Heated perch

eddieparrot5

Aug 23, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
Gray female cockatiel
Pikachu male cockatiel
Hi everyone!
I'm kind of new here and also to birds, now I have two cockatiels, Gray and Pikachu, both been with me since june and august (in that order) of this year. It been an amazing time having them, I love them!
My concern right now, it started to get chili at nights, and on the mornings when I uncover them, I notice their feet cold,
Does anyone here been using the heated perch?
Is it safe?
Highly recommended?
Or any other suggestions?

Talk to you soon

Hilda.
Photo taken this morning , sorry if it's blurry, they are taking sun shower

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446397678.001050.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I know some people do use and recommend heated perches. I don't use them, partly because I'd be afraid that somebirdy would get to the wires and decide they make a nice chew toy! ;) Saying that, it is possible to cover the wire so that birds can't chew it up.

It does get pretty chilly in the bird room in the winter, and, at most, I generally just close the window that I otherwise leave open 24/7 during the rest of the year! I've noticed temps as low as the 50's F in their room and the heater only comes on at certain times of the day, so it's not warm all the time. I've only ever provided additional heating to one bird, and only because she was an older bird with health issues. Since she has passed on and the rest of my birds are healthy, I do not feel the need to provide additional heating for them.

If you feel your birds need additional heating, there's also the Avitech Heat Panels. :)

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I don't have one, but I've contemplated it several times. Both our conure and starling like to stand on my monitor and the tv when it's cold, so I think they just like the warmth.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I've tossed around the idea for years, but have ultimately not got one. Having been a long time reptile owner, I guess I have just heard one too many horror stories of under tank heaters overheating and am afraid of the same thing happening with a perch. I mean, heating elements of any kind can overheat and burnt birdie toesies? Just really don't even want to ever have the potential to deal with that.

Have you considered wrapping their perches in a fleece fabric or buying them fleece sleeping huts? Might help them keep a little warmer:) That's what my bird gets in the winter- a little cozy tent to sleep in should he get cold.

OP
eddieparrot5

eddieparrot5

Aug 23, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
Gray female cockatiel
Pikachu male cockatiel
Thanks for your responses!

Since I work from home, the cage that's in the house it's only use for sleeping , I was on the idea of once they were ready for sleep I would put the perch. I would said I'm not to confident on the heat they will produce,
But the advise on wrapping their perches sounds good and I will definitely try it,

Thanks again

Holly the U2

Apr 17, 2015
Phila, PA
Parrots
Holly - U2
Birds lose body heat through their feet. I have large sanded thermo perches in each of my toos cages, they both sleep on them.

Most Reactions