Green cheek died suddenly

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I'll take a picture of them in their package and attached to Skitty's sleep cage so you can see what I'm talking about. It's the best way to explain.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I can tell you why I bet, and I'm so very, very sorry to tell you this but I'm so angry right now I can hardly breath...It's the crushed walnut substrate at the bottom of the cage! First off birds don't need a substrate at all, for future reference, and I'm so sorry this happened this way. I own a bearded dragon and have had many reptiles in addition to birds. I can probably name 20+ people from my bearded dragon forum that have lost a young baby suddenly and they all used that damn crushed walnut substrate. I know many, more than 10, that had a necropsy done, and sure enough the lizard had the crushed walnut shells in either it's stomach or intestines, had internal bleeding, severe internal injuries from it shredding it's insides, etc. It's actually crushed walnut shells, not walnuts, so think about that...Broken up walnut shells, they are hard and extremely sharp. They accidentally eat a few pieces, go to sleep, and bleed to death internally, become severely impacted, etc. With the reptiles it's typically accidentally ingested when they lunge to eat a moving insect, but when it's a bird that dies from this stuff it's because they are walnut shells, they smell like walnuts, birds will pick at the crushed walnut shells, and it only takes a small amount to kill them quickly, or it builds up over days to weeks and eventually impacts them or slowly kills them from the bleeding...There are several petitions to stop pet stores like Petco and PetSmart from selling the stuff, it literally has killed thousands of pets.

I'm so, so sorry this has happened to you, but once again just for future reference birds don't need any substrate at the bottom of their cages at all, just newspaper...

As far as the other birds you've lost its a horrible thing to go through, losing 4 green cheeks that were a year old or younger in 5 years is not typical. Accidents happen, and if this was in fact the walnut shells substrate that certainly wasn't your fault. It's always good to take a look back and try to make sure you recognize why this has happened each time and take measures so it doesn't happen again. Birds do get sick and it's hard to tell because they hide it well, but having a certified avian vet and an emergency avian vet/hospital plan for 24 hours is a must.

I can't say much else except my heart goes out to you and especially to your son. If you do get a necropsy done please let me know if it was the crushed walnut shells, I'm guessing it was only because it has become so common I'm actually used to reading about it. It needs to stop being manufactured.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I can tell you why I bet, and I'm so very, very sorry to tell you this but I'm so angry right now I can hardly breath...It's the crushed walnut substrate at the bottom of the cage! First off birds don't need a substrate at all, for future reference, and I'm so sorry this happened this way. I own a bearded dragon and have had many reptiles in addition to birds. I can probably name 20+ people from my bearded dragon forum that have lost a young baby suddenly and they all used that damn crushed walnut substrate. I know many, more than 10, that had a necropsy done, and sure enough the lizard had the crushed walnut shells in either it's stomach or intestines, had internal bleeding, severe internal injuries from it shredding it's insides, etc. It's actually crushed walnut shells, not walnuts, so think about that...Broken up walnut shells, they are hard and extremely sharp. They accidentally eat a few pieces, go to sleep, and bleed to death internally, become severely impacted, etc. With the reptiles it's typically accidentally ingested when they lunge to eat a moving insect, but when it's a bird that dies from this stuff it's because they are walnut shells, they smell like walnuts, birds will pick at the crushed walnut shells, and it only takes a small amount to kill them quickly, or it builds up over days to weeks and eventually impacts them or slowly kills them from the bleeding...There are several petitions to stop pet stores like Petco and PetSmart from selling the stuff, it literally has killed thousands of pets.

I'm so, so sorry this has happened to you, but once again just for future reference birds don't need any substrate at the bottom of their cages at all, just newspaper...

As far as the other birds you've lost its a horrible thing to go through, losing 4 green cheeks that were a year old or younger in 5 years is not typical. Accidents happen, and if this was in fact the walnut shells substrate that certainly wasn't your fault. It's always good to take a look back and try to make sure you recognize why this has happened each time and take measures so it doesn't happen again. Birds do get sick and it's hard to tell because they hide it well, but having a certified avian vet and an emergency avian vet/hospital plan for 24 hours is a must.

I can't say much else except my heart goes out to you and especially to your son. If you do get a necropsy done please let me know if it was the crushed walnut shells, I'm guessing it was only because it has become so common I'm actually used to reading about it. It needs to stop being manufactured.

Crushed walnut! Am sure this was part of the cause!

This reply from the OP is buried several pages back.
The vet called back to say the bird apparently was eating her hammock which was made out of a fuzzy material. The fuzz then blocked up her intertines and didn't allow any food to pass and digest.
Put the two together spells a death sentence for these poor birds!

Off topic, your beardies, over the years, I have raised and sold hundreds! I now just keep a few as pets.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

The vet called back to say the bird apparently was eating her hammock which was made out of a fuzzy material. The fuzz then blocked up her intertines and didn't allow any food to pass and digest.

Off topic, your beardies, over the years, I have raised and sold hundreds! I now just keep a few as pets.
That damned crushed walnut! I bet I see a death a week on my bearded dragon forums from that stuff! Well, that and no UVB light at all..[emoji22]

I love my beardie! They are so lovable! People just don't know!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

That damned crushed walnut! I bet I see a death a week on my bearded dragon forums from that stuff! Well, that and no UVB light at all..[emoji22]

I love my beardie! They are so lovable! People just don't know!

Absolutely heartbreaking, and so preventable. Newbies need honest information for safety, and enough legitimate accessories can be sold to earn a respectable profit. Trading known verified hazardous goods is dreadful and contemptible.

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! All of my birds have a Happy Hut and I am now doing some serious reconsideration. It is so painful to lose an animal. We went through a period of losing 4 relatively young horses in 5 years to different causes beyond our control and felt so bad. The last one was last year on my birthday. I woke up to find my 15-year-old mare dead for no reason. The heartache is terrible.

I am so glad that you are reaching out for more information. What you have found may very well save other fids!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I felt terrible after I took Skitty's snuggle hut away. It broke my heart. But he adapted very well. Now, I put an empty tissue box (with the glue & plastic parts cut out) on the bottom of the cage and he climbs in and hides in it at night. I layer the bottom with paper towels so he can make a bed if he wants. He loves them and doesn't miss his snuggle hut one bit.

I go through enough tissues that replacing the boxes is pretty convenient. He does chew on the boxes but I always find tons of little pieces of cardboard under the grate of his cage.

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Thank you very much for this post, I just realized that Lily is very sick, her stool is definitely not normal, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, she has been chewing on a lot of blankets so thank you for this post, it helped to raise my awareness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did your appointment go?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Most Reactions