Hahns or noble macaw vs blue crown conure?

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Hello I was wondering the differences between these species. Which is (generally speaking) more cuddly, playful, affectionate? Noise level moodiness messy?? Thanks! Gimme all the good bad and the horrifying! Hold nothing back:) I had a sunny and I loved him to death he was affectionate and playful but he did have his little fits now and then but I didn't mind them all part of parrot life:) I'm looking for similar but nothing that looks similar to a sun/:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I used to want a blue crown badly, as my favorite color is blue! Instead, I ended up with red heads! :D LOL (not by choice, not at first!)

If I were to choose now between those species, I'd probably go with a Noble as I've heard such great things about them!!!! And the blue crown would be close in second!

Sorry though, no personally experience with any of them.

OP
DannyA93

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Interesting. I was leaning toward the hahns for the macaw behavior traits lol I just love em but I love conures too! Does anyone have experience with these species?? Anyone at all??

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Honestly macaws and conures have very similar behavior traits.

Mini macs have a touch more attitude, I think. A tad nippier. Most mini-macs have to be socialized around children, or they bite them. (But that's more a training issue than a trait.)

I've played with all 3.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the BCC.

But if it were me, I would really end up with a Greenwing... :D

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I've never owned either but the shelter I volunteer at has both. The blue crowns were super annoying to me. Their scream is ten times more shrill and annoying then the suns....at least to me! I played with the one and while he was a little nippy at first he was fine once he realized I wasn't going to do anything and let me rub his head. If they weren't so annoyingly shrill I would have considered one.

The Noble was very quiet and shy. Took to my stepfather right away and sat quietly on his shoulder for a couple hours.

Overall the Noble seemed to have a better disposition but remember all three are shelter babies and you just never know individual stories completely! I think the one blue crown was just desperate and so was annoyingly loud but the shrill of it was just ungodly. He was a little more quiet when out so he might have been cage bound...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've never owned either but the shelter I volunteer at has both. The blue crowns were super annoying to me. Their scream is ten times more shrill and annoying then the suns....at least to me! I played with the one and while he was a little nippy at first he was fine once he realized I wasn't going to do anything and let me rub his head. If they weren't so annoyingly shrill I would have considered one.

The Noble was very quiet and shy. Took to my stepfather right away and sat quietly on his shoulder for a couple hours.

Overall the Noble seemed to have a better disposition but remember all three are shelter babies and you just never know individual stories completely! I think the one blue crown was just desperate and so was annoyingly loud but the shrill of it was just ungodly. He was a little more quiet when out so he might have been cage bound...

Conures can be attention screamers, and line of sight screamers.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Finding a noble could be a challenge, something to consider.

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference, if any between noble macaw behaviors and Hahn's macaw behaviors. Really, it's kinda same difference to me...

OP
DannyA93

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Yes I wouldn't mind a hahns instead of noble but just wanted to include both since they're pretty similar. I have no children running around and I don't plan too haha neither do any of my friends so that's not a problem.
Greenwings are my dream bird!! I'll get one eventually but as of right now I don't have the room for a big bird lol

Screams don't bother me at all so the shrill sound isn't a problem either, the only screams I CANNOT stand are cockatoo screams. I will never ever ever get a cockatoo lol so I'm basically looking for a best friend! I'm a touchy person so the one that doesn't mind scratches often will be nice or common kisses (:) my sunny absolutely loved the attention and I loved giving it so maybe the less independent species??

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You might want to watch videos of both species.

I know of one noble that learned to say "Pick 'em up!" when she wanted to step up! It is the most adorable thing ever!

Noble's aren't as common as hahns are, but from what I've heard of them, plus their larger size, I prefer the slightly larger noble over the hahns. Everyone that owns nobles always talk to endearingly about them! (but there are a lot of cute hahnsie videos, too!)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Screams don't bother me at all so the shrill sound isn't a problem either, the only screams I CANNOT stand are cockatoo screams.

It is so weird what we all can and cannot stand! The cockatoo screams don't bother me even the moluccans and umbrellas... basically they are just loud and thats not really a problem for me:D So far I have found blue crowned conure screams unbearably shrill, ekkie alarm screams headache inducing, and a slender billed conure scream annoying. Oh and budgie chatter drives me up a wall in two seconds flat:rolleyes:

I agree with Monica look at some videos of the two! I do like the Noble though from my experiences:)

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
It is so weird what we all can and cannot stand! The cockatoo screams don't bother me even the moluccans and umbrellas... basically they are just loud and thats not really a problem for me:D So far I have found blue crowned conure screams unbearably shrill, ekkie alarm screams headache inducing, and a slender billed conure scream annoying. Oh and budgie chatter drives me up a wall in two seconds flat:rolleyes:

So funny, I'll admit to BOTH of those things, "budgie chatter" drives me NUTS

And conure screams, like an AIR-RAID Siren LOL :D

Joe

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I have a hahns macaw. I do not find his noise annoying. The only conure experience I have is with green cheek conures (but they are known as the quieter conure). I would search youtube videos to get a idea of how these birds sound. A conure may not be able to be as loud as a large macaw or too but they have this very shrill sound. A determined green cheek conure can put effort in being as loud as possible (and like other conures have a shrill call). Captain Jack can squawk but he usually makes weird low sounding noises and grumbles (and even say words like "come here" in a cartoonish sounding voice). From my experience so far conures and hahns macaws have about the same characteristics. They love to lay on their back and love soft gentle petting on the head(bear in mind this is experience with birds that are tame).

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The Noble is a less common subspecies of the Hahn's. They're both adorable. I think the faces of those species are some of the cutest. Noble is said to be bigger, and has a larger light colored upper mandible instead of dark like the Hahn's (which gives a different and adorable look). I'm not a macaw or conure person, but I've read several times that the BCC are quieter both in volume and how frequently they call compared to a Sun, but as Victoria said above, it's not always the case. I've also read many times what a great pet Blue Crowns make. I honestly think all 3 are very attractive birds.

I hear you about the Cockatoo sound. Some Toos have a different noise, but the majority of white Toos have that loud raspy, gravelly scream that is like nails on a chalkboard to me. My neighbor has a Goffins that can make paint peel from the walls lol.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Just stopped by to lurk and check up when I found this thread.

I had a Noble macaw for almost 18 years. My particular Noble macaw Mihijo came from a local breeder whom had a lot of experience with breeding parrots. I remember visiting the breeder and they took me to their bedroom where the pair of nobles were set up. Never in my over 20 years experience with parrots have any breeding pair interacted with me much less stepped up onto my hand. Here I was, a stranger in their territory and they didn't try to bite or attack me.

I was very impressed with what I had experienced so I immediately told them "I want one of their babies."

In April of 1995 I brought home Mihijo at 2 and half months of age. My Noble macaw was the most mellow parrot I ever had. He was not quick to loose his temper, socialized with anyone including children, (with guidance from me) was very even tempered and was very intelligent. Mihijo learned tricks so quickly he had quite the resume for his portfolio.

I have always considered Mihjo a "one in a million" kind of parrot because I knew he was a very special. Not once in all the years I have lived with this parrot has he ever bit or nipped me. Who else can say that?

Fast forward to spring of 2013 after Mihijo passed in October 2012. I took Mihijo's death very hard. That following spring another noble macaw was found in a rescue 6 and half hour drive away.

Julio had a past in which he was abused. I also was able to confirm though behavior that someone had back handed him. He came with his baggage but I also saw a lot of the normal Noble macaw behavior in him. Noble macaw's have this very unique song that they sing when vocalizing. Mihijo's was a two note where Julio's was only a one note but with the same pitch, volume and frequency. I remember finding a youtube video of a female noble "Lucy" that sung the same way Mihijo did. I use to watch that video a lot. Noble macaw's screams are nothing like a conure. They can vocalize loudly but it has never bothered my hearing and/or has anyone complied about the screams. Mihijo did learn to speak quite well but my Eclectus Joaquin and RFM Valentino had/have a way larger vocabulary.

I have experience with Hahn's macaws and knew people who were really into their Hahn's. This one couple's Hahn's was a very well behaved parrot but I noticed with this Hahn's and every other Hahn's I experienced is they are more high strung than Noble macaws and tend to be a bit nippy when displeased or when they really want something/someone. This couple loved and cared for their Hahn's as much as I loved and cared for my Noble. There are differences between the two in behavior.

I understand not all Noble macaws are going to be like my Mihijo. However though experiencing living with a rescue Noble with a abusive past I did see a lot of similar behaviors and I can tell you this....if you can find a Noble macaw baby available I highly advise getting that baby. They are not common anymore and are very difficult to find a breeder that raises them. Apparently Noble's don't breed well in captivity hence the rareness of finding a hand fed baby and I am sure by now most breeders that had Noble macaw probably gave up on breeding them due to a business decision.

For me at this time I don't think I would ever have another Noble macaw. That is how much Mihijo had meant to me. He truly was a one in a million parrot and no other parrot will ever be able to fill that empty part in my heart.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
The Hahns would probably win. The Blue Crown has a size advantage but the big bird mentality of the Hahns would help him win the battle.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
See I had three conures, and fostered many others, so that is just background noise to me...

Too screaming to me is the worst.

ALTHOUGH, and it didn't happen very often but when it did OH MY GOD! My friend who used to breed Hy-Hys, had 8 breeding pair. Every so often, one of them would start, and they would ALL go off, and try to see who was the loudest. DEAR GOD PLEASE MAKE THAT STOP!!!

Although the Eckie alarm kinda sounds like someone setting off an air horn, doesn't it?! It was annoying, but at the same time it was also kinda funny.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Y
Greenwings are my dream bird!! I'll get one eventually but as of right now I don't have the room for a big bird lol

(:) my sunny absolutely loved the attention and I loved giving it so maybe the less independent species??

My greenwing is probably my most bonded bird at the moment. And she's goofy, and personable. Very much the mush mac...

Actually, all three of these guys are pair bond birds, so, their natural behaviors are pretty similar in terms of attention and bonding issues.

Most Reactions

Latest posts