Harley is in LOVE with my bf

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
So Harley I think is settling in quite well. She is very attached to my boyfriend, James. I have been showing her I am not afraid, and have the bite marks to prove it lol. If he is holding her, Harley may let me preen/pet her.

Soon I will be following Birdman's advice and bring over a bunch of girlfriends and shower her with estrogen lol.

Here is a video of her with James. Can you feel the love?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVCbBhlML-I"]Harley Quinn and James - YouTube[/ame]

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
Lol too funny. Just keep bringing people over. BUT! Watch her body language. So many times we get bit because we arent watching body language, or moving to quickly for the bird. Try not to just put your hand out and expect her to step on it. Give her a REASON to want to step on it. Offer a treat...but to get the treat you gotta come to my hand..."become a treat dispeneser" for your birds. The mindstate is this "You can stay on your cage or in your perch, and I'll let you do that. But, I guarantee you...being with me is where all the goodies are at.'

Just my .02

OP
I

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Yes, that is how I have been working with my 'Zon, Davy. Harley will sometimes take a treat from me, but it is usually followed by dropping it and striking at me. This is only her 2nd day here, and I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. I do have a treat she likes that she only gets from me, and if she displays (raises her wings or strikes) she doesn't get the treat until she calms down.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please, PLEASE be careful (your BF especially!!!!). I just saw this clip, and I admit, my heart skipped a beat.

Remember that Harley is still fairly 'new' to you and your BF, and I would certainly not have my face this close to her while she is displaying like this. Her eyes are pinning, she is obviously excited. Wouldn't want to give her an opportunity to lash out and have a piece of flesh torn from my face, if you know what I mean.

By no means am I implying she WILL lash out and bite - but IMHO it's risky, especially since you still all have to get to know each other's body languages. :)

I get up close and personal with my big macs, I really do, BUT, I exercise caution when they're that close to my face, even though we've been around each other for a while.

OP
I

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Please, PLEASE be careful (your BF especially!!!!). I just saw this clip, and I admit, my heart skipped a beat.

Remember that Harley is still fairly 'new' to you and your BF, and I would certainly not have my face this close to her while she is displaying like this. Her eyes are pinning, she is obviously excited. Wouldn't want to give her an opportunity to lash out and have a piece of flesh torn from my face, if you know what I mean.

By no means am I implying she WILL lash out and bite - but IMHO it's risky, especially since you still all have to get to know each other's body languages. :)

I get up close and personal with my big macs, I really do, BUT, I exercise caution when they're that close to my face, even though we've been around each other for a while.

Yes, I have warned him a lot, and I do NOT get my face close to her, but she strikes out at me all the time. She treated the husband of the previous family the same way, and never bit him, but would go after the wife. The bf knows he is taking a risk, and she has nipped his fingers a few times, but hasn't broken his skin. I have been reminding him to keep his face outta reach, and for the most part he does, but she was snuggling up to his chest and pushing up, and even though she was excited, she was being sweet. My BFA got me on my lip when I was letting my guard down, so yeah :)

http://www.parrotforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What Wendy says is VERY important to remember!!!! I've had Willie the B&G for over 11 years now, when he turned 10 years old, everything changed. I used to be able to do anything with him and he's NEVER bit me. I was getting him out of his cage like I always do but without watching for his body language as I had my eyes on the tv while getting him out. He chomp down on me real good and blood started gushing out. During his hormone period he chose the dogs over me. He did not bite the dogs but kiss them instead. Me on the other hand he started to be real hateful towards. He was better after the hormone period was over but when the time is near, I'm real careful to watch his body language.

Most Reactions

Latest posts