Hello! Biting or playing??

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Hi,
I have been lurking around this forum for a while now. Actually, before I purchased my fully flighted, Eclectus parrot, Mango. Hatched 12/19/13. I have a question about his recent behavior. I have read many posts about biting and really haven't seen any changes with all the recommendations people suggest.
My issue is not so much with myself, but rather my wife and son. Mango seems to behave towards me, even when I intervene, to eliminate his lunge and bite fits he is having towards one of them.
He has been with us for 5 months and has been hand raised, well socialized. He has been moulting about a month now. Loising larger feathers now, no flight feathers. He has no really bald spots, and seems generally happy. He coos, beak grinds, even when he gets nippy! He has bit my wife and son hard during these times, but not me? My wife was feeding him breakfast this morning, and right after he flew down the hallway to his favorite perch in out bedroom doorway. She came through to say hello and pet him and he immediately started lunging and biting. Then I come up to him and cleaned the food off his beak, like he lets us do, and was fine?? He didn't draw blood but does this often to them at different times almost every day. Not just after feeding time, they just never know when? It is frustrating them, after all , they're his family too. He will come and land on them for snuggles too. But generally, since the moulting, doesn't care much for snuggling even from me anymore. He used to snuggle himself to sleep on our chest. Not anymore. If this is all moult related how long should it last? I have been taking him outside on a harness and in his cage since he came to us. I really can't notice any abnormalities in his body language. When he gets in his lunge, biting mood, it looksjust like he gets when he is playing with his toys? Could this all mean he is just playing, just uncontrolled biting? Thanks for reading my long question! :30:

Last edited:
OP
Mango121913

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Well, I think he's playing. Tonight he was wrestling with my hand! He would grab my finger with his foot and roll his head around it then lunge and peck it. Not hard or anything like that. I would pull my hand away, and he would stretch his neck out and wait for me to come back! At first, I thought he was being defensive. But, he acted like he's playing with his ball he rolls around by lunging, pecking, kicking it, "parrot soccer" style. I can't believe how funny he is at just 8 months old! He started to snuggle after that, and WOW has he got the pin feathers all around his neck where he can't get to. He was letting me rub, and gently pinch some of the carotene off them. Poor guy, all those poking him in his thin skin. Trying to make his first moult as comfortable as possible with showers and all. He even likes "beak rubs" where he allows me to scratch the flaking carotene, and food off his beak. Guess everything is fine, the moulting process is screwing with his behavior.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts