Heartbroken

houston78

Sep 13, 2023
Parrots
green cheek conure
Hi,

Please no hate, I am heartbroken as it is. On Monday my conure was perched on my kitchen door, I didn't realise this and closed the door which in turn slammed the parrot against the door fascia.... an emergency vet visit later and we left with anti-inflammatories and advice to keep an eye on him for the next 72 hours. He is eating, chirping, squaking and moving about his cage but I think the poor soul is now blind. I was advised by two other vets that his eyes could have blood behind them and it will take time to drain, has anyone had experience of conures with blood in the eyes or am I just the worst owner in the world??

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
First of all, you are not the worst owner in the world! You clearly love your bird and what happened was a complete accident. Please donโ€™t blame yourself. It can happen to the best of bird owners. As for blood behind the eyes, Iโ€™ve never heard of that but that doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s not a legitimate diagnosis. You mention that your bird is eating; does that mean heโ€™s finding his way to the food bowl? If so, he must have some sight. If he has a concussion from hitting the wall, that can cause the pupils to have trouble expanding or contracting which can cause sight issues. This would eventually be resolved as your bird heals. I pray that your little buddy will heal quickly and completely. โค๏ธ

MFajardo86

Sep 3, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels
Hi,

Please no hate, I am heartbroken as it is. On Monday my conure was perched on my kitchen door, I didn't realise this and closed the door which in turn slammed the parrot against the door fascia.... an emergency vet visit later and we left with anti-inflammatories and advice to keep an eye on him for the next 72 hours. He is eating, chirping, squaking and moving about his cage but I think the poor soul is now blind. I was advised by two other vets that his eyes could have blood behind them and it will take time to drain, has anyone had experience of conures with blood in the eyes or am I just the worst owner in the world??
Youโ€™d only be the worst own if you didnโ€™t care :: things happen. I know from personal experience trust me

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Firstly, I am SO GLAD this is not a Bereavement forum post!

Secondly, please do not beat yourself up. If you browse the Bereavement forum you will know this is a sad and common accident - key word, accident! It can happen to the best of us, so please do not blame yourself. I hope your little buddy's vision sorts itself out in short order. I agree with the previous poster that it could be anything, and will hopefully pass in a few days.

OP
H

houston78

Sep 13, 2023
Parrots
green cheek conure
Thank you so much to everyone that replied. A week down the line and a lot of TLC and the wee soul is chirping, squaking and flying about thankfully (I have never prayed so much in my life). He is still sore and now has a mis-aligned beak and can't chew so needs to have mashed up food but we can work with that. Thanks again.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thank you for the update! So glad your buddy is doing better โค๏ธ

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 9, 2022