Hair clipping and chewing problem

pico

Feb 4, 2012
My black capped conure name Pico is such a sweetie. He is very well behaved except for one thing: my hair. He LOVES my hair. He has loved it since he was a baby. I have long, curly, blonde hair and he loves to cover himself in it and preen it, which is fine. The last few months, however, I have noticed that he chews on a single strand until it'll break off and then he keeps breaking it into smaller and smaller pieces. He usually only does it to a strand or two, but he just covered the front of my shirt with it. He'd been sitting on my chest (I'm leaning back in a chair) and had been quiet and cuddly so I wasn't paying much attention to what he was doing. Apparently the whole entire time he had been cutting my hair. My shirt looked like I had just gotten a trim. I've got enough hair that it does not show I'm missing any, but I'm afraid he might get worse and cut off a whole chunk or something.

It doesn't help to put my hair up either. He'll climb up onto my head and try to pull my hair out of the ponytail or actually chew through the band.

How could I get him to stop? Most of his other bad habits he grew out of so I haven't had to really discipline or train him much before.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Get him off your shoulders when he does it. Or place toys on your shoulders for him to chew. But I've watched my conure did that before, she wouldn't leave hair alone, no matter what you do. We just had to keep her off the shoulders when she does it and tell her no. They find it fascinating!!!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My conure loves to do my hair as well. But, she hasn't actually been chewing through it and breaking it off. She wants to make every hair stand straight out like a dandelion gone to seed. I always figured if she was a person she would be a cosmetologist. Pete likes to preen my hair as well, and he can and does sometimes pull it out, so I don't let him do it much.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I know that feeling! Alex is half the reason I cut my hair short! He loves to play with the ends of it.

Most Reactions