Have Caique, Will Travel

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
One of the big things that attracted us to Caiques is their adventurous spirit. I had heard that they took very well to traveling and have been pleasantly surprised that our little guys fit this stereotype. We visit family a lot over the weekends, and we wanted to be able to take our fids with us when we did.

The first big step to this has been Caiquing the cage. I have to give my wife the credit on one. Every time I told her, "Honey, nothing else will fit in that cage," something else would make it's way in there. Bunsen & Beaker love this setup, btw. It gets them through a day of watching 50 middle schoolers dancing across the room all day. That's a story for another day, though.

Caiquing - the act of cramming enough stimulation into a tiny space as to cause A.D.H.D. in even the most calm of beings; see picture
jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9517-setup.jpg

We had brought the birds to my parents, but that was a bit easier than this project. My mom has owned birds her entire life and the house has an Amazon, Macaw, and a Pionus. They knew how to speak bird.

My wife's family isn't familiar with birds and this was an exercise in introductions between people and birds. Also, my wife's aunt is mentally disabled. So, armed with every bird toy in the apartment, and enough food and water to get us to Mexico (about a day's drive), we set out!

jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9518-car-seat.jpg

These guys LOVE the car. They get excited at the sight of their travel cage. Seriously, this is the only time they are ever quiet. I think it's a roller coaster ride to them. Oh! and white cars. White cars are evil. My car is white, but I don't think they know this yet. Let us hope, they never find out. Any white car is met with a ferocious Caique growl. Scary stuff, folks.

One short hour of driving and we arrive. We taught everyone Step-Up and explained a few basics.

jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9520-dad.jpg

The biggest thing I always have to explain is "Beaky." The concept that when a bird puts their beak on you, it's not necessarily to bite is just foreign to most people. Usually, after I let them feel the little grabbing and explain that it's not vicious, people warm up pretty quickly. I mean, Caiques are hella charming when they're not tearing your stuff up.

jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9522-family.jpg

Soon enough, they were just part of the family... except for the dog. If someone could help me understand this, I would be grateful. Our Caiques love people, but anything that's not a people is the enemy. Anything that could possibly take the spotlight off of them must be purged from planet earth. So far, this includes cats, dogs, & other birds. At one point Bunsen dive bombed grandma's toy poodle. The poor dog nearly had a heart attack.

The next step was introducing the birds to the Aunt. This was really a lot of fun for me. She can't speak because of a stroke, but she does sign language. At first, she was scared to death. We had to do a slow introduction.

jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9523-aunt2.jpg

Once she held Beaker for a little bit, she was sold, though. The surfing delighted her and even the flapping of wings didn't bother her in the least. Once the birds were back in the cage, she'd keep pointing towards them to try and get us to take them back out.

jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9521-aunt.jpg

So, we successfully visited grandma's house. School started last Monday and my wife is going to see if she can bring Bunsen & Beaker in on a Friday to start. We'll see how it goes.

As an epilogue, and just to reinforce this idea of how much the Caiques love the roller coaster car ride, my wife falls asleep in the car all the time. She calls it her carcolepsy. As we're driving, she'll periodically wake up with a jerk. More than once, she's almost sent the cage toppling into the floor board. I think this is the boys' favorite part. It doesn't bother them in the least.

jowelbg-albums-traveling-caiques-picture9524-sleepy.jpg

As I was typing this, Bunsen removed 2 keys off my keyboard...
Joel

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Pippi hasn't been on any trips yet, but I'm hoping to take her to my grandparents soon. They're not familiar with birds, so I'm not sure how it will turn out...they're enthusiastic about meeting her, though. Pippi already loves her carrier and the car. I think caiques just like exploring and seeing new things. :) She attacks everything other than people, too-the rabbit, dog, and cat. I guess they just want to play, but it scares the other animals to death! :p

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Joel ,This was Great !!! I loved It :). I would have had the same thought process [as your wife ] in the carrier .Cant have too many toys :) Im surprised they wernt trying to get things on the dinner table. That must be when their older [Cant wait for Thanksgiving !!} Did you grow up with birds ? How did you guys decide on Caiques?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
cooper doesnt mind travelling either. he doesnt *LOVE* the car like your little beaks but doesnt mindit in the least. what he does love is to arrive whereever we are going. we take him to my grandparents all the time in his carrier and he loves it. we go there almost every weekend and go swimming and have lunch. once he is used to his harness i can get him out of the carrier too :)

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
If you think cars are fun, try an RV! We put our Too in a large dog crate and bungee it to the dinette in front of a widow. When we are traveling we never hear a peep. he plays and watches cars go by. When he see's the RV he gets excited and is ready to GO!!!!!

