Has anyone dealt with this breeder

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
She sounds more like a broker. If she's bring in all those strange babies, why would she worry about people infecting her set up or upsetting breeders??

I saw her site and Facebook too. It seems to me that she is mostly worried about the safety of her home with the kids and all the birds. Lot of money in these birds. Also, if her husband works out of the home and she is home alone, she might not want people she doesn't know coming over. I can understand this being a breeder myself. She seems not to care about knowing her buyers if she won't communicate though. That is how I learn about my potential buyers and the more I know about them, the more I make sure it is safe for me to give them my home address. I have to say that even still, I usually ask them to come over when my husband is home.....

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hello, This is a very old post but I wish to add my opinion for any new readers. I would NEVER purchase or any animal if I could not inspect the keeping or breeding conditions. Even well maintained pet shops are not the best source. When we purchased our female Lilac Crown she had a throat infection ( Similar to our streph throat " that they were unaware of. D.D.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only thing I can think of is maybe it's a small closed aviary. Possibly running a business out of her house. Possibly concerned about security.

I don't know. It's certainly odd!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
-not allowing people into your house is not all that uncommon; one breede that I consider a mentor practices a completely closed aviary, and neither I nor anyone I know has seen his house but I have four birds from him, all have been in excellent health both in obvious ways and they have been disease tested and have come back clean. Also, since the breeder is a woman, let's take into account that in this day and age, novitiate strangers into your home is a recipe for disaster, and it is safer to meet in public. Also, there may have been a viral outbreak that causes the breeder to not risk other people coming into her aviary. T should have been discussed ahead of time, but by itself that is not a reason for alarm.

-no band is not ideal for some, but some breeders feel they are more risk than they are worth. Since the bird is already in the USA, it should not cause a problem. If needed, you can buy a rolled stainless steel open band and have it applied by a vet. Also, right now I am raising four cockatiels; three are banded, one is not. The non banded bird happened to hit her window for banding BEFORE her older sister and during a major crises at home. I missed it. It is a bit embarrassing for me, but in the long run not that big of a deal unless the new home wants to breed her with another bird from me down the line and needs to insure that the birds are not related (although to be honest by her mutation I couldn't possibly mess up remembering who she is related to in my small flock).

-bad people skills, we'll... Tacky, but not necessarily evil.

-unprofessional online presence is the same; annoying, but she may still do an amazing job with the birds, she just isn't great with the business side.

All that said, I wouldn't buy from a breeder I didn't already know unless I am allowed to see the conditions they were raised in and lay eyes on the parents (yeah, I'm that girl who doesn't think it is ok to have plucked breeders, feed all seed to breeders, keep them in tiny cages with no toys, etc, and I'm not paying you to do that). In addition, if you don't see thei parents, there is no guarantee the person actually bred the baby, and while I don't have a problem buying from a professional hand raiser if I choose that, I don't want to buy from a liar who SAYS they are a breeder if they are not.

Last edited:

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
I have purchased dogs before from reputable breeders, and we would meet in a parking lot at a truck stop.

So where the sale happens in my opinion does not mean anything whether or not she is a good breeder and knows what she is doing. Some people just don't want strangers coming to their home.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I want to clarify something since this old thread has been brought up again :).

It is absolutlely OKAY and standard practice for many breeders to run what they call a CLOSED AVIARY. This entails doing all that is possible to keep deadly disease out of the aviary and or breeder's home, including not permitting people to visit their property. More information on the Closed Aviary Concept can be found in the links below.

Avian viruses are no joke, and can decimate an entire breeder's collection incuding babies. Unfortunately, deadly contagious viral diseases with no vaccine and no cure are more common than many people think or want to believe.

Also, as was mentioned, not only for biosecurity reasons, but for personal and home security as well, these practices of no visitors is justified.

I've picked up two birds before in a public parking lot for this reason. These two breeders happen to be very well known in the US! :) I FIRST knew the reputation of these breeders though.

Model Aviculture Program, Inc.
Pigeon Health Care: Closed Aviary Concept

Most Reactions