Great afternoon outside

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
the first video you posted of you two playing i didnt realize you were watching a movie at first and thought you were on skype or something getting asked out, i was like "awkward" haha. really cool pics and vids though, seems like he has a cool personality.

Hahaha oh wow, that would of been just a little awkward :09: :54:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hmmmmm ok, thanks Justin, will have a think about it.. It would probably be easier just having him on his harness already, and he doesnt mind sitting still on my lap, but yeah, not sure :p

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yea hate to put it in such a gloomy way, but it's really the truth so I can't put it in any other context for you:(. It's a matter of personal choice kind of like taking a bird outside without a harness even though it may be clipped.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha thats ok! I wasnt planning on getting into a car crash ;) To get to town will be like a 20 minute drive, so Fargo doesnt mind sitting on my lap for that long, but yeah, better safe than sorry i guess :p

Do you think its better to start in a small shop or town with not many people, or just have a walk around and it will be fine.. Fargo loves people, i think he would say hello to anyone who walked past.. :09:
There is a heavy horse event i wanted to go look at next weekend, just walk around and watch stuff, do you think it would be ok? If he didnt like it, we could leave straight away :p

dakotab619

Mar 3, 2013
NC
Parrots
i have 2 love birds
i love going outside with my birds as well its so much fun and they seem to really enjoy it looks like your bird really enjoys it as well lol

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey I'd say go for it, I usually just take my guys right out and if they don't enjoy it they leave or can go on a stand far away at outreachs, most of my macaws have loved going out and do the same reaction as Fargo and say hi and talk and just act amazing.

I don't think it would be an issue and it would be good for lil fargo man, all birds need socialized so that would be the best way about it:).

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Today was an epic fail taking Valentino outside. I was able to get the harness on him. Was a bit of battle but I did it as quickly as I could by myself. I got him outside right when Lupe got home from work and as Lupe extended her hand to pet him Valentino must of thought she was going to take him from me so he took off from my hand. He was trying to fly away from us and I was thankful he was in the harness. As he got tired and tried to land on me he missed and was falling to the ground when Lupe tried to prevent him from falling to the ground he bit her so bad in the thumb area it is swollen with a huge hematomoa.

It took me a few mins to calm him down. Valentino was on my shoulder shoved up against my face looking around like something was going to get us. I got him to relax after several mins. Then these kids yell "IS THAT A REAL PARROT!" and started running to us and I had to yell.."WAIT THIS IS HIS FIRST TIME OUTSIDE." Valentino freaked again and the father called the kids back over.

I then started walking away from the kids playing and again tried to get him to calm down. I started having trouble breathing and easily got out of breath so I said to Lupe "We are both done. Gonna go back inside." After I got us back inside the house it became even harder for me to breath. I was working the harness off of Valentino and all I had left was to get the rest over his head when the asthma attack hit me so bad I could not inhale at all. I tried to use my rescue inhaler probably 10 or 15 times but I just could not get air. I could not breath. Valentino then flew to his Java tree all tangled up in the harness and I almost passed out from not being able to breath. Lupe said I turned ghost white and I was sweating so much my clothes were wet. Sweat was running down my face and I could not breath or cool down at all. Lupe almost called 911 but as she was trying to help me breath was coaching me to breath slower..hit the inhaler....breath slower that kind of thing. It took about 15 to 20 mins for the emergency to pass and Lupe took the rest of the harness of Valentino. Valentino was so freaked out he was breathing heavy and very very still. I was coming back from my asthma attack which was one of the worst I ever had.

Valentino and I spent the evening relaxing and cuddling. He got his "Momma Time" and after a through exam of all his limbs and wings he didn't suffer any damage from the harness/outside experience. I on the other hand have been having trouble all night with my breathing and my chest is so sore it hurts to breath.

After the news I fed Valentino his night time comfort feed and put him to bed. I am going to go to bed myself after a few of catch up on my computer stuff. I hope we feel better tomorrow but it will be a long while before I attempt to harness Valentino and bring him outside. I have never had a parrot as skittish as Valentino. None of my boys have ever freaked like Valentino did. They loved going outside and didn't mind the harness at all. *sigh* Today was kind of depressing because I don't know if Valentino will be the kind of parrot to wear his harness and enjoy being outside.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh my god... :eek: I am so sorry all that happened, what a horrible experience for you and Valentino!! :( The poor little guy must of been so scared! and to have an asthma attack as well.. wow! So glad you guys are both okay, except for Lupes thumb, ouch, and it seems Valentino is not grumpy at you, which is good :)
and hey, at least you got the harness on him, that is a huge step already, even though outside wasnt a good experience, you have basically overcome the challenge of teaching him to wear the harness!

A few months ago when we first started harness training Fargo got all tangled up in his harness and upset, but you can see he forgot all about the bad experiences and didnt have a problem wearing the harness, even though it had freaked him out :)

When you are ready give it another go, and you guys will have great experiences, and thats what Valentino will remember!

Have a good sleep, hope you feel better in the morning!

and thanks Lily, i agree :D haha

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WHAT a sweet treat! GREAT pictures and video, Tab!!! Fargo is having the time of his life, and you seem to be enjoying it equally as much. :D

You ought to put a saddle on your Golden (yup, I forgot his name again,...I know it's not Fabio anymore... ) and put Fargo on him :54: and take him along on your outings. :D

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Noble - I am so sorry that your experience was so awful. I am so glad both of you are ok. How scary for you both! I hope you are feeling better today as well as Valentino and Lupe.

I am hoping you will find the courage to try again another time. Now that you know his reaction you know what to expect. I would imagine it would only get better from here.

Again, glad all of you are ok!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Noble I was at a show once and a friend had brought out her greenwinged macaw, he was a very large greenwing but soooo laid back at her house very nice, no behavioral issues. She was planning to come out to this outreach I had asked her to bring the greenwing along and her goffins cockatoo. So she gets there and I look into alphies the greenwings carrier and he is in full defense mode and is not so happy in the carrier. So I offered him to come out and couple of times and then relized that I was going to have to deal with it. So I went in he bite me once or twice and o well that was my own fault but he needed to come out instead of being weird with the carrier.

So he comes out and I out him on a play stand and he's doing good, not so happy with people staring at him,but not hating t, getting used to it. So time goes by and me and him need to have a chance to talk about early lol! So I take him with me to the store that we were at to go look at dog stuff, well this bird has not been desensitized when you grab his long macaw tail( I teach all of my macaws, show birds or not touching there tail is a game and fun, I grab there tail and say ahhhhh and now they do it back).... So I am out with this big boy and I swear five or more kids came up and grabbed the birds tail there parents had to nooooo control over there kids. Every time his tail was grabbed he tore up my arm some more, not his fault but the idiots. Finally some kid comes up I went off on the kid for not asking before touching, the same group of children was around and were all bug eyed. I believe after that I didn't have another tail touching incident that day.... My arm was quite bruised and bloodied from people stupidity so you have to watch idiots out there.... Same kind of situation like I had, but not as painful to you.

I'd give it another go, but go somewhere quite and secluded like a park trail or something.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha thank you Wendy, im not sure if i like it more, or him hehe

LOL i think you need a little sticky note saying- Tabs dog is called Bilbo ;)
Usually when i go outside i tie him up cause apparently he used to chase chickens, but he has been off with him and was fine, just ran around like usual :p

Ouch Justin, those kids would of annoyed me, if a kid comes near Fargo i will just say- He will bite you!! :p

But yeah dont feel discouraged noble, is there a quiet place you can go?

I am probably lucky with Fargo, we live in the middle of no where, so he had nothing to worry about on his first times outside :)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lol I told them that and no matter how many times I said no someone still managed to grab his dang tail, I was pisssed lol.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Tab I love how devoted Fargo is to you and his love for you is so apparent in your videos and pictures. Your posts always makes me smile and I really do appreciate them. I will also add that I have also enjoyed your "other animals" posts too about your horses and dog. Love your animals family so much.

Today I am doing better but am not taking Valentino outside until after I work with him more. I was stunned that he flew away from me instead of staying with me trusting me to keep him safe. I am going to work harder with recall training and make sure he is 100% trained before I take him out again. I thought he was doing really well with recall but that is indoors in my home and he is not afraid of anything there.

Valentino is much more skittish than I thought him to be and I also realized he has only been with me since December 9th. He has not even been with me 5 months. I have to remember his age and that he has not been with me very long and I believe I expected way more from him than he was prepared for.

I have not given up on his harness and outdoor training but I am taking a giant step back. If I don't get him out this season then there is always next season.

I am feeling a bit better but am very sore. My chest hurts and my breathing is not the best. Lupe wanted to take me to the VA this afternoon but I refused. I just wanted to get the errands done. I need to go to a fundraiser dinner and if I don't feel right after that maybe I will go in then.

Have fun with Fargo and keep the pictures and videos coming!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you very much, i love my four boys more than anything haha :rolleyes: Even though i cant tell you how much stress they cause me :54:

Glad you are feeling better today, and Valentino is obviously back to being his cute self? :)

Well i got Fargo in september, so we have an extra 3 months on you! ;)

Oh dont feel bad that he tried to fly away, if i didnt have Fargo on a harness i promise you he would fly away, and im fairly sure, even though his recall is 100% inside, that he wouldnt come back haha

Although Fargo appears brave most of the time when hes in the house, he flies around so speedy like a dare devil, he is just a big mummas boy when he is unsure of something :p When we go out a few more times he should start getting more adventurous!

Exactly, there is no rush to get him on his harness, from here your bond can only increase, so i am sure in a years time he will still be fine putting on his harness!

Have fun at your dinner!! Take it easy today ! haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts