Has anyone seen this before? WTF

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
Total wtf moment.
When I first got Button, my 1 year old pineapple GCC, I was reassured by the small time petshop that she had just been clipped.
Today I clipped all three conures and had a totally weird wtf moment when I opened Buttons wings.
This was done to both of her wings and tomorrow I am contacting the business owner about it.
Has anyone ever seen something like this before??? I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
eqmg7.jpg

rBhKZ.jpg

u3Svd.jpg

only one side was cut extremely short all the way into the major coverts. one side has one primary flight feather while the other one has neither of the two that I wanted to keep.. and they dont even have the same feathers cut. they kinda left random ones here and there. all of her minor coverts look so damaged.

Needless to say we trimmed her correctly, but of course the damage will take a while to repair.

I feel like they BUTCHERED this bird.

I had previously asked everyone here whether or not I should go to the vet or petshop.
I now trust NO ONE doing my birds clippings. I will be doing all of my birds with the help of someone holding them.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
I've never seen a clip like that. Could it be that the wings were clipped all the way across and those 'unclipped' feathers are just new ones which have grown in the last few months??

OP
B

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
I've never seen a clip like that. Could it be that the wings were clipped all the way across and those 'unclipped' feathers are just new ones which have grown in the last few months??

I wish that was the case. :(

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Gosh they did a terrible job :(

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
This wouldn't happen unless the feathers were pulled out... birds molt their primaries in order, not randomly.

I've definitely never seen a clip like that. A couple months ago I googled tips for clipping budgies and even in the "bad clips" section they didn't have this.

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
This wouldn't happen unless the feathers were pulled out... birds molt their primaries in order, not randomly.

I've definitely never seen a clip like that. A couple months ago I googled tips for clipping budgies and even in the "bad clips" section they didn't have this.

Mine don't molt them in order. :confused: Not as evenly spaced out as that GCC though, that's so sad!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey

Mine don't molt them in order. :confused: Not as evenly spaced out as that GCC though, that's so sad!

Mine are not molted in order either. Although, they do molt the same feather on the opposite wing at the same general time.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I was about to say, that neither of mine molt in order, but there's no way that those evenly spaced out feathers grew out like that. That is a horrible clipping!! Poor birdy :(

Honestly, I don't think the company is going to give a rats behind, sadly. You're better off letting them grow out, and then once they're ready again, clip them properly yourself.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Looks exactly like what my birds look like when they start molting. They don't grow the feathers in orderly. It still seems likelty to me that you are just seeing the regrowth. We like to leave the outer two primaries on our GCC so we can admire the pretty blue feathers, but I can't see anyone intentionally clipping random flights in the middle, it would be harder than cutting the lot. Unless it was done to give a "flighted" look. In which case I don't see that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

OP
B

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
Debs, I really hope you are right. This whole experience left me really upset. :( :( :( good lesson learned though.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Total wtf moment.
I had previously asked everyone here whether or not I should go to the vet or petshop.
I now trust NO ONE doing my birds clippings. I will be doing all of my birds with the help of someone holding them.

You should be able to find a fine and trustworthy groomer -- most don't mess up like what you encountered. If you should want to have your bird clipped outside the home, there's nothing wrong with asking to tallk to the person that is going to do it, and ask how they do it and tell them what you want -- even if it is the same vet's office -- i think it's always good to ask each time in case a new employee is doing it. You wouldn't be the first or last to ask that question and if they are not happy to answer it, then don't let them do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts