Had a couple questions...

Budgielover14

Oct 2, 2017
Hello! It's my first time posting here so I'll do a bit of an intro. I've been a huge bird enthusiast and had two lovely parakeets when I was ten. I am currently 19 living with my older brother and a one year old black-capped conure I adopted from a gentleman in Kansas City who had to adopt the little guy away when his bonded pair didn't accept him.

I have had a few things come up that I could use help with, and since I've been a part of a few online bird communities before I know how friendly and helpful everyone is!

Chewie (named so partly from my love of Star Wars and his habit of "tasting" just about everything) has recently grown apprehensive towards my hands, I suspect because he does not see them as an extension of my body. He has bitten before, I do not believe from aggression or fear, but it has broken skin before. He is also not comfortable with touch. My question would be how to acclimate him to touch and discourage any biting/really hard nibbling of my hands. I have tried a firm verbal 'No' and that doesn't really work.

I have taught him some rudimentary "tricks" like 'turn-around' and 'wave', I would like to do more, but he no longer seems to like spray millet anymore. Every time I give him some he just grinds it with his beak and lets it fall to the bottom of the cage. He likes individual seeds included in his food mix, should I take those out and use them as a special treat or find something else? What usually works, are there certain treats that all conures usually enjoy, or should I try a bunch of stuff until I find "the one"? Thank you for your help!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

Let me ask, how long have you had this conure? And are there particular scenarios where he is more likely to nip/bite? Like near/in his cage? Or whenever someone walks into the room?

Does he step up readily? Does he ever just hang out on your hand without resorting to biting?

Answering these questions will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with, here.

As for the motivating treats, yes, I think removing the seeds from his regular meals and using them only as special treats is a great idea! And not only because the seeds would be a good motivator, but also because seeds in general are too fatty a food to be a main staple of his diet. Also, your other example of trying foods until you find "the one" is a solid approach as well. A good way to do this is by finding 5 foods that he really likes and presenting them to him all at once. Then take note of the order in which he goes for them. In that way, he'll let you know which food he'd prefer for training.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Welcome to ParrotForums! I agree with Anansi, remove the seeds or whatever treat he likes from his regular diet and only use it for training. It looks like you're doing well so far, wave and turn around are both great tricks to start with. Some more tricks to teach include "wings" (spreads wings on cue) "bat bird" (hang upside down from finger) "come" (flies to you on command, aka recall) and "shake" (shake hands). Trick training is a great way to bond with your bird, so good luck with your training!

OP
B

Budgielover14

Oct 2, 2017
I have had him since January, It's usually when he's in or on his cage. He usually just flies around when something startles him. He used to be really good about stepping up but now he just nips at my fingers and stares at me like he doesn't know whats going on. Once he's on my hand he usually wont, he'll also hang out on my shoulder just fine. Sorry for the late response, I was driving home :)

Edit: I actually don't know what his gender is, I just don't feel right saying "it"

Last edited:

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
To teach him to step up, target train him and give him treats every time he does it. He might be protective of his cage, so don't stick your hand in there and instead lure him out with treats or targeting. Also, it's great that he's fully flighted! Do some flight recall training with him, as that will make him want to come to you.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Yeah don't reach into his cage if he's not comfortable with that, open the cage wait for him to come out or hold your hand near the entrance. His cage is his castle. After a while after he's super bonded he won't even care but for now the cage is his safe space.

It is ok to change his water and food dishes, they usually have slots of their own, but don't go pawing at him.

:gcc:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Just to add, if you're taking the seeds/a type of seed out of his food to give as a training treat you need to make sure you take it all out so he only gets it when he works with you.

Sounds like you have a lovely relationship and bond with him.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Insofar as training, I rotate the various treats I use, otherwise Kermit gets bored and it looses its potency. I guess it's like having icecream for breakfast; after a while, it's no longer as exciting.

Favorites she enjoys are sunflower seeds, blueberries, and safflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are a sure bet with most parrots, though Kermit just has a special preference for blueberries LOL.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I have had him since January, It's usually when he's in or on his cage. He usually just flies around when something startles him. He used to be really good about stepping up but now he just nips at my fingers and stares at me like he doesn't know whats going on. Once he's on my hand he usually wont, he'll also hang out on my shoulder just fine. Sorry for the late response, I was driving home :)

Edit: I actually don't know what his gender is, I just don't feel right saying "it"

Sounds like he's become somewhat territorial around his cage. It's not uncommon for that kind of behavior to crop up at around one year old. In cases like this, it's best to set up a training area in a different room from the cage rather than attempting to train him through his territorial aggression. As FlyBirdiesFly pointed out, he can be lured out of his cage with treats or a perch can be offered in lieu of your hand for him to step up. Once he's out of sight of his cage, his aggressive tendencies will likely decrease significantly.

BTW, one method that can sometimes decrease territorial behavior over a cage is to provide more than one "home base". I did this by using my birds' travel cages as sleeping cages. This actually serves two functions. For one, it spreads out the places that they consider home, which makes them less fiercely protective of one or the other. And as a great by-product, it also got my birds used to going into said travel cages without a fuss before it was necessary for a vet visit or something. (I've seen people who have had to wrestle their birds into one when under the pressure of trying to make an appointment. It did not look like a pleasant experience.)

Here is a link that might help with identifying other possible causes of biting: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

And a link that goes into bite pressure training: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Aaaaaaaaaand 2 links to videos on target training:
[ame="https://youtu.be/HaOicTtwIZo"]Beginners guide to target training parrots - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/a6iRRum5lPU"]Parrot behavior and training workshop - Targeting - YouTube[/ame]

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
For stepping up, use a stick to break the habit! I can read JoJo, somewhat, and I just have him step up on a stick when he is in that mode!

The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs.

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
My guy will only step up nicely onto my hand after he gets freaked out and flies somewhere. I'm allowed to "rescue" him but any other time i use a perch as a stick and don't handle him with my hands. He lives to bite me lol. I don't really care, just means i need an extra tool ;) funny enough he adores my fiancee and has NEVER bitten him, which is good as a) he doesn't like birds that much, and b) is Nibbler flies to him anytime i startle him or ask him to do something he's not in the mood for trick wise XD

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello, and welcome!

I'm only good at teaching a bird to terrorize a household, so I'll leave you in all these good hands!

Most Reactions

Latest posts