He said "Hello"!!!!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I see lots of new posts, so when I get a chance later today, I'll check them out. But I just had to take a moment and brag about my boy!!

This morning, I took him out and placed him on top of his cage for his food. He's making all kinds of happy noises, eating, dunking, while Hubs and I lay in bed and watch/talk to him. He makes a "cluck" noise (our description), and then plain as day looks up and says "Hello", then continues eating. I thought it was my imagination but I automatically responded with "hello to you too" and Hubs goes "okay, he DID say that! I thought I was hearing things."

The fact that we both heard it clear as a bell confirms it! Loki said his first word!!!:green2:

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Yeaaa!!! Congratulations! It's soo exciting - I know!

Our little Franklin is learning some vocabulary as well which is exciting for us because Conures aren't very good talkers (as a general rule)

But our Franklin is 1 year old now and he says.

Hello, Good boy, and will ONLY whisper "pretty bird"...and he's trying to say "Him a good boy?" But it comes out sounding like "he a ooh oie?" (cracks me up!) And he also makes the kissing sound when I say "Gimme a kiss"

I love birds no matter what, but it does add a bit of something extra when they talk, even just a few words. :)

Have fun!

Toni

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Congratulations! How exciting to hear their first words! It never gets old, either.

You are soo right! It doesn't get old.

I taught our cockatiel to say "Gimme a kiss" complete with a series of smooching sounds after he says it...then I've been working on having him say "THank you" after the smooching sounds...

Well a couple weeks ago when I was cooking dinner, Chicken blurts out..."Gimme kiss - ***kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss sound****

I teared up he melted my heart sooo much!

Then I nearly bawled like a baby when ONE time a few days ago...(so far i've only heard it once) he followed up with "THank you!" in his little high pitched voice...my heart swelled and tears welled up in my eyes...

Gawwwwwwd! I'm such a softie!

It's nearly the cutest thing ever...I have to get it on video to share with you all. My Chicken is nearly the best talking cockatiel I've ever heard and I've searched all the you tube videos! LOLOL

Toni

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I know GCC's aren't usually talkers, so it was REALLY shocking when he did it. I know it's not impossible, just not fairly common. He has always seemed to "practice" which sounds like garbled sounds, which our African Grey used to do as well.

He's always made kissy sounds, but apparently he'll actually give my husband kisses. I'm a little jealous about that, he won't do it for me!

And Lexx - no it doesn't ever get old!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Congrats! I agree hearing them speak never gets old!

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
OH MY GOD!!! Literally, just now, I came into the room and Loki was making noises. I went over to him and he kept talking and I realized he was talking. To average ears, it doesn't sound like anything, but I realized he was saying "StepUpStepUpStepUp", just like that. So I said it back to him and he said it again! So I put my hand out and said "step up" and he did.

This from the bird who, even after 6 weeks of visiting him 3x's a week, didn't make a single sound in front of me until I brought him home! Oh Loki, you've got a very proud momma!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
In my opinion, the ability to speak puts our birds way above any other pets! How great for you!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
The first word is so special, congrats! Hello was Rowdy's first word, too.

But, keep talking to him the way you would to a bird known to be a good talker, because Rowdy says whole sentences and new things all the time. She has by far the best vocabulary of any of my birds. Today she kept telling me, "I AM going to find out about it!" And now when she sees Merlin hanging upside down by one toe she says, "Be careful with that." I do not know the extent of her vocabulary because she constantly says funny things even if only once.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
That is so awesome! I can't imagine how happy it made you :)

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Thanks guys.

Yeah, we talk to Loki (and Sugar when we see her) as if he was one of our kids (really, the birds are our kids since we aren't having anymore bio children) and we never talked to our daughter in baby talk. We "converse" with him, around him and make it a point to include him in casual conversations. I think he chose Hello and Step Up as his first words because they're both words we use frequently with nothing else. I'm hoping that since he's shown us that he can speak, that with the addition of Sugar (Goffin) at the end of the month, he might be inclined to use words more often to tell us what he wants.

Hubs is hoping "head rubs" is next, lol.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I just decided right from the beginning to treat Rowdy as if she were an African Grey, and hope for the best. Now sometimes she can go on for entire paragraphs in that little scratchy old man's conure voice and I'm lucky to pick up 4 or 5 words when she does that. But, when she makes the effort she talks very well and anyone can understand her.

I've told people to do the same for the species not known to talk as I'm positive they come to understand our language just as much as birds who do talk a lot. There's no reason to think they don't. And my dozen years with Rowdy has taught me just how smart these animals are. I even try to change how I say things to try to fool her and it doesn't work, lol! I know if I say I'm getting your dinner or getting your veggies she's going to go bonkers. So a couple of weeks ago I tried to say, I need to get your stuff, and she understood that, too.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
That is very exciting! It still just amazes me how they can learn to talk! I agree that it never gets old.

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I was told not to expect Loki to talk, since GCC aren't usually big talkers and especially because Loki didn't seem vocal and he was already over year when we got him. I'm literally over the moon about it and him.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, definitely keep going. Rowdy wasn't a young baby when I got her. When she said hello in just 2 weeks, I figured she might be a good talker. My Blue Crown got the credit among my family and friends as the good talker because she never shut up and talked very loudly and clearly. She also was very emotional, which made her pretty special. But, I would tell everyone, well, really it's Rowdy who knows a huge number of words and makes her own sentences. So what makes a better talker? A bird that does it all day and is very loud and clear or one who has a huge vocabulary?

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Yaaay! Congratulations! It's so cool when your bird learns to talk! After the Tori learned his first words ("Hi Tori") He keeps picking up new words. I bet your bird will be the same way! :D

So exciting!

I was told not to expect Loki to talk, since GCC aren't usually big talkers and especially because Loki didn't seem vocal and he was already over year when we got him. I'm literally over the moon about it and him.

Ohhhh nono. My bird, Tori, is a GCC and he knows quite a few words. His best phrase is "Hi Tori! Be a good bird, Tori bird." then he'll keep saying "Wucha doin?" He learned this without even an ounce of effort from me.

Last edited:

Most Reactions