Gonna see how he does on a three week trip next month. Don't forsee any issues, he loves to sightsee.

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Love it!! Good job! I love taking Meiko out! People think I'm crazy for carrying a bird around. I took him to my office and people were interested in him. He loved showing off his tricks, but would not let a male touch him!!! Only females. Whoops >.<

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What an awesome and successful adventure/outing/playdate with all. :D LOVED all the pictures, and you put a HUGE smile on my face! I thank you for that. :)

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
This was an awesome post! The only thing holding me back from adopting a caique (or 2) is the attacking-other-pets thing. I have a 10 year old beagle (who once snapped at a swooping lovebird) and I'm just so worried that I couldn't have them out together and one or the other would feel slighted, or worse, one or the other would end up injured...

In any case, you two seem to have a great little family there and being able to travel as a team is fabulous. Nice work. You are raising great birds.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Great story!
My two guys love riding in any car, but especially love the 350z convertible!!
The hard I drive, the better they like it! Hanging on and cheering at full volume! It's hysterical watching them hang by one foot, swinging around! I've got a clear travel cage so they can see everything! Now to figure out how to take them out for a bicycle ride on the road bike!

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Joel, I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Just wonderful on so many different levels: funny, touching, warm, and uttely entertaining. Thank you for this.
Derek

PS Eliza and Henry love traveling too, which is a real bonus. Admittedly, it was a bit easier when I just had Eliza. In the car, and off we went.

Now, I have to sit there patiently while the two of them bicker over who gets to drive... :D

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
This was an awesome post! The only thing holding me back from adopting a caique (or 2) is the attacking-other-pets thing. I have a 10 year old beagle (who once snapped at a swooping lovebird) and I'm just so worried that I couldn't have them out together and one or the other would feel slighted, or worse, one or the other would end up injured...

My caique is fine with the cat (go figure) but will chomp the dog if she's going by. Honestly, it's not much of an inconvenience. My dog is 12 and she sleeps a lot, so if the bird is out, she'll lay down. You just have to train the dog and bird to keep to themselves. Honestly, any bird you should be careful with around dogs.

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Oof, so busy! My wife had full time middle schoolers back last week. All that to say, sorry I didn't get a chance to respond.

Joel ,This was Great !!! I loved It :). I would have had the same thought process [as your wife ] in the carrier .Cant have too many toys :) Im surprised they wernt trying to get things on the dinner table. That must be when their older [Cant wait for Thanksgiving !!} Did you grow up with birds ? How did you guys decide on Caiques?

They didn't get to sit at the table. The grandparents weren't quite ready for that. At home, we give them their own bowl while we eat and, you guessed it, they want whatever they can't have. Honestly, the way we decided on these guys was, we visited a lot of bird shops. I wanted to get some hands on time before we decided. These two matched our personality best and that was followed by months of research to make sure there quirks weren't going to be a show stopper later on. They're pretty great little birds.

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I loved hearing how you guys travel with your birds!

If you think cars are fun, try an RV! We put our Too in a large dog crate and bungee it to the dinette in front of a widow. When we are traveling we never hear a peep. he plays and watches cars go by. When he see's the RV he gets excited and is ready to GO!!!!!

Gonna see how he does on a three week trip next month. Don't forsee any issues, he loves to sightsee.

I'm picturing an RV shaped bird cage here. During rest stops, you slide the bottom out and change the newspaper! :09:

Great story!
My two guys love riding in any car, but especially love the 350z convertible!!
The hard I drive, the better they like it! Hanging on and cheering at full volume! It's hysterical watching them hang by one foot, swinging around! I've got a clear travel cage so they can see everything! Now to figure out how to take them out for a bicycle ride on the road bike!

I've never wanted a convertible. I do now. That sounds like so much fun to watch!

... Now, I have to sit there patiently while the two of them bicker over who gets to drive... :D

I've never been around a bird that was so into everything. I swear, they really would try to drive the car if you weren't watching.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen this thread. Great pictures and stories to go along with them!

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
I've never been around a bird that was so into everything. I swear, they really would try to drive the car if you weren't watching.

That certainly sums up caiques! The other night, Eliza and Henry were happily playing in the hallway. I figured it would be a good opportunity to re-string my 12-string guitar, which is one of the most mind-numbingly boring things anyone could do.

The second I started, they were both climbing up my legs and pretty much getting in the way of everything. And both extremely pleased with themselves for doing so.

The caique's motto appears to be: "It doesn't matter what I'm doing: what you're doing must be more fun. Therefore, I need to be right in the middle of it...immediately!"
Derek

Most Reactions