Hahns Macaw Baby biting fits in evening

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Hi Everyone - My 3 month old Hahns baby gets rowdy in the evening.
He is wonderful and sweet most of the time. I really need to know what to do when he gets in his biting fits, which is usually in the evenings. I don't want to put him in his cage, so he associates it with bad behavior.

Not sure why it's only in the evening. Is this normal? Does anyone else deal with the same thing or is it only my new baby.

Thanks!

Teddy Vedder's Dad - Tom

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Can you share a typical daily routine... what happens in the evening? Is it specific to sun down / time or something that happens? How many hours of sleep is he getting each night? And does he have his own room where its quiet and dark so he truly is getting a solid 10-12 hours minimum of sleep? If he's not getting enough sleep you might be seeing a grumpy kid in the evening.

But, sharing a routine of what happens throughout the day and if you can really sit and think of what the point is of when the bad behaviors start?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
What jenphilly said! Plus...

Just my thoughts (based on limited experience, but with a bird many think similar to a mini-macaw)...

Gee, this was sooo long ago, but, when the Rickeybird was young, he often got cranky, sleepy, grumpy at night, and (I finally decided) just was ready for bed. Like a little kid. I've always kept him on a natural light schedule (up at dawn, down at dusk) which I feel is helpful in managing hormones and general health, if you can manage it.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I would agree, he sounds like a sleepy fussy baby. EarlyBird gets crabby at 7:30 almost on the dot. Way before dark here. I try to get her to bed by 7:15. Sometimes she likes to go earlier, but she starts poking with the tip of her beak and pacing and chirping, thats when I know it's time.

CherylCali

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
Also- she wakes up at 7:00 a.m. she just has herself a 12 hour sleep schedule, dark or not.

CherylCali

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Plum has in the past gotten a little over stimulated, always in the evenings perhaps after a mad few minutes and the risk of a bite was increased.

If your bird is having playtime which can get them 'pumped' you stand more chance of a bite. If this is the case learn techniques that work with your bird to calm down. With Plum it was for me to lay on my tummy on the floor, head on my arms and he would squeeze in for a cuddle. Job done, risk of bites gone!

OP
TeddyVedder

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
He usually gets around 10 hours of sleep. It could very well be that he gets grumpy. Yes, it's always around 7-730pm when the baby gets grumpy. He does not have his own sleep room. His cage is in the living room and usually goes to sleep with the natural light schedule. My wife and I are always in the living room til around 10pm. He is involved in our nightly activities, so I believe we keep him up.

Should we get a cage cover for him?

OP
TeddyVedder

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Plum has in the past gotten a little over stimulated, always in the evenings perhaps after a mad few minutes and the risk of a bite was increased.

If your bird is having playtime which can get them 'pumped' you stand more chance of a bite. If this is the case learn techniques that work with your bird to calm down. With Plum it was for me to lay on my tummy on the floor, head on my arms and he would squeeze in for a cuddle. Job done, risk of bites gone!

Oh yes. Teddy would sleep on my tummy all day if he could and he calms down almost immediately. I do let it happen all the time but dad needs to do things at night and doesn't always veg out on the couch right away LOL

OP
TeddyVedder

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Also, just to add. He is obsessed with me and always needs to be by me even when he's with my wife. He was a birthday gift for my wife but clearly loves his daddy more ��

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Also, just to add. He is obsessed with me and always needs to be by me even when he's with my wife. He was a birthday gift for my wife but clearly loves his daddy more ��

Ahhhh...I feel for Mrs Teddy Vedder :eek: I hope She gets into his good graces.
Amy and BB are in my living room. Amy's house is in the corner,and if I watch tv when it is dark out..the lights are off in the living room. She has been with me 27 years and she sleeps well even with the tv.
BB, however,isn't that sound of a sleeper,and as soon as I hear him stir,off goes the boob tube and the room is totally dark.

Smokey,the TAG, KNEW what time it was,,and she would tell me so "good night...good night" at 9pm,EVERY NIGHT always within 5 minutes of 9pm..no matter what season it was,and she'd go into her house,by herself,and CLOSE her front door. And if I dragged my feet in covering her house,she would even get louder and more persistent.. GOOD NIGHT!! GOOD NIGHT!! until I got the message.

Try covering your babies house..it may work.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts