Green cheek died suddenly

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I can only echo what others have said and I also offer my deepest condolences. I'm glad you reached out and you should know this is a very safe and friendly environment. This forum if full of people who have a deep love for parrots and a desire to be helpful and supportive of one another. Sometimes with online communications, signals can get crossed and sometimes people may misunderstand things but I've never gotten a hint of animosity from anyone- just people who deeply care and are concerned for one another.

I do hope you take the advice of people here. I really think environmental issues should be addressed first and foremost. Hopefully, the vet can provide some answers. It could be so many things and I can't imagine the heartache and frustration you must feel and I truly hope you can get some definitive answers to put you at ease. Please keep us posted!

OP
M

Maccassie

Mar 27, 2017
The vet called back to say the bird apparently was eating her hammock which was made out of a fuzzy material. The fuzz then blocked up her intertines and didn't allow any food to pass and digest.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Oh, one of those Happy Huts! Those have killed more birds than you can imagine. Anybody who has one of those, get rid of it immediately!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good on you for finding out the reason. so 2 lessons to be learned.
Ditch those tent like sleeping huts.
And - always be aware of your parrots droppings, becasue they are a good indicator of the birds general health. Look up some threads and on line info about what a 'normal'poop looks like , what are OK variations ( ie if he eats a lot of fruit it may look different , etc etc) and what are danger signs. May be gross , but knowing what the birds been eating and passing are important part of parront-ship.

What was your conures name?

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
Thank you very much for this post, I just realized that Lily is very sick, her stool is definitely not normal, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, she has been chewing on a lot of blankets so thank you for this post, it helped to raise my awareness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, I'm glad that you were able to find out the cause, its tragic that it was one of those huts, but there have been so many stories of those causing deaths.

I give Skittles empty tissue boxes that I've cut the glue part off of as well as plain paper towels and unscented tissues for him to make a bed with.

He still has his bungee rope perches and I keep an eye on those.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thank you very much for this post, I just realized that Lily is very sick, her stool is definitely not normal, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, she has been chewing on a lot of blankets so thank you for this post, it helped to raise my awareness

My avian vet told me there is a fecal smear they can do that actually checks for fibers in their droppings. It's different than a gram stain which checks for bacteria and yeast problems. You may want to ask about that. Also, an x-ray may also be helpful.

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
Well, I'm glad that you were able to find out the cause, its tragic that it was one of those huts, but there have been so many stories of those causing deaths.

I give Skittles empty tissue boxes that I've cut the glue part off of as well as plain paper towels and unscented tissues for him to make a bed with.

He still has his bungee rope perches and I keep an eye on those.

What about regular bed sheets? Are those ok for them to chew on?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

I was wondering this too. How does one keep them from chewing whatever you use to cover the cage at night?

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017

I was wondering this too. How does one keep them from chewing whatever you use to cover the cage at night?

It's tough because her favorite thing to do is cuddle with me in my bed, she has a seperate sheet that she always loves to chew on I am so worried about her after reading this post

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
I've never had a parrot who was able to chew on what I used to cover the cage. First it was an army blanket, then special-made covers my parents made out of a heavy fabric, currently it's towels. All of those are too heavy for a parrot to chew on; in order to get a grip they'd have to lift the part than hangs below where they're gripping, and since they like to be high up they won't go down to the bottom just to chew. I'd be worried about a parrot being able to see through bed sheets anyways; if you hold them up to light and away from your face they're almost transparent.

I had a sun conure who had one of those tents, which came with him when I got him and he spent most of his time in when he was in his cage. He wasn't able to perch (I think it was a neurological issue) and never chewed on it, though the lovebird used to invade his cage (I started allowing it once I realized they got along), and he would chew at the straps that held it to the cage. So I made new straps out of twisted strips of dishtowel, and he couldn't get his little lovebird beak around them.

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
I've never had a parrot who was able to chew on what I used to cover the cage. First it was an army blanket, then special-made covers my parents made out of a heavy fabric, currently it's towels. All of those are too heavy for a parrot to chew on; in order to get a grip they'd have to lift the part than hangs below where they're gripping, and since they like to be high up they won't go down to the bottom just to chew. I'd be worried about a parrot being able to see through bed sheets anyways; if you hold them up to light and away from your face they're almost transparent.

