Head feathers, first sign of molt?

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
thanks greytness, yeah a lot of protein isn't right. As Stephen mentioned, it's just a slight increase during his feather regeneration period.

So I thought I would keep this going as a log of Uglow's first molt.
After his Vet visit on the 17th of May Uglow dropped a few more feathers and then stopped.
His pin feathers have grown out and have popped open over the last few weeks.
3 days ago, he started losing feathers again, this time from his chest and belly. about 6 feathers so far. I'm guessing this is Phase 2 of his molt.

Weight. He gained about 9 grams during his first phase and gradually went back to normal. I'm noticing he's starting to gradually go up again.

Again, my guess is, he's gaining a bit of weight as he loses feathers and loosing the weight as the feathers grow in.

Uglow has always been super sweet but he's really upped the sweetness lately. My wife and I were talking about how loving he's gotten lately.

Just to recap.
March - Started losing a few head and neck feathers.
Weight consistently 342 grams.
April - Feather loss accelerated quickly form head,neck and back. Pin feathers appeared. Eating like a mad man
Gained weight to about 351 grams.
May - Feather loss gradually stopped. Pin feathers everywhere. Still eating like a mad man.
Weight peeked at 353 and then started going down.
June (so far) - Pin feathers grown to about 75%. Gradually started losing chest and belly feathers. one or two a day.
Weight has gradually gone back down to 342 grams and is showing signs of increasing a couple of grams. today (10th) it was 344.

Most Reactions