Hannah’s Wild bird photos and chat thread!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I once rescued an emaciated SC2 from a dog. It was so hungry, it stood by my feet and gobbled up the bread I offered it. The poor thing had PBFD and its bill was so deformed it couldn't eat seeds like its mates. I *stupidly* took it to a vet, who promptly put it down despite my insistence that I would and could feed it round the clock if necessary in order to restore its health.

I was told that unless a person is a registered wildlife carer, protected species are euthanised rather than being released to a member of the public. This is *infuriating*, considering the current state of our wildlife! I think I read somewhere recently that the rule had been relaxed somewhat in the aftermath of the bushfires, so maybe there's hope?

Hannah, you might want to consider your options with this bird. If you can find a vet who'll treat him and release him to you, at least he'd have a life. Sending hugs and hopes you can have a happier outcome. XX

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
I once rescued an emaciated SC2 from a dog. It was so hungry, it stood by my feet and gobbled up the bread I offered it. The poor thing had PBFD and its bill was so deformed it couldn't eat seeds like its mates. I *stupidly* took it to a vet, who promptly put it down despite my insistence that I would and could feed it round the clock if necessary in order to restore its health.

I was told that unless a person is a registered wildlife carer, protected species are euthanised rather than being released to a member of the public. This is *infuriating*, considering the current state of our wildlife! I think I read somewhere recently that the rule had been relaxed somewhat in the aftermath of the bushfires, so maybe there's hope?

Hannah, you might want to consider your options with this bird. If you can find a vet who'll treat him and release him to you, at least he'd have a life. Sending hugs and hopes you can have a happier outcome. XX

Hi Bertrisher! Great to hear from you.
It is incredibly frustrating with the rules and regulations here in Aus especially when wildlife care is SO limited. It’s shocking, I’m actually really upset with how Austrian wildlife is being treated here.. but I won’t go into that now.
The cocky survived the night, and happily up on his feet this morning trying to escape out the cage. His wings are slightly more up than they were yesterday, hopefully a good sign. He’s very bright and alert.
I spoke to wildlife Vic this morning to ask them if taking him to the vet doesn’t mean an immediate death sentence. He told be the almost always X-Ray before PTS. Unfortunately as I have work I could only take him to the local vet clinic as soon as they opened. They don’t have an x-ray machine there and the vet isn’t in until this afternoon (small county town!). But she said the vet will ring me when he’s had a look. I insured that they let me know before they do anything drastic. And that I’m happy to take him to another vet tomorrow.
Fingers crossed he can be mended and eventually go back to the wild.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hannah, you are amazing! I hope the vet will reward your special interest and give this bird a fair evaluation. Broken wings can heal, and a single winged bird will do very well in captivity. Of course for release back to the wild, it'd have to be 100%. Hoping for the best outcome!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Hannah, you are amazing! I hope the vet will reward your special interest and give this bird a fair evaluation. Broken wings can heal, and a single winged bird will do very well in captivity. Of course for release back to the wild, it'd have to be 100%. Hoping for the best outcome!

Thanks Scott, I hope so too! I’m waiting eagerly waiting for them to phone me. It’s 1.30pm now, will wait until 3 and then phone them if I don’t hear anything.

I’m glad others agree that birds can live with a busted wing. But of course, for this guy I’m not sure how well he’d transition to being domesticated. He seems very wild. And it would be sad to see him in the aviary while all his friends are flying overhead.
But let’s not skip forward. See what the vet says first :)

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
If he just broke his wing, that usually can be fixed? It doesn't mean a automatic death sentence. He maybe able to fly again depending on how broken and where it broken. They will have to X-Ray him and likely set the bone in place to heal correctly. Plus they heal really fast, much faster then I would if I broke a bone. Baby my U2 broke a bone by her chest when she lifted a grate and landed somewhat on her. It took 3 to 4 weeks to heal completely and she was back to flying again a few months later as had to clip her to keep her from flying temporary and in a smaller cage. Good thing was bone was set in place already by the muscle holding it in place. I would just find a vet that willing to take the time and figure out a way.

Yes you can domesticated him worst case he can't fly again.

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Vet phoned me back. He had a feel and from what he could tell he didn’t SEEM to have a bad break, and no open wounds. He’s thinking maybe dislocated. But of course can’t say for sure without and x-ray.
So once I finished work I picked him up and raced him down to a proper vet in town. So I’ve left him there after filling out the wildlife form. I said for them to contact me when they’ve seen him. I haven’t heard back tonight, but it was an hour before closing so understandably their prob going to see to him tomorrow morning.
Will keep you all posted

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Feathers are crossed here in Michigan hoping for good news!!!
You're such a sweetheart!
It would seem that with the fires, there would be some changes to assure a return of the population, even if it is domesticated life style...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

A ray of hope, Hannah. Perhaps your urging will lead to a more merciful stance and eventual release of this hapless bird.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sweet Hannah..I believe you are destined to do extrodinary things in your life concerning wildlife. With all the things you have been through,with your Brummies and 'too's and little piggies these creatures seem to find you and know you have a loving heart and warm hands. Praying that your new cocky friend makes a full recovery and can become your new BFF :07:

Jim

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

They put him down. Without speaking to me first. I’m SO pissed off.

He had a fracture in the shoulder.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Count me as part of your list of pissed-off friends!!!
So, sad!

Yep me too, as long as I live I will NEVER understand the attitudes of some vets towards injured wildlife, and with a willing carer like you available who would have been only too happy to take him in. Infuriating!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I thought that's what they might do.

I was told the logic is that the animal would never have survived in the wild with its injury, so the vet is supposed to play God and do humanely what Nature would have done rather more - nastily.

What kills me is that the animal was *alive* and capable of living a reasonably happy life in captivity with the right person. There's an aviary full of unreleasable birds at our local RSPCA - they're overcrowded and receive no attention beyond feeding and watering. Why shouldn't a member of the public be allowed to adopt an injured bird like this and give it a happy life? Beats me!

Hannah, thank you *so* much for caring! I hope you gave the vet a flea in his ear. :(

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Count me as part of your list of pissed-off friends!!!

So, sad!

Yep me too, as long as I live I will NEVER understand the attitudes of some vets towards injured wildlife, and with a willing carer like you available who would have been only too happy to take him in. Infuriating!!

Oh me too. I’m so sorry. What a jackass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I'm so sorry, Hannah. I would hope vets and wildlife folks would be kinder than nature, especially when options to adopt exist. :mad:

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

I’m gutted. Last time I felt bad about not taking that cocky to the vet and he died. and this time I have taken a cocky to the vet and they’ve killed him. It seems I can’t do right.
I know it’s not my fault though. I’m just so saddened by the system, or lack of I should say.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I’m gutted. Last time I felt bad about not taking that cocky to the vet and he died. and this time I have taken a cocky to the vet and they’ve killed him. It seems I can’t do right.
I know it’s not my fault though. I’m just so saddened by the system, or lack of I should say.

Have you just found you calling? It only takes one to start a campaign against existing legislation. (Think of Greta) Since Australia has so recently lost so much wildlife perhaps this is the moment and you could be a wildlife conservationist.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Have you just found you calling? It only takes one to start a campaign against existing legislation. (Think of Greta) Since Australia has so recently lost so much wildlife perhaps this is the moment and you could be a wildlife conservationist.

My blood had been boiling all day, and I’ve been wondering how I can help the dire situation out here. If I had the money I’d open a wildlife care and conservation centre.
Too much death and destruction in Australia. It constantly stabs me in the heart and brings me down.
For example yesterday.. while driving this bird to the vet I had to drag a dead mother wallaby off the road with her dead joey in her pouch with his little Broken legs hanging out the pouch.
I know car accidents happen..I’ve been there myself :( But it’s mostly due to inconsideration, speeding, careless and uncaring people.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

If you have the time and inclination, this is a wonderful idea. Social media is powerful, and I cannot conjure a more passionate and compelling person than you. At the very least it would be an outlet for your sad experiences. The flipside is it might expose you to a minority of nasty trolls.

You might attract sincere folks interested in financing that dream of a wildlife rehab/conservation centre.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

I was in a pet shop today and there was a budgie in a cage on its own from the others. It had something wrong with its beak, it was massively overgrown and had an odd texture to it. Obviously needs veterinary attention. Asked the shop keeper about it but they didn’t really know what the problem was, their just hoping it will break off :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any experience on this sort of thing? Any info would be great. I briefly looked online. Could possibly need just one trim and it will frown back correct or it could need regular ongoing trims. What causes this sort of thing? Bad breeding? Deformities? Bad diet?

I of course felt very sorry for the little guy. He was in a tiny cage OBSESSING over his mirror.

Don’t worry I haven’t got him...yet:eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts