Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving

Mimisaidso

Nov 24, 2011
Springdale, AR
Parrots
Luigi-Green Cheeked Conure
Hello all,

My name is Melanie and I am the proud owner of my first Conure. His name is Luigi and I have had him for 2 1/2 weeks. I think he is about 2-3 mo old and no, I'm not sure he is male. The only birds I have had in the past were parakeets and I've always desired to have a Cockatiel or Parrot but really wanted a smaller bird that is smart and trainable. So,Luigi it is.
The first day, he got two chunks out of my finger and I decided that was not going to dictate how our relationship was going to go. I knew I needed to get control and quickly. I started by giving him a negative noise "eh, eh" followed by "no biting". Also, got him finger trained in one day. Each day we have been working on a new trick. His currency is raisins. He loves them and knows the word but can't say it. He gets a raisin followed by "good boy" frequently after good behavior and learning a new trick.:rainbow1:
As of today, I can full body pet him, he takes baths in the sink, I can towel dry him and blow dry him with my hair dryer. When he gets attitude with me, I pick him up around his wings, can turn him upside down and pet his belly. This also allowed me to clip his toenails a bit to get the sharpness off. He didn't like it, but he has not drawn blood again. And now he can Wolf whistle back and forth with me. I think we're off to a great start!

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Welcome to the forum and Happy Thanksgiving to You! Do you have any pictures of Luigi? Also, What type of conure is he?

OP
M

Mimisaidso

Nov 24, 2011
Springdale, AR
Parrots
Hi Chadwick,
Luigi is a Green Cheek. He has red feathers on his belly in the shape of a heart. I do have pics but I don't know how to post them yet. I'm just learning how to navigate in the forum. I will post as soon as I figure it out.

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Congrats on your new Green Cheek! With your description possibly a Yellow Sided Green Cheek!

OP
M

Mimisaidso

Nov 24, 2011
Springdale, AR
Parrots
Ohhhhhhh!!!! Thanks so much, Chadwick! I just searched for Yellow Sided Green Cheeks. Now I know what Luigi is.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Welcome! Your training with Luigi seems to be getting along great! Word of caution, though: some hair dryers can be dangerous for birds (some forms of heated metal give off lethal chemicals).

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Sounds like you're off to a great start... Congratulations on your GCC..

Most Reactions

Latest posts