Hello everyone...

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Solomon island female eclectus
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for the great responses I have read in a few threads on this forum.

I used to have a sun conure for about 3 hrs and in early august he flew away. My entire family had bonded with him a lot. We miss him dearly. He never wanted to be in the cage, always wanted to see what we were doing and be a part of everything. He would wake up with us and sleep when we sleep. He was spoiled totally LOL.

Last weak we got a female Solomon island eclectus. She is 11 months old and is so quiet that I feel depressed. We got her from pure breed eclectus here in Atlanta. The breeder is well known but I feel that she did not understand the personality we were looking for. I am very social with the bird, I can dance,laugh cry or jump in front of her but there is no noise from her nor any signs of happiness or fear. We have got her a huge ezcare cage, she gets veggies,fruits and her pellets and she is eating fine. Since I have had her i have heard her voice 2 times.is this normal? It feels to me like this bird don't care to live in a huge house, in a huge cage around loving people with lots of fresh food and water and toys. When we got her she was giving off a strong smell. I bathe her everyday and she does not smell any more.

If anyone of you have new female eclectus please let me know how your bird behaves. I understand there rare different personalities. I have a few wooden toys, few plastic toys in her cage and she does not touch them at all. If any of you have recommendations on notes let me know.

She also has a dining table stand where she sits when we eat. A swing in the sun room, and a huge cage where i can fit in. LOL

Is there something I a doing wrong? Was this just a wrong choice of bird? Or the breeder just wanted to make a sell and made up stories. I am not thinking of returning the bird. I will do whatever it takes to keep her happy and healthy for the rest of her life.

We miss our conure a lot and I almost cry a few rimes a day thinking of him.

I know this is very long. Sorry for the venting.

Looking forward to hearing from the community.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
First, welcome to the forum. I hope we can answer all of your questions.

I don't have an ekkie, but honestly, you haven't had her very long at all. A new home can be very stressful and scary, and it can take a couple months for her to get completely comfortable.

Go slowly, give her time and have patience. Congrats on the new family member.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Rani and welcome to the forum, I agree with Di, it may be that your trying to go a little to fast, until your ekkie feels comfortable in her new home she may remain withdrawn until she learns to trust you, try a slower, calmer approach until she starts to interact with you, then slowly progress from there, it may take some time before she opens up and starts to trust you, just be patient and don't get discouraged, the reward in the end is well worth the wait :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I have no experience with Eclectus...but a week is not long enough to see the "personality" of the bird. New cage, new house, new people, new stand...Give her some time. I may be wrong, but I don't think an Eclectus is ever going to be as loud and "outgoing" as a Sun Conure though...I'm sure some Eclectus owners will be along with advice.

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Thank you guys! You guys are right about having some patience...:) I think i am comparing my 3 yrs of training my conure to a 2 week old bird:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to you and your fid
Browse around, many interesting posts, so much to learn
Awesome members always willing to go the extra mile:)

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hello Rani, Welcome to the forum :)

Bond forming and trust can take a long time to build.

If you show her patience, understanding and love I'm sure the rewards will be worth the wait :)

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
I have no experience with Eclectus...but a week is not long enough to see the "personality" of the bird. New cage, new house, new people, new stand...Give her some time. I may be wrong, but I don't think an Eclectus is ever going to be as loud and "outgoing" as a Sun Conure though...I'm sure some Eclectus owners will be along with advice.

Sharon is correct.
I have a 16 week old Female Eclectus... the 1st 2 weeks she was real quiet... she did not want to play with any of the toys.. or have anything to do with me. She would step up but she would fly away from my hand.

Now she is a jabber box.... she "talks" all the time... she was chirping this morning before I uncovered her cage. She is a clown... she is climbing all over her cage and hanging upside down and plays with her toys.

the Female Eclectus is more laid back... from the research I did before I made my decision I found that some people think the Eckkie is slow or dumb.... well they aren't they are taking in all that is going on.
They do not spook easily. I have 2 dogs and a cat and Abby will get beak to nose with them when they get close to her cage.

I have started taking Abby into the bedroom without the other animals and close the door and close the blinds and she and I just lay on the bed and bond.. she is really getting more relaxed.

Just have a little patience and she will come around..

Hope this helps.. I am not expert... But this is my limited knowledge.

Mike

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Mike,

You made my morning:) Thank you so much.... I will give her all the time she needs. Going out to petsmart again today to buy her some more toys.

chrisi

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Mike,

You made my morning:) Thank you so much.... I will give her all the time she needs. Going out to petsmart again today to buy her some more toys.

chrisi

Chrisi,
Thank you... that is very kind of you...

You might get a T.P. roll and stuff it with a paper towel and give it to her. Abby loves to tear hers up...

Just remember to clean all new toys... you don't know where they have been and who has handled them. Germs are transferred by contact.

Also I put a ladder in Abby Cage so she could climb to the higher perch (as babies are a little clumsy..:p and she will move the ladder around to where she wants it... it is so funny to watch her..

Be sure to check all her perches and toys for poop... I clean every day.. and on Saturdays I do a complete removal of all perches and toys and clean them..

Since Abby is less than one year old I really have to be cautious about germs... I have 3 friends that have birds (CAG, Yellow Nape Amazon and Quaker) I have not allowed them to touch Abby at all. Call me paranoid..:30:..

You will do fine.. just remember that birds are like humans they each have different personalities, it make take a little time to figure out what she is tell you she likes and doesn't like.

Mike

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
While I do not have an Eckie I work with them as a volunteer. They seem to be on the quiet, calm side. One of the males had picked up a sound of an electronic game sound of machine guns. It was quite something. Even though they both were mistreated they were very sweet. It was a male and female from different homes who bonded right away. The male was very protective of the female and often would feed her. You have a very nice bird and I know you will understand their needs. We are here for you should you have any questions.

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
SB,

Thank you so much. I will definitely use all the advise.

We do not have children in the house and its funny how we all gather around the bird and sit everyday in evenings. I work from home so she spends the whole morning in my office. Only time i go out is shopping:)
It is great to hear from other owners. I wish there were some local bird events:)

Thank you again
chrisi

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
SB,

Thank you so much. I will definitely use all the advise.

We do not have children in the house and its funny how we all gather around the bird and sit everyday in evenings. I work from home so she spends the whole morning in my office. Only time i go out is shopping:)
It is great to hear from other owners. I wish there were some local bird events:)

Thank you again
chrisi

Hey Chrisi, there is the Atlanta Exotic Bird Fair coming up September 11-12 at the North Atlanta Trade Center.......you missed the one in July, there is also another one December 4-5.

Atlanta's Exotic Bird Fair

OP
R

Rani

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta,ga
Parrots
Awsome Bob! I will go and let you guys know how it was!

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
Ooo, I'm in alabama and atlanta wouldn't be too far! I didn't know there was going to be another fair soon!

Rani, you want to meet for lunch if we both can go? lol!

As far as being quiet. When eclectus parrots get scared or stressed they get very quiet. My Rosie is normally quiet talkative unless she is stressed about something. Now she doesn't talk anywhere near as much as my african grey, but she can definitely banter with the best of them.

Also I've noticed she tends to talk most when she thinks no one is listening. Your baby is still young and in a new home, so definitely keep talking to her and eventually she should talk back.

Now I wouldn't say they say a lot of words or are good at it, but she will at least chatter randomness at you.

Last edited:

Most Reactions