Harlequin vs Catalina

nickis715

Dec 31, 2012
Media
New York
Parrots
*Feathered*
Khaleesi > Green wing macaw. Parrot >Jendai conure Squee> Scaly-breasted lorikeet

*Furry*
Nox > Cane Corso Blaze> chihuahua
Bryci, Lluth, Reyna, Muffy and Gus > Kitties

*RIP* Mal
Hi all! My boyfriend and I were thinking about adding a hybrid to our flock. We are trying to decide between a Harlequin and a Catalina macaw, because we love our GW. Someone had suggested a Harlequin due to the BG's temperament vs a Scarlet's temperament. Any opinions on this would be appreciated! We have a large feathered/furry family and would be getting a baby so that whoever comes in, grows up acclimated to everyone else :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have no personal experience with either hybrid, but if I were in the market, I'd take the Harlequin as one of the parents would be a GW, and I LOVE their temperament. :)

BirdBrains2233

Apr 16, 2013
Media
Upstate South Carolina
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Powder Blue Quaker and a Moluccan Too!
I personally have had much better experiences with the Harlequin. The times I have handled a Catalina I have noticed they seem much more aggressive, a bit stronger, and less hesitant to strike. Even though the birds I have worked with are rescues, the Harlequin's seemed to have a much better attitude toward being handled by me compared to the Catalina. Now, dont let my experience deter you from getting one if you choose. Im like all birds if you get one as a baby the experience would be much better. Let us know what ya decide.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
There are no guarantees of temperament in a hybrid of course. Our Catalina, Sunny was a rescue and we were her fourth home in her first two and a half years. She isn't cuddly but many birds aren't. That may or may not be her previous handling or her parents. Her mama was the scarlet. She is extremely intelligent and has a vocabulary of around two hundred words and phrases which she uses very appropriately. She is very engaged in what we are doing and wants to participate in everything. She loves to go with us travelling, and to flea markets, garage sales, and anywhere else she is allowed. We wouldn't trade her for anything.

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
I much prefer harlequins due to the absence of scarlet DNA. Scarlett's, as a rule are just mean little stinkers--- very temperamental, very moody--- I work with a Catalina 3x a week and on occasion a few others--- I have had bad experiences with every scarlet we've had in there lol!

Pluss I just think b&gs/greenwings/harlequins are prettier birds-- I don't much care for the scarlet's "blank face" that sometimes passes to offspring. Nor do I care for the poof at the top of their forehead near their beak either. Lol- but that's just all my personal opinion!

OP
nickis715

nickis715

Dec 31, 2012
Media
New York
Parrots
*Feathered*
Khaleesi > Green wing macaw. Parrot >Jendai conure Squee> Scaly-breasted lorikeet

*Furry*

*RIP* Mal
Thank you all for your input! I had thought that the harlequin would be the winner, when we ultimately decide on too add, or not too add I will post pictures :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
My Catalina is super sweet [Shes never hurt us] lays in are arms . I think she might take more of the temperment of a Blue and gold . Like Horsesculpter said you never know. She is one of the easiest out of all my birds. :)
pinkbirdy-albums-belly-picture7737-harlow-020.jpg

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Sweet Catalina-
pinkbirdy-albums-belly-picture7701-elise-sammy-016.jpg

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
I think it is the individual bird and how they are treated, more than the cross but our lives are so much richer with Sunny's soft little macaw kisses, wry comments and outrageous laughter at her own jokes. My many years of raising and training a variety of species of animals has shown me that they all are thinking feeling individuals and you will receive from them in direct proportion to what you put into them.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
My scarlet macaw is amazing in behavior. I think the scarlet macaw reputation is blown out of proportion! They're sensitive macaws but they're not more nippier, aggressive or naughty than other species.

I have met more angry aggressive greenwings than scarlets:)

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Hi nickis715, I sent you a pm about my Catalina boys' personality yesterday. I hope it got to you. I love my Catalinas, they are awesome macaws to be owned by.:D I have no experience with Harlequins, so I am biased toward the Catalina hybrid for that reason alone. I also have never owned a scarlet & I too have read many negative things about their personality.:(

My boys being half scarlet does not seem to have any effect to that nature, so it leaves me to believe the scarlet is not any more nippier or bad tempered than any other parrot species, unless it has been neglected, mistreated or taught to act in that manner.:rolleyes:

I almost got a female scarlet recently that was local to me, but I did not have the price they were asking at the time. I did help the owners find a good home for her through a group page I have on FB. And both the former owners & the new owners say this scarlet girl is the most loving macaw they have ever had. She also happened to have been purchased from the same breeder I got my Catalinas from. So apparently my breeder has very sweet tempered scarlets.:)

OP
nickis715

nickis715

Dec 31, 2012
Media
New York
Parrots
*Feathered*

*Furry*

*RIP* Mal
Sorry I haven't checked in a few days, but I LOVE the pictures being posted of these beauties!! The aviary that we got our GW from said that they would rec. the Harlequin but I agree with the notion of all birds have different personalities. My GW is 11 months and she is as feisty as they come!! Very mouthy too, where as her sister is not and has never been that way. I also own a cane corso (a dog know for aggression) and she is absolutely WONDERFUL with all 5 of my cats and my 3 birds. (Don't be alarmed, the birds and pup don't have actual contact, I'm a careful momma) I also bring her to work with me and has never shown anything other then exuberance at meeting new people. Socialization and patience is key with any species in my book. I'm in love with the Catalina's inquisitive looking nature and vibrancy :D

OP
nickis715

nickis715

Dec 31, 2012
Media
New York
Parrots
*Feathered*

*Furry*

*RIP* Mal
Sweet Catalina-
pinkbirdy-albums-belly-picture7701-elise-sammy-016.jpg

Beautiful!!!! My GW does this cuddle, but she loves to follow it up with a "love" pinch to show her appreciation, though I don't appreciate that very much lol :09:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Harlows a goofball!! The worst thing shes ever done ,is take the bamboo blinds down .I cant put anything on the windows shes next too. :)

Most Reactions