he finally ate fresh food.

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
Clifford ate a good dinner tonight. I diced up some grapes, apples, melon, carrots, and broccoli and put it in his bowl and he ate it all. Then he had some of his perch for dessert. Lol. I'm so glad he ate some good food! Does anyone know why he prefers to chew on his perch instead of one of his toys? He chewes the toys a little, but he is DESTROYING his perch.
Oh well, at least he's swallowing the food and not the wood ;-)

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
"Then he had some of his perch for dessert! LOL!

Wow, you've made some amazing progress with Clifford lately!

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Thank you!!! I feel like I've been working very hard. Nice to see it pay off! :)

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Congrats! I know ours won't touch fruits or veggies but she never had them before. I gave her a bit of banana last night and she ran away from it screeching!

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
That's great news! Tico has always been afraid of fruit and such since when I first brought him home. He does like grapes and will eat those but not much else. I keep offering hoping sooner or later..

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Very good, CM. We have to keep at it. Also, try dicing the fruit & veggies. Serve as diced, and also try mashing them up. Often birds don't recpgnize large pieces of fruit & veg as food.

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
That's great news. Many people give up on feeding the fruits and veggies too quickly. I know my zon eats both, plus pellets. But some days he hardly touches the fruit and veggies - just picks out his favorites. Then the next time he will almost clean up the whole bowl.

Good for you for sticking with the healthy stuff. I almost think they need to convince themselves it's not going to eat them before they will even try it. lol

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
That's great he ate the fruits/veggies! :) Maybe he just likes the texture/softness of the perch better than the toys? You may be able to find toys with wood pieces with a similar texture.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Congratulations!

Maybe his perch IS his favorite toy!

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Thanks everybody. I'm going to try some birdie bread and some sprouts too. and as far as the perch goes, if it makes him happy to chew it, thats fine. They arent all that expensive to replace. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts