Hahn's Macaw experiences

Nessa

Jul 20, 2016
Ireland
Parrots
None, at the moment, but in the past we had a peach faced lovebird called Baby, and we currently have 4 chickens
After a couple of years with no parrots, we're currently doing research and are hoping to take in a parrot at some stage in the next year. We're looking at a lot of different species, and are trying to find out as much as we can. I don't have a lot of experience with big parrots, although I have babysat an African grey a few times. Before this we had a lovebird.

I've always had a soft spot for macaws after meeting a really friendly scarlet while on holidays a few years ago, but I find the size a bit intimidating. I'm wondering if something like a Hahn's macaw would be a better choice? I would love to hear the pros and cons from others who have experience with these birds.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
IMO Hahn's are beautiful birds. I've usually seen babies at the store, but the other day I saw an adult in full color, and he was as gorgeous as any macaw. I've read that in general they can be a species more prone to plucking. Good luck on your decision!

Most Reactions