Hahn behavior issues (squawking and biting clothes)

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Yeah i agree with birdy momma. Positive reinforcement is always best. That goes for any animal. I have done rescue a better part of my life. You never get anywhere with scare tactics or yelling. I can tell by your posts you are frustrated and your Hahn's may sense that too and react more. I would take a step back and think about any changes, such as amount of time out of cage, routine, or even whether you are arguing with your girlfriend. I know when we raise our voice Hahnna will tell everyone to shut up.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Someone please do something. TRIMMING THE BIRDS BEAK was mentioned as an acceptable means of stopping the bird from chewing clothes.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
bit again. ...so I told her to step up and she complied. As I started walking to her cage she ran up my shoulder so I could get get her in. So I put her on top of the cage and told her to step up again. This time she lowered her beak, backed away, and as i put my arm closer she lunged for it and bit me, drawing blood....

Ok, you are frustrated, bloody and asking for help. Some are going to be upset with the toweling and punishment, but they are looking out for your bird.

I adopted a scarlet, and they are known to be biters so I always have handled her with some caution and have gotten good at reading parrots. That's why I asked about things leading up to the bites. That is how I have taught myself to avoid them. ;)

Lowering the beak and backing away is a warning. As warnings go, she was giving you a very nice warning. (no bite, no blood) You were the one that then escalated the situation by moving your arm towards her after she warned you.

So the ball is in your court. You have to decided if you want a relationship where you force her to comply or one were you read her and figure out a way where she wants to do what you want here to do. That takes a lot more work, but I think it is a lot stronger bond.
For me, I would put the towel away unless it was an emergency and work with rewards. If you want any tips, just ask. I'm no expert, but I'm bite free for about six months, and with a scarlet, I think that is pretty good. :D

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
This has become a major issue for my girlfriend; my six year old Hahn Macaw, Mia, keeps poking holes in our clothes. Most recently I was watching a movie and Mia flew over to hang out with, crawling around, doing birdy things, but when we got up my gf noticed the bird had bit a hole in her dress.
Another instance is I was laying on my bed with my laptop and the bird crawled under the laptop in between my legs and bit a hole in my favorite shorts. Of course I notice it too late to punish her for it, but it seems to happen when we are distracted by other things. Should I just keep her in her cage unless I can give her my full attention? Which brings me to the squawking....
She will squawk constantly if she's in her cage except while sleeping at night. If she's awake, she wants to be attached to me or exploring the condo. Her cage is a good size with lots of toys. She would rather be out the cage playing with a blanket or paper shopping bag.
Are these normal issues for Macaws or should I do something differently?
Help!

I am reading this again. Just my opinion but this is what I think. 1. The most common mistake people make when they get a parrot is to spend more time with them then they will be able to later on. Another words, the parrot is new and like a new toy you play with it non stop until either you cannot anymore or you grow tired. The bird does not understand why at one time it was out all the time and now it is locked in the cage more. 2. Parrots are not domesticate animals. They will chew and destroy. They should not be punished for this behavior, they will have no idea why you are angry with them for doing what is natural. Rather then punish, give them something to do to deter her from dong what you do not want her to do. Is your girlfriend fairly new? She may be a little jealous if you have spent all,your time with her, then the girlfriend comes and she is kind of plopped to,the side. Something has happened to change her, and it is your job to find out what it is and fix it. As humans we expect a wild animal to conform to us, but it does not work that way. Just saying.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
Hey hahnyboy,

I feel bad because it seems like everyone is giving you tough love, but I believe it is because we are all doing it because we have been there and done that.

As far as biting clothes, I think that birds like to do it and they also do it when they are nervous or a little afraid. When I take Skittles to our Farmers Market, she seems to enjoy it, but at times she does snuggle in close and bite my shirt. It is like she uses it a security blanket...

Oh, if I dare to wear a buttoned shirt, she knows that must be a new chew toy... :D

Last edited:
OP
H

hahnyboy

Dec 15, 2013
new orleans
Parrots
Mia - Hahn Macaw
I only towel her if I'm bloody. I dont beat her, she's not traumatized after, she talks to me and wants to come out right away but I leave her in her cage for 30 minutes or so.
I do give her positive praise when i handle her and she behaves. when she gets in her cage without a fuss she gets a treat.
I do not know for certain her sex. I've had her since she was a baby and have never had any trouble out of her as far as biting and drawing blood until about a month ago. She has been trying to hump my hand a lot so maybe a male? That also started about a month ago.

I have not tried clicker training. Can anyone recommend a book?

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
She is probably hitting sexual maturity. Males tend to be more territorial than females from what I read. Is your girlfriend new? Sometimes it can be jealousy. My Hahn's is still young only 7 months and def a female so I don't know what will come for me when she gets older. If it just started with your baby then I would think it is being caused by a change to her routine or environment. Even something small may be major to her. Good luck.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Ok, I'll contribute because I have a Hahns.

1) bird clothes. I change my shirt before I let Hahnzel out in the morning or when I get home from work. It just has to be done.

2) nipping. Welcome to Hahns macaw ownership. Cage aggression is one reason. Knowing you are leaving is another. Trying to get them off your shoulder is another. Hahnzel loves being on me. If he won't get off, I take off my shirt, forcing him to higher ground or staying with my shirt. Once I get him off I praise him but put my hand up to block his attempts to get back on my shirt again. Beak grooming does help reduce blood letting when bites occur.

3) cage time. I put him in his cage but still sit close to his cage. That way he still has my company, but I get a break. Hahnzel eats better when I do this too. That way he doesn't have to choose between me or food and water.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Clicker Training is wonderful!!! Please give it a try! When I was first new to birds, I was at the end of my rope, afraid that I would never have a good relationship with my bird. Positive reinforcement & clicker training changed that immediately, and immeasurably!!
There are many videos you can watch on YouTube, and a lot of people here who would be happy to help you.
I personally have had great success with the teachings of the following;
Barbara Heidenrich.
The Parrot Wizard
BirdTricks.com
Just my experience. Please give it a try. It will open up new avenues of understanding between you & your bird. And remember, there are always people here who can help you :)

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Could someone explain or give me some links to read about clicker training? I may be taking in an orange wing amazon who is almost five and has had a rough start and God knows I am very new to parrot rescue, but want to help this bird if I can. Thanks. e.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I just said......
Barbara Heidenrich
Parrot Wizard
Birdtricks.com
They are all good sources.

danilo

Nov 18, 2013
Macao
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
i think it is not a big issue. But the issue is you must have eyes on her when she is out of the cage, and make sure that she is away from anything that she may get hurt. If you don't want her to get out of the cage, you just leave her alone in the room, i think she will stop squawking when she realize that is useless. You must make her obey the rules, and don't let her to control you.

OP
H

hahnyboy

Dec 15, 2013
new orleans
Parrots
Mia - Hahn Macaw
I'm in such a small space (450 sq ft) and its impossible to ignore Mia when she squawks. I'll go mad before she quits squawking. When I get a bigger space and she has her own room it will be possible to ignore her squawking and she will learn that squawking doesn't get attention.
I ordered clickers and a book which should arrive any day now and I'll make a separate thread to go over that as I'm sure I will need guidance.

Thanks all for the input.
IMAG0276.jpg

Any Mia says thanks too!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
AWWWW she is so cute!!!!
Has she always been a squawker? How long have you had her?

Most Reactions