He is Going to Drive Me Up a Wall!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I am just quite serious when it comes to animal welfare and care. I did the rescue thing myself. It's not pretty with some of the things I've seen. That's just something I do not joke about....

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
We are very active with AHW shelter, so we know only too well... and Folger sat in a shelter for 6 years, but joking about sneaking a bird back into a shelter is not the same as saying he is being 'surrendered' to a shelter... or even discussing giving up birds for say health reasons... or because a cockatoo was too much to handle. Agree, those topics when seriously discussed is not a joke, but with all that has been discussed about how amazing Folger is progressing and doing under Victoria's care, its really a stretch to think 'sneaking' him back into the shelter was serious.

And his eyes are actually quite healthy, if you search or do homework about bare eyed toos, the puffy skin look is actually an indication of health and hydration. Many people who are not familiar with the breed think there is a health problem with the look of the eye area, but guess that's why they call them bare eyed :)

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Birds are not our first rescue endeavor. What people do to horses, rats, ferrets, cats, each other.. its all sick and not pretty. Worked with a huge gelding when I was around 10 who used to be whipped and beaten when he didn't do what his owners wanted. I was one of the few he trusted with a whip near him. So yes I know life isn't nice or fair. However, we joke...its what we do and life being not pretty is not going to change that... just who we are and how we deal. Been that way all my life!

My humor is twisted:) My mothers morbid sense of humor is actually tame compared to mine (probably one of the reasons Folger likes me so much...)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I understood that the comment about sending him back to the shelter was a joke, unfortunately sometimes things on the internet don't come across as intended. I can tell that some members here have a personal relationship and some comments have content that everyone won't "get".

I'm always telling my pets that I'll send them back to the orphanage (and another old-fashioned saying that is probably not PC, so I won't repeat it) when they've done something annoying. I was told by a vet that I SHOULD send my "problem dog" back (another one told me to kill him) but we're ok here.

Rescue issues and dumping are serious, but sometimes you do need a sense of humour when you've got a "problem child".

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Thanks for that post.... very well put!

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
You guys are doing great with this boy. He is so lucky to be with you and I'm sure you feel the same way. I must have the same humor. You both make me giggle and never would I take it as anything but humor. And I concur....he has the same dopey, goofy eyes as Jasper. That's some healthy bare eyed Too eyes.- bare and swollen looking, just like us BE2 people love (I think we are a strange group. Lol) :). I hope he continues to get better with the picking. I'm sure it's frustrating to see but that's wonderful that he is not plucking! Sounds like he is on the right path.

Most Reactions

Latest posts