Green wing: Kalani's official thread.

MacawMomma

Jun 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Katie the Catalina Macaw
Love this guy, but lets be honest... he has pliers and wire cutters for a face.

jzyya0.jpg

Those beaks are huge, aren’t they!!! [emoji33]❤️

I never thought about it until I compare my GW to my Catalina [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
ADOPT DON’T SHOP [emoji172]

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Love this guy, but lets be honest... he has pliers and wire cutters for a face.

jzyya0.jpg

Those beaks are huge, aren’t they!!! [emoji33]❤️

I never thought about it until I compare my GW to my Catalina [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
ADOPT DON’T SHOP [emoji172]

Yep. Kalani is very good at adjusting his pressure to convey exactly what he wants to express!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honestly, Don, has Kalani ever nailed you good? I love B&Gs but them beaks just freak me out. I been bit, good, by lots of Amazons ( mostly DYHs ), but just imagining the size of the chunk o'meat a big mac could take out......

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
It is a good thing most parrots do not have a GW sized beak!

My experience with "Rocky" for about 12 years was wonderful. I don't recall him ever breaking the skin but he was capable of pinching with that giant beak.
Gentle giants indeed, though there must be some exceptions. I'm thinking Kalani follows the mould of "gentle."

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
He will occasionally "crush" fairly hard if he is frightened or very displeased. He can also pinch enough to break skin. These things are rare, but enough to be pretty painful. That being said, no where near what a large macaw is capable of. I can't imagine him ever using his full capability unless someone pinned him on the floor and he was fighting for his life!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Well, some of you know that Flower, the umbrella, says "Look at Flower!" We usually honor that with the same response.

Well tonight, Kalani said "Look at Flower!" I don't think he'd be saying it, if he knew what it meant!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Well, some of you know that Flower, the umbrella, says "Look at Flower!" We usually honor that with the same response.

Well tonight, Kalani said "Look at Flower!" I don't think he'd be saying it, if he knew what it meant!

That is too funny!! :2_smile::2_smile:

Parrot_775

Banned
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Parrots
GCC Beauty - GCC Beast - Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Woodstock - Cockatoo is Gone - Cockatiel Stella
Hello I think I might get a Green Winged Macaw do you think I should and All your birds are beautiful I got a cockatoo too

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Hello I think I might get a Green Winged Macaw do you think I should and All your birds are beautiful I got a cockatoo too

Thank you.

That question comes with SO many layers; unfortunately I cannot answer it for you. I recommend reading all the macaw stickies on the forum, and doing as much research as possible in every facet.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Hey, I am going to start a thread soon The parrot in my profile passed about 3 years ago. I learned about the Green Wing and I got one at 3 months old. Rudy will be 3 June 6th. Locally he is very much the celebrity. I used the info from this forum. It turns out it waaaaaas waaaaaaay easier than I thought it would be.

Now on the other hand. If I offer advice, I have no idea of whether you can apply my own personal experience. I noticed the flight harness trial and tribulation. My Rudy is free flighted indoors (with a harness on outside) . It is quite easy.

Set him on a chair back with the expanded harness on the seat covered with a light weight shirt material 8"x8"
Keep one hand on his foot , grab the shirt material with the other hand and drape it over his head.
Slip the Harness XXLarge expanded over his head.
Pull the loop back and push a wing thru the opening
Then do the other wing
Thats when I slip the hood off him.
I am able to then cinch it up around his waste.

Now I am sure I can make it look quite easy. Its probably best I take a video and show you in 45 second or less how easy it is... for me,, ok ending sorta funny comment.

Rudy runs from me when he knows full well we are going outside. it has been a struggle. What I don't understand is that he is so well behaved, talks a lot when we are walking out the door. yet he seems determined not to be harnessed. Ok Ive typed enough for now
attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Flower was in the living room on her stand. I brought Kalani out, and as we entered the room he exclaimed, "Hi Flower!"

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Flower was in the living room on her stand. I brought Kalani out, and as we entered the room he exclaimed, "Hi Flower!"

Ive got a similar variation.. The first thing Rudy said was.. "Hi Rudy" I would reply with Hello or "I'm not Rudy" guess what he also says now..

"I'm not Rudy":D

sooo... now I respond with every variation,,, here is what I am getting now ..

he is saying...

kajgudsenv;vrn;snrfnlsecnrvlsrc

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

Ive got a similar variation.. The first thing Rudy said was.. "Hi Rudy" I would reply with Hello or "I'm not Rudy" guess what he also says now..

"I'm not Rudy":D

sooo... now I respond with every variation,,, here is what I am getting now ..

he is saying...

kajgudsenv;vrn;snrfnlsecnrvlsrc

At least it's his own name.. I guess "Flower" is easier than "Kalani"

Most Reactions

Latest posts