Had a Huge Scare When My Bird Escaped His Bird Pak Outside

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I take my alexandrine for walks in a bird backpack. For awhile there's been a small opening where he had chewed on the teeth of the zipper from the outside. I usually keep that opening closed with tape/stitches but it's been awhile since I've checked on it.

Throughout the walk my bird kept climbing around, which is a little unusual but I figured he was hanging by his beak (one of his favorite things to do). As I got close to my apartment I heard a noise, looked back, and saw my bird emerge from the hole in my backpack.

I froze for a few seconds thinking what my options were. I know he would step up but he doesn't like being held, and there's no way I'm moving my hand fast enough to grab him. If I got him on my hand, I would have to maneuver awkwardly to take off the backpack, unzip it, and put him in it again.

So I went with my gut and just powerwalked it back home with my bird out. I went the long way through my complex, inside all the apartments, away from all the roads. I kept whistling and calling him a good bird the entire time. Eventually he just climbed from the backpack to my shoulder and stayed there till we got back inside.

I am so glad he didn't fly away. I think since he's so used to his walks, he knew we were about to be home anyway and just chilled. I was also lucky that no cars, people, dogs, or wild birds came by at that time. Honestly if it was just me and my bird and nothing else around I wouldn't be so worried, but butterflies and moths have scared my bird before.

So the moral of the story is, always do maintenance checks on your equipment.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Wow that was scary! Was the carrier called pak-o-bird?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
That was a very scary lesson to learn. It must have seemed like a long journey before you got your bird safely back inside. I'm glad your adventure had a happy ending.

OP
K

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
It was the pak-o-bird. I really like the carrier, I just made a mistake a long time ago letting my bird play on top of it while we were inside, he chewed up part of the zipper so it can't close completely.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Things like this are exactly why I "outside trained" all my birds.

And I do evening walks with my three that go out and about, and they have been recalled, startle trained, and stay put trained as well. (We've had dogs jump on us, kids run up to us, bikes and skateboards whiz by, and one of my birds has even been to the Carnaval Parade in SF - 450,000 people, loud music, floats, NO HARNESS... nothing phases that bird!

Maggie, for example, will come with me to Starbucks. She's not allowed inside. But I will set her down on the back of a chair, go in and get my coffee, and come outside ten minutes later she's right where I left her...

I take her playstand with me when I go to the laundrymat, and set her down outside. Do my laundry, and play with her in between washing and drying.

Never had an incident with it.

If you take birds outside, I highly recommend doing it! It's a lot of work, but it pays off in the end.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
O man. I bet that was scary! Sounds like now would be a good time to get that zipper replaced (the company repairs them or a local leather shop/seamstress might too).

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm glad you posted this! I use the pak-o-bird daily on our bike rides. I also have it set up in my bedroom, so my conure can go in and play or eat. I've noticed my budgies like to hang out on top and screw around. Had to singe off any loose threads...it all starts with a loose thread. They make the extra-reinforced ones, you might want to consider that option if your bird is a heavy/sneaky chewer. I'll definately keep a close eye on mine. I've had to keep a decorative placemat on top of it to keep it safe from the budgie chew & poop machines. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm glad you posted this! I use the pak-o-bird daily on our bike rides. I also have it set up in my bedroom, so my conure can go in and play or eat. I've noticed my budgies like to hang out on top and screw around. Had to singe off any loose threads...it all starts with a loose thread. They make the extra-reinforced ones, you might want to consider that option if your bird is a heavy/sneaky chewer. I'll definately keep a close eye on mine. I've had to keep a decorative placemat on top of it to keep it safe from the budgie chew & poop machines. :)

Kiwi likes to sit on top of his too, though he hasn't bothered the zipper and goes back in to poop:D. That bird loves his backpack like his second home! He may live in there if given the chance:11:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
My patty is enthused with zippers also & had me worried enough to take her to an emergency yet service to get X-rays when I couldn't find all the zipper parts after I discovered she'd ruined the zippers of two leather coats.....I used to stay after the kids for leaving their coats laying around.....glad they weren't around when I found out Heidi's new choice of toys.....I really would have gotten a razzing about that.....

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
WOW !! Unbelievable [so glad he stayed with you]

Most Reactions

Latest posts