Guys please help me

bokiparrot

Nov 19, 2018
Guys sorry for my bad English I had a parrot for like 10 years and he died I bought new one after like 1 week my friends gifted me one more a girl now I have boy and girl for like 1 month.Now my problem is they are ignoring me and they are scared of me. When I bought my first one I touched him and give him food and he was cool with that when I buy a girl they are both scared how can I gain their trust :(

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That is likely because they have bonded to each other. You can try separating their cages, but that will likely upset them as well.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, and please accept my deep condolences for the loss of your parrot.

Can you give us more details about your two new birds? The species, and whether they were supposedly hand-raised, or wild?

It is generally best to begin with one bird, and quarantine (keep separate) for at least 30 days in case disease is present. Caging them together may result in them bonding and ignoring you.

There are many ways to gain their trust. This thread shares a few: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html Knowing the species and origin will help members give better advice!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Welcome to our community! I'm sorry that you lost your first bird after only 10 years, but glad that you now have a new flock...

Can we ask what species of parrots your two birds are? And do you know their ages? Have you seen your two birds actually mating?

***As already mentioned above by a few members, the issue that you have is that you have two birds of the same species who have bonded very closely with one another, and now they want little to nothing to do with people..This is not at all uncommon and happens all the time. It's nothing that you did that was wrong, it's just their natural instincts...

***When you bring home a single parrot into your home, the people who live in that household become the bird's "flock", as they are flock animals, but typically the bird will bond extremely closely with only one person in the household. And there is no rhyme or reason why the bird chooses the person that they do to be "their person"...So when you originally brought home your first bird by itself, YOU bonded closely with him and you became "his person", and he loved to spend time with you, interact with you, etc. However, no matter how closely you bonded with your first bird, when you brought home the second bird of the same species and of the opposite gender of your first bird, unfortunately the two birds immediately bonded very closely with one another; and when a bird bonds closely to a person and then also bonds closely to a new bird living in the household, or in their "flock", unfortunately the bird typically always chooses their bond with another bird over their bond with a person. It's just how nature works, and it makes sense if you think about it, they would rather be closely bonded with another bird than with a human being. And especially one of the same parrot species and of the opposite sex, that's just how nature works...But unfortunately when this happens, there is little that you can do to regain that relationship you once had with your bird unless you separate your two birds, don't allow them to mate with one another, that's a given, and don't allow them to really interact much with each other at all, because as long as they are in-contact with each other at all, they are going to want to be with each other and not with you...

This is why most "breeding-pairs" of birds are sold as "breeding-pairs" rather than being sold as "pet" birds, because they are bonded to one-another and they want little to nothing to do with people...You can always try to spend a ton of one-on-one time with each individual bird by yourselves, away in a room with the door shut where the other bird is out of sight, and see if that might strengthen your bond with him again, but as Noodles already said, unless you totally separate the two birds, house them each in their own cages, and keep them from interacting with one another, he's probably not going to want much to do with you...And separating them but still keeping the female bird in the same house is probably just going to make him very frustrated, angry, and unwilling to want much to do with you.. I don't want to tell you to "re-home" the female bird if you want to have a close relationship with your male bird again, as it's not the female's fault at all that this happened and she deserves a good home too (and honestly often when you bring home a second bird, even of the opposites sex, they don't bond with one another at all, they often hate each other and can't be put together at all, you're birds just happened to really bond closely quickly!)

I wouldn't allow them to mate because you don't want to end-up with a bunch of baby parrots you might have to hand-feed every 2 hours (including overnight) if they happen to abandon them, not want to feed them, become violent with them, etc.), so I think you need to house them separately regardless of what you ultimately decide to do, otherwise you'll simply have a "breeding-pair" of birds. They should each be in their own cages, and this might allow you to spend some one-on-one time with your male to see if he's willing to want to be close with you as long as he's not housed with the female...But if he is still not wanting much to do with you, or if he becomes even more angry, frustrated, or even violent with you, then I'm not sure what to tell you to do, other than provide them with a great, loving home, and spend as much one-on-one time as you can with both birds.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
What species are you birds?

budgy, macaw?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
If they are 1-2 months old they wouldn't be weaned, they'd still be being fed by their parents or you would have to be hand-feeding them????

OP
B

bokiparrot

Nov 19, 2018
Im not 100% sure about age guy where i bought them tell me the male is 1 month old and when my friends gifted me he said they are same

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
Im not 100% sure about age guy where i bought them tell me the male is 1 month old and when my friends gifted me he said they are same

time is the solution dont force them it can take a month even more they need time please dont over rush and just let time be your friend!!!!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Well are they eating solid food on their own, or are you having to hand-feed them formula? Because if they are fully-weaned and eating solid food on their own, then they are older than 1-2 months. The point I was getting at is that if they are younger than 1 year old, they shouldn't be mating/breeding, but if you have them housed together and they are already bonded very closely with one another, it's only a matter of time before they start mating, if they haven't already. And this is very bad for a female bird that is under a year old, as her body is not at all ready to start laying clutches of eggs...But that is what is going to happen...

