Hello from Emmitt's Mom

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Time for my official hello! I brought my 5 year old Eclectus, Emmitt home yesterday! So far, so good! Emmitt is my 1st parrot, so I'm spending a lot of time online reading and learning all that I can. I am a stay at home mom with 2 children and a wonderfully indulging husband! My children are 6 and 8, and in school during the day, so I have plenty of time to be at home with Emmitt and he can be out of his cage. We have 2 additional pets, a miniature Australian Shepherd and a 1½ year old cat. Introductions to the other pets went very well. Bella, our Aussie could care less about Emmitt, but she has taken to sleeping beside his cage (perhaps guarding him from Zoë). That said, I think Zoë has more to worry about than Emmitt. He keeps coming down from atop his cage to get a closer look at her. He has said "Zo" twice now and I'm sure he's referring to her! Zoë is an indoor cat and a pretty lazy one. Even still, I'm keeping a close eye on them.

I'm told he has a pretty good vocabulary. So far, I've heard "Hi, handsome", "Hi Emmett", "What's that?", "I love you", "bye bye". He has quietly said some other things, but I haven't made them out yet.

Emmett.png

Here's my DD reading to Emmitt last night
DSC_0008-8.jpg

d8fb8d132175bee545d28422da141d11.gif

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Welcome to the forum! I just love the picture of your daughter reading to Emmitt. It made me not only smile, but lol! He looks so interested in the story.

OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Welcome to the forum! I just love the picture of your daughter reading to Emmitt. It made me not only smile, but lol! He looks so interested in the story.

Thank you! This is an important picture. My daughter has ADD and isn't a fan of reading. This picture shows the FIRST time she picked up a book on her own to read! I usually have to beg her to do her reading! I think Emmett is going to be great therapy for her!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

Thank you! This is an important picture. My daughter has ADD and isn't a fan of reading. This picture shows the FIRST time she picked up a book on her own to read! I usually have to beg her to do her reading! I think Emmett is going to be great therapy for her!

Wouldn't that be wonderful? Yes, I would tell her each evening that she needs to read to Emmitt. Then she might see it not as something she hates, but as something she is doing for her pet to make him happy.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Love that idea Roxynoodle, it's a good way to get kids to do things - make them think they're doing it for the animal they love very much!

I do love the way he seems so interested in the book she's reading, it's a lovely picture!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think animals can be wonderful therapy for people with many types of disabilities in different ways. One of my friends has an intellectually disabled daughter who really has never talked. About the only things she says not using sign language are "Ma" and "Mine". But, when she was about 10 and she met one of my horses she pointed and said, "Ears, eyes, nose, mouth". To this day whenever I see her she tells me about the day my goat butted her (playfully). She also talks about the horses. I've learned enough of her sign language about those 2 things to understand what she is telling me. She smiles and nods to let me know that I am understanding her.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Gorgeous boy you have there and such a sweet picture with your cute daughter :). Hopefully it will become a routine.

I have 3 kids, my youngest son is 11 and has Asberger's Syndrome (a form of autisim) as well as ADHD. I have found our pets to be a big help for him especially since with his issue social skills are a problem. He often felt alone and didn't know how to interact with other kids, he has gotten a lot better over the years and I think our having a faithful dog to sit with him and listen to all his troubles has helped him. I look forward to watching him interact with Pixie.

Sounds like your off to a wonderful start and Emmit is a lucky bird to have found you :)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Welcome! I, too, am from Maryland, Baltimore County~ I love the picture of your daughter reading to Emmitt! Good luck!
You said you got him from a bird farm, anywhere local?

Last edited:
OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Welcome! I, too, am from Maryland, Baltimore County~ I love the picture of your daughter reading to Emmitt! Good luck!
You said you got him from a bird farm, anywhere local?

I got him from M&D Bird Farm in Harbeson, DE

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Most Reactions

Latest posts