He won't come out and he likes me more??

punkygreenfrog

Mar 9, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I got a Jenday conure for my husband about a month ago (His name is Griffin 004.jpg )and hand training his has been going great but the last two weeks or so he is refusing to come to us from the cage. I don't like to stress him out by chasing him with our hands to get him to come out (I think its mean) so we started out by giving him bird gummies. The first two weeks it worked great he would come out on top of his cage and come onto your finger for the gummy. Now he won't do it. The last few times that I have had him out to play it was because he decided to fly onto the floor so I picked him up and then he is perfectly happy to cuddle and spend time with me but getting him out of the cage has become exceedingly difficult and I'm not sure why. My husband and I are the only ones who actually take him out of the cage so I know he didn't have a bad experience coming out.

On top of that, I got him for my husband but he likes me more... I make sure to spend time with him (my work and school schedule is strange so I have 3 days that I'm only home to sleep and 4 days home to do school work etc) the days that I am home I make sure to read to him whatever I'm reading for school (he's going to be really smart) because we read somewhere that they like you to just talk or read to them. I make sure that I spend time in the living room (where his cage is) since he won't always come out. The other day he let me for the VERY FIRST TIME pet him (amazing) but he won't let my husband pet him. My husband says if he has him out as soon as I come home its like he doesn't matter anymore.

Please help!

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
I have the same problem, one day i have a sweet loving cuddly bird, then the next he's screaming and throwing his food at me. They just do that, someone told me today that 'tis the season for hormones too ;-). fun stuff. Griffin is very pretty.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think he just needs more time to settle in and adjust to your home and all the family members. It's possible something scared him last time he was out. It could have been anything, and something you wouldn't even notice. I would just let him set the pace of when he wants to come out. In the meantime, talk to him, sing to him, play peak a boo or other silly games. Feed him treats from your fingers.

As for liking you more, that happens! Birds chose who they like rather than the other way around. Maybe down the road you will add another bird, and let one pick out your husband so he has one, too.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Also parrots often do "choose" ppl and sometimes there isnt much we can do about who they "choose" or maybe if your husband is home more than when you come its exciting and new???? I know If both me and my bf are gone from my house and both come back Chia will choose me over him but if Ive been home all day then my bf comes she is latched to him like crazy :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts