Happy birdie rehome surprise!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
A while back I rescued two green cheeked conures from a rather unsavory woman who had literally purchased them from their previous owners (who got them from the pet store who got them from a local breeder) for the specific purpose of taking them as show and tell items to her kindergarten class ONCE. I am not even kidding. She is a self-proclaimed parrot expert and illegally runs a parrot club which is militant and ignorant in style. She said she couldn't handle all the noise these two birds made (Remember the part where they are GCCs??) and needed them gone.

Well, one fit into my flock quite well while the other has struggled to do so. He is a very sweet bird, but not great with other birds, and ultimately I decided he would be happier in a home with fewer birds and more one on one attention. I was hesitant to do so, but felt it was right.

He ended up going to live with a good friend of mine who goes by amjokai on this forum, and her husband (not the bird brain of the family) fell in love.

My friend and I spent today shopping and such, and when I dropped her off I went over and took him out of his cage. He IMMEDIATELY began to chatter and said at least three things, which I believe were "Squeaker," "Thank you" and "Good boy," but it was hard to be sure. He ran through these words for almost a full minute while I scritched him. He was with me for MONTHS and NEVER spoke, and three days in this family and he is talking up a storm! I have birds that talk, but this was just a river of excited chatter like none of mine had ever done.

I was sad to see him go and wrestled with the choice for a long time, but in the end seeing him instantly fluff for scritches, roll his head and close his eyes and just jabber instead of seem in a constant state of worry as he did with me was a very rewarding confirmation that he was meant for a different home than mine. He still has plenty of other pets and people around to keep him company, but for some reason this home provides him with something mine didn't.

I just wanted to share my happy story with you folks :) sending a bird to live with someone else is usually a gut wrenching process, and while this one started out hard, I will sleep well tonight knowing he is in the place he is supposed to be :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's a great story Dani! Though it's never in our plans to rehome a bird, sometimes it's absolutely for the best. I had a similar thing happen with a Cuban Amazon I had. Every now and then, a bird just hates it's environment no matter what for some reason, even if we're good bird owners with other happy birds. It sounds like it worked out great! Even better you can still see the bird regularly with your friend! :)

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes I will be able to see him multiple times a week for the next couple of years until the Army splits us up :) And yes, after hearing how many homes he had already been in in his short life, I wanted to keep him forever but he was constantly on edge. His new home has multiple birds, bunnies, a dog, and plenty of people, so I know he won't be lonely, either. Plus, I am in her house all the time, I KNOW how she cares for her birds :)

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
We've been trying to find a bird that my husband clicks with. This is the one. Instantly when he saw him they fell in love! I think it's a good fit.

Now to add another bird to my parrot list here! Haha.

The house has gone to the birds ;)

SkitzChik

Dec 15, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiel
I wonder how that woman would handle any other type of conure [emoji14]
But this is such a lovely story! I'm so glad the little guy has finally found a home that makes him happy!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
We've been trying to find a bird that my husband clicks with. This is the one. Instantly when he saw him they fell in love! I think it's a good fit.

Yay! I love happy endings! :) Glad it worked out for you guys!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Rescued Amazon today- The story will tear your heart out

Hi Everyone,

This rescue and story will tear your heart out.

The other day, (FRIDAY) a friend of mine that dose furnace repair called me up and said. Hawk, you have to rescue this amazon, that these people have. It's in bad shape.

I thought, well I really wasn't planning on another bird. What's the problem I asked. He said, " If you don't get this parrot it will not last much longer. Here's the number, they will probably take a few hundred for it, bet you can get it for 200 hundred, cage included, but trust ne, you don't want the cage, you'll see."

So I made arrangement to have a look sunday morning. When I got there my first reaction was " holy sh^^ !!!" they had 5 people in the house chain smokers with literally tobacco tar oozing off the walls. Ash trays over flowing onto the floor. A complete pig pen if you ask me. In the corner of house, cut off from heat, ( must have been 55 degrees in there) was a cage so filthy and poop build up so emense that the poop had poop growing from it, mold, water dish was a thick poop goo, food was so poop covered, and there basically was not one inch of space inside that cage that was not caked with at least an inch or 2 of poop, toys were virtually poop covered. There sat the sadest face of an amazon you ever saw. I was boiling over mad by now, but kept my cool.

I offered to take the bird, but not the cage as I have an extra one. My Parrots have 2 cages each. One in the all season sun room. This lady asked $1200 I said no, sorry. But knew I had to get that parrot so I stepped up my approach and said " this parrots conditions are classified as animal abuse" About that time this lady and a couple of their family members became very agitated and ask me to leave. I said not without the parrot. They told me to go to hell and get off their property. I said I'll call the cops and animal protective services and you will be arrested and won't get a dime for the bird. She took the $300 I offered and I left it at that.
It's been 36 hours now and the Amazon seems a bit more lively in a clean cage with fresh water and good fresh food. Poor thing ate like there was no tomorrow.

It needs a bath badly, as it smells real bad of cigarettes. I will have it checked out at the vet, and assess it before rehoming it.

Poor thing, it's not a bad bird at all, a bit cranky, but what do you expect in conditions it was in. My other amazon keeps saying Hi, to it and singing to it. I'll keep you all posted.
As for the people whom own this bird and treated it like this....May the gates of hell open up and slap you silly with it's fury!!!!:green:

SkitzChik

Dec 15, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiel
Bless you hawk! What horrible people to put the poor thing through that abuse!! As long as its in a loving home with friend! It will probably go into shock to see what a clean cage looks like haha!
Fingers crossed the little guy comes along fit and healthy! No animal deserves that!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
@ Hawk
We rescued a b&g this summer from similar conditions, thanks for getting him out of there! How can people treat any animal like that?:mad:

Last edited:

Most Reactions