Hello from Alaska

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
Hello.

My wife Gail and I have enjoyed our Senegal for three and a half years now. He was said to be four years old at the time we added him to our family. Tyrael is a friendly, outgoing bird with no health or behavioral problems--although he does make a high pitched sound like a smoke detector more often than we might prefer.

Tyrael is more closely bonded with my wife than me. That is to say, she is able to do anything to the bird and he just snuggles in for more. With me he's happy to spend time and have his head and neck rubbed, but he doesn't really like me to get much more physical with him than that. He seems to prefer women over men in general, but he is friendly toward everyone.

In the past we've had a Grey Cheeked Parakeet who was similarly outgoing and friendly, and a Cockatiel that never seemed to enjoy interaction with people much.

We're now in the approval process to adopt a young Congo African Grey who was surrendered to rescue by a hoarder. We're told that over 30 birds were involved.

We became interested in the species after spending many hours around our best friends' birds--a CAG and a Blue and Gold Macaw. The Grey's vocalizations are very entertaining, and he seems so very smart. The ear-splitting calls of their Macaw have taught us that we'd better not get one ourselves, since we don't have a sound-isolated bird room.

We were able to meet the rescue CAG and several other rescued birds, and for the most part they were all friendly and healthy. One medium sized white Cockatoo--I'm not sure which species--is plucked fairly badly, but she was still the most social and affectionate. Because my wife and I work, we don't think we're a good candidate home for a species that would want quite so much attention, so we're going to pass on Cockatoos for now. (Someday, mabye!) We come home for lunch and walk the dog, but from what I've read about Cockatoos, they might not be happy being at home regularly for hours at a time. Too bad...

Anyway, we're beginning the process of getting to know the Grey and making sure we'll make a good match. During our one visit he seemed happy to sit on my hand and allowed some friendly head rubbing.

Hopefully all will go well and we will be approved for the adoption. I hope to learn lots of good information in these forums about how best to introduce a new bird to our family.

Kevin

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Congrats! Before you go through with the adoption though you may want to introduce your bird to the grey and have a few birdie play dates to make sure both birds are fine with one another. You don't want to adopt it and a week later find out you have to home it because one bird turns aggressive towards your attacks another bird. Good luck!

OP
K

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
Thanks, Mara.

We'll schedule aplay date some time after the rescue birds' quarantine period.

I'm confident our Senegal will do fine with another bird. He visits our bird-loving friends' home regularly.

As for the Grey, he seems used to being surrounded by birds--he shares a cage with a mini-macaw now, and until recently shared a single wide trailer with 30+ parrots.

Each bird will have his own cage at our house, FWIW.

Kevin

Most Reactions