He will NOT shut up!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
My sympathies dear. I've got a pair of youngins that can drive us nuts but I've managed to lessen it a great deal. Advantage I have with my critters is they understand simple words and phrases. Example. Im an older guy and like a nap sometimes. My birds understand who "daddy" and "momma" are. So when I go to take my/our nap I tell them Daddy is going nite nite... THEY BOTH GET IT... and I don't get a squawk out of them. Same thing when I putter round the house.or running to the store or if I leave the room I tell them BE RIGHT BACK....and yeah.. they get that too. Strange as it may seem tho.. later when I tuck in my wife (she goes to bed before me) nothing I do gets them to hush.... so I just call to them... BE RIGHT BACK.. until I return.. then its silence again.. lol. Go figure.
Just a thought.. and it would be drastic. Ever consider a second bird so when you leave the room his whole flock didn't leave? I know this could backfire and u end up with twice the noise but think about it. Surprisingly my BFA Cookie is a wonderful loving "babysitter" for my lil SC Booger. Lots of times when I leave the house I put them in the cage together so they can hang out and have a preening/cuddle party together. Just a thought.. wish ya best of luck.

OP
Lauren

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
I appreciate EVERYONE responding :D

Seth made a delicious meal last night

Totally kidding :30:

Seth is the type of bird who loves chaos (when people are over, the dog is rowdy, we're doing dishes and clang them together by mistake); he loves the noise and attention. Which is why he's usually around us in whatever room we're in.

He's manageable in keeping him in one spot as he cannot fly, so he IS restrained to whatever we put him on (thank god).

I searched for over 6 months trying to find another blue crown conure here in Ontario and couldn't locate any :(, I ended up bringing home a 3 year old white capped Pionus named Lily who settled in fantastic and loves my boyfriend.

Seth and her hate each other more than heat and ice :28: but they will tolerate each others' presence.

I am going to try for more of a routine with birb and see if that helps him.

Today I got up at my usual time before the gym (luckily he made NO NOISE) I went downstairs gave him a quick head rub and an almond and as soon as I left the room and he devoured his almond, it was like the Apocalypse, the yelling, the noises, the temper tantrum.

I'll try to post a video, it's hilarious when you watch it, but not for 3 hours......

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Lauren... I can still learn stuff even after all this time.
LOVING CHAOS --- that is very descriptive of the Rb. I never quite put my finger on it.
He feeds on chaos like evil spirits feed on victims' fear in the movies!!! AND he's flighted, so when he's on the loose, he can follow chaos! Thank you.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
OOPS sorry.. totally missed out that you have a second bird already!.. this lil tablet and these OLD eyes.... Strange how some birds will buddy up with another bird, size/ species not an issue, but others will go in to "kill" mode. When I adopted my lil Booger I was so worried that Cookie (BFA) would try to make a meal out of him. But after the introduction it was about an instant bond. I wish I could post pics but this tablet has some goofy software on it that requires a "url" and I cant figure it out. duh.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I appreciate EVERYONE responding :D

Seth made a delicious meal last night

Totally kidding :30:

Seth is the type of bird who loves chaos (when people are over, the dog is rowdy, we're doing dishes and clang them together by mistake); he loves the noise and attention. Which is why he's usually around us in whatever room we're in.

He's manageable in keeping him in one spot as he cannot fly, so he IS restrained to whatever we put him on (thank god).

I searched for over 6 months trying to find another blue crown conure here in Ontario and couldn't locate any :(, I ended up bringing home a 3 year old white capped Pionus named Lily who settled in fantastic and loves my boyfriend.

Seth and her hate each other more than heat and ice :28: but they will tolerate each others' presence.

I am going to try for more of a routine with birb and see if that helps him.

Today I got up at my usual time before the gym (luckily he made NO NOISE) I went downstairs gave him a quick head rub and an almond and as soon as I left the room and he devoured his almond, it was like the Apocalypse, the yelling, the noises, the temper tantrum.

I'll try to post a video, it's hilarious when you watch it, but not for 3 hours......

Speaking of Agents of Chaos, I think Rickey may be The Joker of parrots.

But seriously his cage is upstairs and down a hall and two closeable doors away from our main living area. He does have stands in pretty much every room and can fly, so when he is allowed out he can fly around. In a busier house with kids or other animals not an option. Plus we have an old house with thick walls and so forth. I wonder if some kind of sound insulation might be a possibility for some cases.

flynny

Feb 8, 2022
Parrots
Some grey thing
:mad:

I'm a lifetime lurker/active member when I have time :p but I have a 16 year old male blue crown conure who cannot fly and he is such a lovable birb and seriously.... he's either going to be cooked on the barbeque tonight or he's becoming a chew toy//

I do NOT get it. The yelling, it's unreal. 6:30am rolls around and it's yelling once he hears ANY movement from the bedroom, whether it's dog, my boyfriend or myself.

This continues, despite ignoring, until we lose our cool and just go get him and put him on the floor in the kitchen (today, is a prime example: 6:30 to 12pm so far he's been going off)

It doesn't matter if we ignore, call down to him, play music, squirt him with a water bottle, yell back and forth, NOTHING WILL SHUT HIM UP.

When he's yelling, and I creep on him, he's walking on the bottom of his cage... I have no idea why he does this.

I've tried encouraging foraging, and making a HUGE deal when he rips up paper or plays with a foot toy - nope as soon as I leave him to play on his own, he drops things and the noise continues.

I've made toys for him, foraging boxes, shredders, he has shower perches, boings, a massive tree stand... NOTHING WILL KEEP THIS BIRD QUIET... unless he's sitting on my shoulder......

HELP, please. Before I lose my mind
I need to know what happened 🤣

Most Reactions

Latest posts