually I'll get over it!
0cae09235d8d0700145714e73b54ef1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
She terrorized my friends budgie simply by existing near its cage lol.
3d8860d3cf5f156f6f8f20c964eecb8e.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Lol-- awesome :)

How old is she now? I can't remember but I feel like you said she was older to begin with?? I could be wrong...

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots

How old is she now? I can't remember but I feel like you said she was older to begin with?? I could be wrong...
She turned 9 on April 1st [emoji3059]

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Right now, I'm trying to figure out what on earth I'm going to do with her while we go canoing. If I could get her harness trained, I would love to take her with us, but that's not happening for a while! I put a little leash on her ankle the other day and she HATES it, but she does seem to enjoy adventures into the outdoors. We had to postpone making her outdoor Aviary as we have to buy expensive materials, we are looking into zoo mesh.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Canoeing LOL camping* although I'm sure she would love to go canoeing [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

See- this is why I am ALL ABOUT the "older" birds-- and when I say "older", I mean YOUNG still, but if you take that plunge and adopt a non-baby, I think it can be so rewarding (especially because you get a taste of that adult personality to SOME extent upfront). You are doing a great job! :) Keep it up!

Would't advise using ankle leashes-- I know harness training an older bird feels like a nightmare, but those ankle leashes can harm them if they do take-off (broken legs etc)

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots

See- this is why I am ALL ABOUT the "older" birds-- and when I say "older", I mean YOUNG still, but if you take that plunge and adopt a non-baby, I think it can be so rewarding (especially because you get a taste of that adult personality to SOME extent upfront). You are doing a great job! :) Keep it up!

Would't advise using ankle leashes-- I know harness training an older bird feels like a nightmare, but those ankle leashes can harm them if they do take-off (broken legs etc)
That's what I kind of thought too, it seems so dangerous she were to take off in flight! I definitely like getting older birds, as much as I would love to snuggle with a baby and start it out young with training, it's more likely to outlive me at this point if I get a newborn! 10 years + is GREAT! My kids fortunately hope to take the birds if I die LOL. So at least theirs that [emoji1787][emoji2356] my oldest is 8 and they have already started calling dibs.

OP
sunshinemama91
Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
I should probably work on getting her touch friendly first though, she growls at hands and will only touch beak to finger and gi e kisses. Although at night she let's my husband rub her head with his nose LOL. Just strictly no hands [emoji1787]

Most Reactions

Latest posts