Hand-reared?

kealr

Apr 14, 2019
Lancashire
Parrots
Kakariki's
Hi folks, i was just wondering, we have purchased a IRN a few days ago, it was sold as 'hand-reared'. For the first 2 or 3 days so far, it seems scared of us, wont fly to us, wont jump up on our hand or finger, and seems to be scared as it jumps off its perch and flys around the cage clinging to the back of the cage sometimes. Is this common in a Hand-reared IRN as its not with the owner who bought it up hand-rearing it..? Is it just a case that we have to give it time to get used to us more.. at present it is about 14 weeks old.. and we though, being hand-reared it should be okay with humans..?...
Thanks In Advance..:greenyellow:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Unfortunately a lot more goes into creating a tame bird than simply feeding it by hand, and that is 10 times as true for IRNs. They take a LOT more work to produce as pets than say, conures.

Because it is so common for underhanded sellers to do this, and because IRNs are so unique, I’ve written an article on taming your IRN.

http://www.silversageaviaries.com/tamingyourringneck-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kealr

Apr 14, 2019
Lancashire
Parrots
Kakariki's
Thankyou SilverSage..
Input greatly appreciated.. we will have to give him time to adjust to his surrounding.

OP
K

kealr

Apr 14, 2019
Lancashire
Parrots
Kakariki's
Well, weve had Kiwi for nearly a week now, he's still nervous when we go close to the cage, hasnt stepped up once either. We are not very happy with the breeder who sold it to us as Hand-reared. After questioning wether it was hand-reared or just semi-dame, she went off on one.. explaining all her birds are hand-reared, she sussed us out months ago..??, calling us nosey, all the names under the sun which now makes me wonder maybe, is she thought that of us back then (god knows why), then this has been done to us deliberately.
We wont be using this breeder again... :-(

Most Reactions