Now they are likely much older than 1-2 months, I assure you they are because at 1 month they wouldn't even have their feathers yet, and at 2 months they would still be unweaned and being fed by their parents or by the breeder with hand-feeding formula. So they are definitely older than 1-2 months, however, they could still be as young as 4 months, and this is far too young to allow them to start breeding. A young female who starts laying eggs before her body is ready to do so often becomes Egg-Bound, which is 100% fatal without medical intervention, and happens suddenly without warning. She also is still developing and growing physically, and if she starts laying eggs while she's still young, the calcium and phosphorous will be leeched from her bones to form the eggs, and this causes severe developmental issues and "stunting"...

So, when you combine the fact that they are already so closely bonded to one another that your male has already stopped wanting any relationship with you, and they will likely start mating soon if they haven't already, and the fact that they are apparently well under a year old and too young to breed, then this tells me the best thing you could do is to separate them into their own, individual cages so that they cannot mate. This MIGHT also allow you to start having some type of relationship with each of them, as they won't be a "breeding pair" of birds. You could allow their cages to sit next to each other still, this will allow them to still be able to see each other and talk to each other, but they won't be able to mate as long as you don't let them out together unsupervised and you watch them closely when they are out together...But this will likely still not help your issue with your male not wanting to be bonded to you anymore...

This particular situation has nothing to do with the fact that they "just need time", as the male was already bonded to the OP prior to him bringing a female into the picture...The bottom-line to this situation is that when you already have a bird at home that you are bonded to, you are it's "person", and then you decide to bring home a second bird, you never have any way of knowing how the two birds are going to react to each other. They may love each other and bond closely to each other and want nothing to do with people any longer, like these two did, or they might like each other but not closely bond to each other enough to mate or stop wanting human-interaction, or they may simply tolerate each other but not want anything to do with each other, or they may hate each other and be violent and aggressive with each other...You can't ever guess what relationship your current bird will have with a new bird until you put them together...and one of the risks is that they will bond this closely and want nothing to do with people any longer, and there is an equal risk that they will hate each other and be aggressive and violent with each other and not be able to be together at all...you just don't know until you get the new bird home unfortunately...This is why you should NEVER buy a second bird FOR your first bird, but rather only because YOU want a second bird to be your friend...

Either way, you cannot allow these two to start mating/breeding at such a young age, as it is very detrimental to your female's physical health at possibly as young as 4 months old...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
urm, you missed a bit ellen. The budgie that was bonded was a different bird who died, these are both new birds (from different places)

but yes 100% they are bonded with each other and are most certainly over 1 month old so whoever told you that is a liar (why they would say only 1 month I don't know) separate the pair into 2 different cages near each other, let them be friends/neighbours but the last thing you want to do is to have to care for a bunch of baby birds.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
urm, you missed a bit ellen. The budgie that was bonded was a different bird who died, these are both new birds (from different places)

but yes 100% they are bonded with each other and are most certainly over 1 month old so whoever told you that is a liar (why they would say only 1 month I don't know) separate the pair into 2 different cages near each other, let them be friends/neighbours but the last thing you want to do is to have to care for a bunch of baby birds.

Okay, I totally missed that, and I apologize for that...So both birds are brand new and neither was with the OP for very long...Okay...Well let's start that over then...Luckily the end-result is the same and the advice is the same, lol...

Yeah, they are not even close to 1 month old, that's ridiculous to even tell anyone...Although there still hasn't been an answer given to the question "Are they both eating solid food only, or are you hand-feeding them formula?"...For all we know the OP might be hand-feeding them formula and they aren't weaned, which would mean they actually are between 1-2 months old...And if that's the case then there is a whole other world of issues going on...

****I have owned Budgies since I was 6 years-old, and bred/hand-raised/hand-fed them for just about 20 years, both American and English Budgies. And unfortunately they have a very strong tendency to start mating/breeding very young, way too young for their health, as well as a tendency to continually lay clutches of eggs, one right after the other after the other, which typically ends-up killing the female either due to Egg-Binding or due to a Nutritional Deficiency because they cannot replace the nutrition they are using to make and lay eggs fast enough.

*****Could you post a photo of both your Budgies? This is going to enable us to tell you a LOT of information about your birds, including their estimated ages, the genders (depending on their ages), etc. Make sure that you get a photo of both birds entire body, and then a second photo of each bird showing a close-up of their head/face, as we need to see their entire body to see feather quality and age, but also need a closer photo of their head and face to be able to see their cere/nostrils and their foreheads.

It will be much easier to give you accurate information/advice if we know more about the age, gender, and overall health condition of your birds, and a few photos will help greatly.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
no worries ellen, just thought I would clear confusion!

Yes I am hoping these budgies are actually 3 or 4 months old, pure speculation from me but maybe could've meant 1 month after being weaned? Hopefully OP comes back and highlights some info.

Fingers crossed these Budgies become more friendly with their human, and stick away from mating with each other

Most Reactions

Latest posts