Hello from England. Warning: may contain rambling!

jellybean94

Sep 5, 2012
Leicester,UK
Parrots
Rosey - African Grey, approx 9 years old
Hi all :D
I'm a student in England currently living with my parents,and the family home is the 'roost' for a rather cheeky African Grey girl known as Rosey :)
I should probably mention now actually - we have never had her gender checked, but as she came along as 'we are 90% sure she is a girl' thats what she has been ever since. She can always change to Roger if needs be ;)We acquired her through a friend of a friend about a year ago. We hadn't had birds before so was a bit of a step into the unknown, but she came with a huge cage and all the extras so why not? :D She can be a very moody madam at times, but can't we all!

Rosey's favourite things: Bells and shiny things,Grapes, Sunflower seeds (she used to pick them out of her food and leave the rest of the seeds, so now they are a treat only!), the dog (Honey,our 6 year old ginger whippet x saluki..she has a huge chase instinct so lovely that she is so gentle with Rosey and they get on so well). Oh and she LOVES the hoover..which is out 24/7 because of the mess she makes!

Roseys pet hates: Being alone, Feather dusters, strangers, being shut in her cage.

Very talkative girl..her favourite noises being telephone rings, the McDonalds whistle, wolf whistling, the first few seconds of the Harry potter theme tune (I couldn't believe that one myself!) coughing, cuckooing (that darn cuckoo clock :rolleyes:) and a few phrases,mostly 'What are you doing,hmmm?'

Oops, almost forgot to tell you all the set up! Rosey has a very spacious blue cage with loads of wooden bars and all sorts of toys..she was originally placed in the corner of the front room (not the main living room, but still used frequently so she had loads of interaction) from when we got her through to around February, as that way she could avoid draughts and all sorts. From sort of the end of February to June, when it had got a little nicer out, she moved in front of the window - no draught and she absolutely loved watching outside all day. However, we never thought to think of the cuckoo clock in there. Although she showed no signs of tiredness, irritability, ill health etc I knew the cuckoo clock would have been disturbing her sleep, so she was moved. She is now in the back room which is where we all watch tv, get ready in mornings, cook, eat dinner and so on. She's really loving being a part of the family, but we are very careful to vacate the room at a decent time so she gets her kip.

I think that's all my rambling done for now!! Just came mainly for advice and to look at everyone elses darling birdies!

Last edited:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like Rosie has settled in just fine :D. Looking forward to pics. ;)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:) We have quite a few members from the UK here, including myself:)

Would love to see some pics of Rosey!

marley_n_me

Dec 29, 2011
Media
uk
Parrots
Marley the amazon
hello and welcome
its nice to see so many members from the uk im also from the uk down on the south-east coast :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Jelly bean, i'm not from the UK but welcome to the forum anyway. LOL

OP
jellybean94

jellybean94

Sep 5, 2012
Leicester,UK
Parrots
Have made a little photo album which I assume is viewable to you all? Let me know if I've not done it correctly :p

She's being a right noisy mare today. My one day off of the week and I've been awake since 7 because of her.. -sigh- :D

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Welcome!!! She is very cute and sounds very well-cared for! Hope you feel at home here.

You're not a Doctor Who fan or a knitter by any chance? I have to ask with UK folks because they have a higher probability of being one or the other than people on this side of the pond. :D I am both.

OP
jellybean94

jellybean94

Sep 5, 2012
Leicester,UK
Parrots
Welcome!!! She is very cute and sounds very well-cared for! Hope you feel at home here.

You're not a Doctor Who fan or a knitter by any chance? I have to ask with UK folks because they have a higher probability of being one or the other than people on this side of the pond. :D I am both.

Thank you :D I'm sure she would appreciate the compliment lol!
Unfortunately, being a Textiles student, I am more of a sewer..though not much of a fan of it! Lol and Doctor Who isn't very me but I do commit to the Christmas special..it's a sin if you don't :eek:

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I sew a bit but I'm not very good at it. I have a to-mend pile that is really good at sitting there and gathering dust. :D Hauling out the machine is too much of a pain! I am however a big fabric fan. Too much pretty stuff out there!

Most Reactions

Latest posts