Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
i just joined today and so far i love it here. especially since i am able to post already, thats good! i tried to join a couple others but no one ever approved my membership so all i could do was be on the outside looking in. :confused: this one let me in right away:D

i live in PA with my little senegal Marnie, two budgies, and 4 whippets.
a little history....
my 1st bird was a Mynah. i have since had cockatiels, another mynah.
and we had an Amazon for 10yrs (wow thats a lot of bird!)
i recently fell in love with Indian Ringnecks and hope to have a nice hand tame one someday. they are so beautiful!
so after all those years with our boisterous Amazon i wanted something a little smaller and quieter. enter Marnie.
i have only had her a month and she loves to be petted and fussed over, but would always bite. before i even left the pet shop with her i had a hole in my thumb. she bit hard and latched on. OUCH!
she just had her 1st birthday yesterday and suddenly she liked me! she got on my finger, was upsidedown in my arms and very playful!
i am so happy i can finally really handle her, if she would just let my ears alone......:eek:

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Hi there! Pleased to meet you and Marnie, welcome to the forums.

I'm so glad that Marnie is warming up to you, and that she isn't such a biter anymore. It's nice that she just grew out of it instead of needing intense training, I bet that's a relief.

About the ear... make sure you don't wear earrings around birdie. Birdie will see this as a new 'toy', and will try to pull them out. If you already aren't wearing them around her, then here's two important steps to stopping it.

1. Make sure she doesn't get a reaction from you. If you jump and yell 'ouch!', this translates to birdie as 'wow, if I pull those earrings; I get more attention! I should keep doing this.'

2. (Gently), tell her who is boss. Give her a very small nudge when she pulls on it. You'll be suprised at how quickly this works. Senegals are generally not stubborn birds, so this will be easy.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great to have you joining us, great forum.
Marnie is definitely starting to bond with you, take your time be patient.
Browse around, many interesting post.

Last edited:
OP
Marnie

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
thanks for the welcome!:D i was so afraid i would never be able to get her to trust me enough to allow handling, but it took 30 days and she just changed on her birthday! it was a great present to me:D
i just talked to her and petted her everyday.

about the ears, i figured if i wore earrings she would let me ears alone, i guess not. its hard not to yell when that is how puppies are trained not to bite.
i know the parrots like big reactions to their stunts though...........
i will try to zip my lip.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
We give you a warm welcome to a very good forum. I guess our parrots could pierce our ears at no cost. Sometimes I forget and pay the price. It is so difficult not to react to a painful bite from a bird. I usually end up with an outch and a no.

Most Reactions