Jenday and a day sleeper???

cswppl

Feb 4, 2012
I recently put down a deposit on a baby Jenday - my first parrot. I am very excited about it but i have seen some disturbing posts. My husband works graveyard and sleeps days. Am i making a mistake with my choice of a Jenday? All opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Well conures are definetely not silent birds but if you are giving your bird attention it should be ok. They mainly call in the morning and evening it's not all day 24/7 unless bored or stressed.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I live alone with my animals, and I work shift work.. When I do night shift, I have Max out for approx 2 hours before going to bed at 9.30am... I don't hear him, while I sleep for 6 hours...

It might be different, if I had a partner, not working, and the birds might be calling to him...

So, if you're working days and your partner nights, and you can put your Jenday into a room, as far away from your partners bedroom as possible (my loungeroom - where the birds are during the day - is at the opposite end to my bedroom), and have some white noise on (mine is my aircon), your partner should sleep like a baby...

It is also my theory, that caged birds don't make a lot of noise, when their owners are not around...

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I did a night work stint for a month or so as a favour to a friend. My jenday's cage is in my bedroom. Never made a peep while I was sleeping, in fact he would doze in his cage! But soon as I got up out of bed, oh boy, the NOISE. :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm thinking if he doesn't see your husband, he will be pretty quiet and play with his toys, and probably nap some as well. Now if he sees the mail person or something he might scream out a warning call, but otherwise I bet he's pretty quiet during the day.

OP
C

cswppl

Feb 4, 2012
Thank you everyone for the advice. I was starting to worry a bit about it. I want my husband to love my baby as much as I'm sure I will. I have an empty bedroom at the other end of the house where we can move her during the day. I will keep the blinds down so that she cannot see people outside.

She will be alone for about 6-7 hours during the day. From your comments, it sounds like it is a very workable situation. I am a very relieved new conure mom.

Should I leave a television or radio on in the room with her?

Thanks again.:rainbow1:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Birds like noise, so TV o radio would be a good idea.

Puck isn't a conure, but he is very quiet while I sleep. He usually sleeps in the same room with me.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
A TV or radio is a popular thing for a conure. But, it might start singing along with songs. Mine does. Even if it's classical music with no words she chirps along with it. Also be careful what they are watching on TV. I didn't have satellite when I got Rowdy. So during the afternoon she was watching daytime soaps. She started saying some interesting new cuss words that I knew I hadn't said. Finally I figured out where they came from.

Most Reactions

Latest posts