Harrisons Pellets! :D

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
So I recently bought some harrisons pellet from mysafebirdstore. It cost me a whopping $85 for 2.27kgs the 5lb bag(with shipping, exchange rates). But here It would cost me $100 with shipping(Only one place in NZ sells it) for the same thing. New Zealand has very little things when it comes to birds :( Anyways I gave my fids a little taste and they LOVE it.

It is a huge hit with Alex, he was even waving to me trying to get some for me. He only does that with what he thinks are treats. :D

It took 3 weeks to get here. I think i might buy more from her in the future :D
Though shipping + exchange rates don't help me in the wallet, although it is cheaper than buying from here. I loved the little extras I was given :D

I just thought I would share my excitement :p

DanaR

Feb 9, 2013
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Sun Conure (Tequi),
Quaker Parrot (Kiwi),
Cockatiel (Jax),
Cockatiel (Kylie)
I've heard good things about Harrison's but haven't tried them yet. I'm currently feeding Lafeber's pellets & Nutri-berries.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Same here, all ive heard about harrison's is just great things so I thought I would try it out. We can't even get Lafeber's or Nutri-berries here.

I was getting Vetafarm before (cost $25 for 1lb.) but they didn't like it that much so I thought I would try out harrison's. I think I will stick to harrisons :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I love Harrison's, Rosie's favorite is the fine size but the larger size is more slightly more nutritious. I'm glad your birds liked it :D

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Yay! The Harrison has finely arrived! :D

I'm so happy for you that Yuki and Alex likes them! Alexandrine are not very picky birds, so I thought they would eat them! Ozzie is on vetafarm paradise pellet right now, he likes it. I know Harrison's is a very good brand, I found them last time at a avian vet, it wasn't cheap though. And the vet was 80km away from me. :(

Let me know how they goes, I'm thinking about Harrisons now! :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yay! The Harrison has finely arrived! :D

I'm so happy for you that Yuki and Alex likes them! Alexandrine are not very picky birds, so I thought they would eat them! Ozzie is on vetafarm paradise pellet right now, he likes it. I know Harrison's is a very good brand, I found them last time at a avian vet, it wasn't cheap though. And the vet was 80km away from me. :(

Let me know how they goes, I'm thinking about Harrisons now! :D
I love Harrison's so much, here's the compared ingredients of vetafarm and harrison's :)

Harrison's lifetime course: *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Hull-less Barley, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, *Ground Rice, *Ground Alfalfa, *Psyllium, Calcium Carbonate, Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, *Sunflower Oil, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, * Algae Meal, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, *Vegetable Oil.
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

VETAFARM:
Australian whole grains: Corn, Wheat & Soybean, Oats, Fructose, vitamins, minerals, amino acids & vegetable oils[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].

[/FONT]

Last edited:
OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Harrison's seem much better! : D And yea it's not cheap : (
I have bought fine as I have conures who eat it as wells :D They also love it! I thought my alexandrines would eat it, haha they aren't picky eaters but I can tell they prefer the harrison's pellets :D
80k is a very long way D: And look at those ingredients :O

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Yay! I just found a closer bird vet in Burwood. It's 35.2km away from here, I know, it's only 5km different from the other one, but at lease it's closer. I'll give them a try next time when we run out of pellet. :)

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
I might be able to get a bag of Harrison's pellet tomorrow! :D Because I'm taking Ozzie to his avian vet to get his nail trimmed, and if I have time, I'll go to the other vet and get the pellet.

Wow, it cost a lot! $19 for 454 grams! The vetafarm pellet was $13 for 1kg! What a price different! :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I might be able to get a bag of Harrison's pellet tomorrow! :D Because I'm taking Ozzie to his avian vet to get his nail trimmed, and if I have time, I'll go to the other vet and get the pellet.

Wow, it cost a lot! $19 for 454 grams! The vetafarm pellet was $13 for 1kg! What a price different! :D
wow that's a huge price difference! It sucks there isn't a great pellet equaling Harrison's made a Australian. With soooo many pet parrots you'd think there would be, whoever decides to go for it will make a ton of money.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Yes Harrisons do cost a lot o:
There is only one place here in NZ you can get harrison's and I think it's $25 + for the 454grams pack :(

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots

wow that's a huge price difference! It sucks there isn't a great pellet equaling Harrison's made a Australian. With soooo many pet parrots you'd think there would be, whoever decides to go for it will make a ton of money.

I find that a lot of people feed their parrot seed instead of pellet :( Because every time I go to the pet shop, all of the seed are always almost sold out, while the pellets are most of the time untouched. :( People probably think that pellet cost way to much compares to seed, without knowing seed are unhealthy for parrots, and are a lot of waste.

There's also a brand call Dr Macs organic parrot pellet, it's made in Australia, and I believe it's cheaper than the Harrison, but I can't find their website, and don't know where to buy. I also can't find reviews on it. So I guess I'll just stick with the Harrison's. :)

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Good to see the comparison!
I might try some as well.
Monty has almost totally gone off his pellets, we just leave them in his cage to snack on, but everyday he gets mixed sprouted seeds, apple, grapes and fresh picked herbs or what ever green lettuce or cabbage we have at the time.

While we're on the subject of good products, I'd also like to say that "breeders choice seeds" on the gold coast are really good. Their sprouted and soaked seeds are great and when they have whole walnuts in stock, they're better quality than the supermarket nuts which are sold for humans rather than birds.

Maybe we could suggest to the site admin, a sticky at the top for peoples favourite products and companies for parrot/alexandrine supplies

Most Reactions