Happy- Update

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
Well the RLA rescue, Happy, has been here for 2 days now. She'll be seeing the vet here soon and so far she's been a pleasure to have. I have discovered though she DETESTS dogs. My Corgi and Husky are unimpressed ha-ha.

The slow switching off her food is not going well however. She was on absolute junk before and seems to not know what to do with anything other than in shell peanuts and sunflower seeds. I've tried fruits and she wants nothing to do with them or any veg I've tried. But she'll go bat crazy for a baked french fry. I tried a small piece of the unsalted, baked, snack because she was INTENTLY eyeing my plate.

She has though, much to my excitement, been leaning her head against the bars when I'm close for a quick head 'scritch'. I know you're supposed to leave then for a week to settle but she kept doing it and I figured id give it a try. She closes her eyes and grinds her beak a bit after. She' loves it for a few moments then backs off. But she isn't too happy when she isn't the main attention, she'll yell a bit.

She's loving her toys and is getting used to having a different set up. More perches and ropes and it's easier to navigate all over without climbing the bars.

A friend who is a Conure breeder recommend AviCalm and Prime supplement for her until the vet sees her. I'm also looking into maybe getting Sunshine Factor or Avi Booster to help her tattered look and help her eyes and hopefully get some weight on her :)

THANK YOU EVERYONE that gave me advice. We so appreciate it <3

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
You are the bestest parront going,for not giving up on Happy!

Keep the updates coming..and maybe a new picture of Happy?? lol :54: :p

Jim

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Awesome! Remember, don't react to the yelling for attention too much, or you will be reinforcing a habit that you won't want! And , Bull, on leaving her alone for a week! Let her lead you!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've never bought into the don't handle them/let them settle in theory... that's only if they're stressed. If they're not stressed then I want to handle them immediately and start the training and bonding process off ASAP on the right foot...

Just my own personal opinion.

Has this bird had a bath or a misting yet?!

Have you tried sweet potato?

warm oatmeal?

Pasta, mix the veggies chopped in fine in the pasta, that's how I tricked Kiwi into eating her veggies... then, once she decided she liked it, it was no longer a problem. Throw it in her treat cup, come home from work and it's empty.

Last edited:
OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
@AmyMyBlueFront
I can most certainly get some new pictures of her!! :)

@Birdman666
On the way home from picking her up I stopped at the groomers and had her nails trimmed (they were outrageous) and whole we had her out we gave her a good missing all over, then I gave her a misting this morning with my others. You can certainly tell she's not used to it :(

I'll definitely try the sweet Patato and pasta idea though :). With her diet being so horrible and high in nothing but peanut fats I am trying to stay away from anything fatty and heavy. My Conures LOVE a good slice of apple, pineapple, and clementine. Poor happy didn't even know what to do with it, but the Higgens Sunburst I have for my Conure had some dried fruit like papaya in it and she'll eat that. Go figure. I'm just afraid the dried fruit you can buy at a store will have added sugars.
I've tried banana too. She does like Cinnamon, she kept begging for a taste of my Cinnamon toast and savored it when I have her a small chunk. I tried being a smartas$ and put some on a piece of banana. Didn't work lol.

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
PS I don't not give her the Conure food! I just grabbed a few pieces of dried fruit :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts