Harrison's food

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
So, I've had my duskies on the Harrison's fine high potency food for over 6 months now. Is this something they can continue to eat indefinitely, or should I be switching them over to Harrison's maintenance pellets at some point in time?

I LOVE Harrison's! (my duskies do, too!)

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
If his still a baby that his still growing, or molting, then it would be better to keep him on the high potency for a bit longer. But you can now change to the life time formula if you wish :)

I also love Harrison's and so is Ozzie!! :D

BIRDLUV

Feb 23, 2013
Ive been wanting to try their pellets. I currently have my Halo on zupreem pellets and she loves.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You can change your duskies to lifetime. If you want you can also ask your vet if she/he thinks they should be on a little longer or not.

Ive been wanting to try their pellets. I currently have my Halo on zupreem pellets and she loves.
Which zupreem? The colorful pellets are not a good quality pellet. Zupreem natural on the other hand is a decent pellet when compared to most chain pet store foods. One of the major downfalls is that they add sugar to their pellets. It's also a human grade pellet, I strongly believe parrots should always receive human grade foods.

I love Harrison's. When I started giving Rosie Harrison's(fine size) she gained much needed weight and her feathers started looking better. Getting such nutritious pellets was just what she needed. If you have amazon prime you can get a good price with free shipping.

Last edited:
OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Thank you for your recommendations. Gizmo's coming up on her first birthday and Niko is 9 months old. So, at least for their first year, or beyond that age? Guess I don't know at what age that they're actually considered to be adults.

This pellet, along with all the fresh veggies, fruit, legumes, nuts, etc, really makes their feathers gorgeous! When the sun hits them, they look irridescent.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I would say check with your vet and go by the bloodwork results. I had Georgie on the maintenance formula with table food too and on one physical she was found to be slightly undernourished. (low blood protein, slightly anemic, slightly underweight). The vet switched her to the high potency formula, and allowed me to give her more calorie dense table foods than he would normally 'ok'. (He said some suns run lean like she did, so it wasn't terribly abnormal.) Anyhow, after being on high potency and more 'fattening' meals, she was fine after that!
I did let her fly in the house a bit, so maybe the added demands of flight as opposed to 'perch potato' contributed to greater nutritional demand??

Most Reactions