Haven't Posted in a While

Cymmie

Sep 13, 2014
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon (actually my mom's) Kookie | Female; Bourke's Parakeet (mine) Lark | Male
Haven't been here in a while. Work has kept me busy, but my Bourke's Parakeet, Lark is doing great. His cage has changed a bit for the better. He is now fully flighted and is deeply bonded with me. He prefers me to anyone else and I am the only person that he is guaranteed to either not bite or not fly off of. He still doesn't enjoy being pet at all, he only likes hands near him if they are there to offer him a perch. He has no qualms about biting you if it's too late at night or he's just not in the mood. I am trying to teach him the word 'no' but it's a slow process. He never bites very hard unless your purposefully pushing his limits, he always gives warning nips. And he absolutely loves kisses.

He's learning new whistles and calls all the time, he's learned to make some wild bird sounds that he has picked up from the birds outside when I have the sliding glass door open. His whistle 'vocabulary' is rather large and I would say he can make around 35 different sounds at least.

He absolutely loves bells, they are his favorite toy, and he eats copious amounts for one so small, though he's perfect weight. He loves his vita-kraft sticks though he only gets one of these every other week. He is incredibly intelligent especially for a bird that is supposed to be an aviary bird, I don't understand why more people don't have them as a bonded bird. They are just as awesome as Budgies, would be even better for apartments than budgies because they are much less noisy and have softer and prettier sounds.

Either way in conclusion I guess I just wanted to say how happy I am to have him as a part of my family, Lark is so great.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great to hear how well it's going with Lark :). I agree that their noises are much softer and more pleasant than a budgie. They're more graceful and delicate, whereas budgies can be obnoxious and more aggressive. My mom has an older Bourke's. Pinky just steps up and doesn't like petting, but that's just in their nature. Still, one doesn't have to be a touchy feely type to be bonded. They're cute little guys.

Most Reactions