I had a sun conure who had one of those tents, which came with him when I got him and he spent most of his time in when he was in his cage. He wasn't able to perch (I think it was a neurological issue) and never chewed on it, though the lovebird used to invade his cage (I started allowing it once I realized they got along), and he would chew at the straps that held it to the cage. So I made new straps out of twisted strips of dishtowel, and he couldn't get his little lovebird beak around them.

I am so worried now, my 'too has been chewing big holes in sheets and blankets, I didn't even know it could be a problem, I didn't know she could be ingesting it I am so worried now

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I got some plastic cutting sheets at the dollar store and I line the sides of the cage with them, because of the bar spacing of his sleep cage he can't reach them enough to chew on (whereas with fabric he can easily pull it in). I then used zip ties to hold it to the cage. Skittles doesn't chew on the zip ties cause they are too tight, too hard and in areas he doesn't go or have immediate access too.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Some food for thought about cage coverings....

Years ago I covered a cage with a thick sheet for darkness. One morning I happened to walk by the cage and noticed a section drawn between the bars. One of my young Goffins had torn a hole and inserted his head while somehow drawing it tight around his neck. Horrified, I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut him loose. While not overtly choking, it would have been far worse had he lost footing. Not sure the outcome if this had continued much longer. While there are many materials that are more robust and safer, I NEVER cover my birds!

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017

Years ago I covered a cage with a thick sheet for darkness. One morning I happened to walk by the cage and noticed a section drawn between the bars. One of my young Goffins had torn a hole and inserted his head while somehow drawing it tight around his neck. Horrified, I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut him loose. While not overtly choking, it would have been far worse had he lost footing. Not sure the outcome if this had continued much longer. While there are many materials that are more robust and safer, I NEVER cover my birds!

Why don't you cover your birds? I noticed that Lily is a very light sleeper, every time I walk in the room at night she'll say I love you, I wonder if she ever even sleeps, is this normal?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Why don't you cover your birds? I noticed that Lily is a very light sleeper, every time I walk in the room at night she'll say I love you, I wonder if she ever even sleeps, is this normal?

Fearing a repeat of a near-hanging. If it happened once it can occur again. They generally seem happy with the natural cycle of the day, though they probably get less sleep during the summer months.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I wouldn't want Skittles going nuts at 6a and waking people, lol.

He is a pretty deep sleeper, but I hear you about the materials. I had gotten a thick 300ct cotton sheet to cover his cage and did my best to make it so tight he couldn't pull on it, yet he was still able to get to it and chew on it.

I haven't had any issues after putting those plastic cutting sheets on the sides.

I would recommend doing that to anyone who feels the need (as I do) to cover your birds at night.

I never used to have to cover Peaches, but Skittles I do feel the need to.

emyoung858

Mar 2, 2017
I got some plastic cutting sheets at the dollar store and I line the sides of the cage with them, because of the bar spacing of his sleep cage he can't reach them enough to chew on (whereas with fabric he can easily pull it in). I then used zip ties to hold it to the cage. Skittles doesn't chew on the zip ties cause they are too tight, too hard and in areas he doesn't go or have immediate access too.

I might just buy a bird cage cover, she doesn't really sleep much it seems like, she is sick so I'd like to keep the cover off tonight to observe her because I think she's been falling off her perch at night, is this normal?? Poor thing, her bad balance might be in relation to her probable illness, we are going to the vet today so I hope we can get some answers

Sand1

Mar 30, 2017
Near Clearwater Florida
Parrots
Two Budgies six years old (in 2017)
my dad has a fancy detector, co2 etc. he found out the vent to his gas heater was crooked and leaking gas in his house. also preheating an oven (the coating in ovens kills birds) fumes from stoves, cookware, vent throughout the house, so u can stop the heat or air when cooking, so it wont vent into the room where your bird is. plugins, perfume, candle fumes kill birds.
i am so sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions