Hello All! New here with a question.

Skippertoo

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Parrots
Meyers parrot (also a dove)
Hi everyone! I joined this forum because from looking at some other posts, people here are just more friendly and helpful than in other forums!

I have my new baby girl Meyers parrot Gilly for about a month already. She just turned four months. She is doing very well and has gotten very attached to me. She is flighted so training is slower but she recalls and steps up and we are starting to clicker/Target train.

She eats beautifully, and takes basically anything I offer.

One thing that bothers me is her poop. She had a full gram stain and culture done last month, so that makes me feel better about it, but still, it seems weird.

One problem is it looks like she holds it until she sees me. When I take her out in the morning, she does a wicked big poop, sometimes with a big squish sound. It is sometimes very wet and watery. Other times I see she has pooped in her food bowl during breakfast and it is just a pile of yellowy-brown stuff, no defined urates or anything.

But this usually just happens in the morning and when I come home, and then when we are playing and she poops they are good and solid and have defined urates and poops, and it is a good dark green color.

Do you guys think this is normal? Why does she seem to hold the poop for when she sees me?

Thanks a lot!

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
If it's in the morning, that seems normal to me. Every owner lives in fear of the 'morning poop', and there's no letting them out until they've had it. It used to worry me, but she's been doing it since I've gotten her so I know there's nothing to know about.

If you don't want her to poop in her bowl, try rising it a few inches above her perches so that she doesn't get the chance.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Yep, the BIG morning poop. Both my Senegal & my Eclectus does it. I let them out of their cages, but only after the morning poop.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
AND THE ANSWER IS!!!!! It's normal; in the wild bird don't poop at night because fresh poop will draw preaditors so they don't poop until in the morning when they can see to fly they also poop just before they fly (sort of lighten the load before takeoff)

Most Reactions

Latest posts