Having a little trouble getting my lovebird and cockatiel to like each other.

Harrybasford

Oct 8, 2011
It's not that bad, and I've only had my love bird (Libby) for less than 2 weeks. she is an amazing little cutie, loves snuggles, loves being on her back, prefers to sleep in my hand than anywhere else. And my cockatiel Charlie, more sensible bird, he is more self entertaining (he likes sleeping by his mirror during some parts of the day), bought him 2 weeks before I bought my love bird, and they were in the same cage in the pet shop. When I brought the love bird home they had a little pop at each other. They have not hurt one another, but when Libby approaches Charlie, Charlie has a go at him. Libby is quite bullish though and will almost charge Charlie down (while she looks at the ground examining things, or runs at the mirror). Charlie doesn't get as much time on me as Libby does, they are both out of their cage all day, and i take them out on trips, but I mean on my shoulder while I work, and that is mostly because Charlie doesn't like Libby much, and Libby likes Charlie's feet a bit too much. Nothing too nasty though yet. They are two different species, so what I'm wondering is.... should i keep their cages side by side, and Libby has a very forceful attitude and might eventually make Charlie tolerate him. Or separate their cages (different sides of the room) so Charlie can still relax, and teach Libby to entertain herself a bit more, while I spend time with my love bird. And is there a way to make them tolerate each other more? just have them both on my shoulder all day, or go out on walks with both of them, or something?
And also, I plan to start clicker training them soon, will that help? if I trained them together? They are both about 3 and a bit old.

Many thanks

OP
H

Harrybasford

Oct 8, 2011
And this is an older version of my setup, its now 2 black tables, with the white tray in between and less clutter. I'm going to take their almost constant supply of millet on their tray away soon, in readyness for clickertraining and also get them on pellet food.

Attachments

• DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,635

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
Maybe they need a little more time to adjust. Even though they shared a cage at the pet store, they are both in a new environment now. I have 2 budgies that don't share a cage well but do fine in side-by-side cages. You could try giving Libby and Charlie separate out-of-cage time to cut down on the aggression.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
No, definitely do NOT put them together!
Lovebirds don't get on with other species. They have big beaks.
A member on here ages ago lost a budgie to a lovebird, can't remember who.
Keep them in separate cages with supervised out-of-cage time.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I wouldn't force them to be friends... They're completely different species of birds.. Be kind...

It's not that bad, and I've only had my love bird (Libby) for less than 2 weeks. she is an amazing little cutie, loves snuggles, loves being on her back, prefers to sleep in my hand than anywhere else. And my cockatiel Charlie, more sensible bird, he is more self entertaining (he likes sleeping by his mirror during some parts of the day), bought him 2 weeks before I bought my love bird, and they were in the same cage in the pet shop. When I brought the love bird home they had a little pop at each other. They have not hurt one another, but when Libby approaches Charlie, Charlie has a go at him. Libby is quite bullish though and will almost charge Charlie down (while she looks at the ground examining things, or runs at the mirror). Charlie doesn't get as much time on me as Libby does, they are both out of their cage all day, and i take them out on trips, but I mean on my shoulder while I work, and that is mostly because Charlie doesn't like Libby much, and Libby likes Charlie's feet a bit too much. Nothing too nasty though yet. They are two different species, so what I'm wondering is.... should i keep their cages side by side, and Libby has a very forceful attitude and might eventually make Charlie tolerate him. Or separate their cages (different sides of the room) so Charlie can still relax, and teach Libby to entertain herself a bit more, while I spend time with my love bird. And is there a way to make them tolerate each other more? just have them both on my shoulder all day, or go out on walks with both of them, or something?
And also, I plan to start clicker training them soon, will that help? if I trained them together? They are both about 3 and a bit old.

Many thanks

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I have a conure and a pionus, they stay separate (since I've only had my pi for 2 weeks). They need time to adjust and I doubt I'll put them together ever other than play time outside the cage. The cages are on opposite sides of the room and Bleu (the pi) is always out, when I take Lucy (the conure) out I take her into the living room since Lil' Lucy seems to irritate and challenge Bleu

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The only time I've seen a Lovebird and a Cockatiel get along is if they were raised together as chicks. Other then that, I've never seen them get along period. Lovebirds is usually the one that cause problems.

OP
H

Harrybasford

Oct 8, 2011
I'm not forcing them to be friends, and they aren't in the same cage (just cage next to each other, but the lovebird is mostly covered up at night anyway.) The lovebird seems to like the cockatiel but, today more so than ever really the lovebird has been having a pop at the others foot (no damage at all, and only ever 1 nip, I stare at them and usually get up and get ready just incase every time they approach one another.) And all their fights are only 1 beak clashes before I seperate them, I've been putting the instigator of the fight (the lovebird nipping cockatiels feet) in his cage, and if he is vocal in there he stays in till longer, and quiet.) I got them on their propper diet now of pellets, doubt that will change much, but I havent left it long enough yet (only had the lovebird a couple of weeks) and starting training within 24 hours, so that might also change things? What do you think? and thanks for everyones help up to now.

OP
H

Harrybasford

Oct 8, 2011
I have a conure and a pionus, they stay separate (since I've only had my pi for 2 weeks). They need time to adjust and I doubt I'll put them together ever other than play time outside the cage. The cages are on opposite sides of the room and Bleu (the pi) is always out, when I take Lucy (the conure) out I take her into the living room since Lil' Lucy seems to irritate and challenge Bleu

Sounds similar to my lovebird and cockatiel, but my birds are always out of their cage, for the last month, atleast 10 hours a day, if not more. Wonders of working for yourself. They get on okay, they love destroying their herb garden together, and sometimes my lovebird will scratch my cockatiels head, so they cant hate each other, but then the lovebird bites his feet! Id love a conure, is it a blue crowned? How is she?

Most Reactions