Outdoor Aviaries

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Im looking into either buying or having my dad build an aviary for Sprite. In the summer we are almost always outside but I wouldn't want to be outside without Sprite xD
I think it would be best to have it on our outside deck where he could sit and watch us in the pool...The deck floor is wood, would that be ok? It would be really easy to clean and I think it'd be fine for Sprite.
Also, if I were to build one, what wire should I use?
If I were to buy one, where is a good quality one that is on the cheaper side??
:22: <---I just had to do that smiley :D:rolleyes::grey:

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
I wish I could do this for my baby because we are outside all the time too, But my yard is already FULL of mosquitoes. So sad, I just know he would love it outside.

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
I wish I could do this for my baby because we are outside all the time too, But my yard is already FULL of mosquitoes. So sad, I just know he would love it outside.

Forgot about mosquitos :( Luckily we don't really have mosquitoes in the backyard deck, just flies, but they couldn't do any harm, right?

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
I would be afraid that he would eat them and get sick....I dont know havent researched much about birds being outside a lot...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Mosquitos are a concern for West Nile Virus transmission primarily. Because it is in my area, I really can't take my birds outside anymore. Maybe if you could build something with stainless steel screening to protect them, that would be ok. However, hawks and other raptors can easily break through that, as well as dogs, and possibly cats.

The wood on the deck is probably treated to prevent rotting and that is dangerous to birds if he should go down there and chew it. Now he may have no interest in going to the bottom of his aviary, but if he does, you need to be very careful.

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
I think Im just going to buy a cage to put him outside in. I already have one, but its more like a 'keet size...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't think you actually have to worry about them eating insects. Or at least none of mine have. I once thought Rowdy was going to eat this huge cricket because she went flying over to it. But, she just wanted to introduce herself, apparently. She said hello to it. It sat there looking at her (and probably thinking, oh crap!). When it didn't answer she yelled hello at it, lol! She doesn't know that not everything talks.

Pete was trying to get the cat to talk to him today. He just kept saying, hi, hello, watcha doin?

Most Reactions

Latest posts