Hello from Galveston Island!

DAislandR

Nov 28, 2017
Galveston Island
Parrots
Grew up with African Grey & Eclectus.
Waiting on a baby Quaker Parrot... His name will be "Aziah Kaide"
Well, Good afternoon my fellow *Aviarians!
I'm not necessarily "new" to the forum... I've been popping in for a few years now but since I'm ready for my new Quaker baby, I figured I'd go ahead and become part of the community.
I was raised with an African Grey and Eclectus (both my mother's) but I am now in a place to have my own feathered baby! After much research and knowing my personality, a Quaker is just what I'm looking for! I am on a waiting list for a baby male. I want to name him Malakai. This is a derivative of Malachi meaning 'My Messenger" in Hebrew.
I have 2 very sweet (rescued) babies already... Amikah, my Shiba Inu mix and Leo, my Balinese/Tabby mix. I think they will both do well with "Malakai". I plan on having his cage set-up a good month or two before he arrives to get my other pets accustomed to the rules.
Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome!

*I know, it's not a "real" word! :20:

OP
D

DAislandR

Nov 28, 2017
Galveston Island
Parrots
Ok cool, but how does that keep my cat from bugging him in his cage?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I also have cats and dogs, and my furry babies are never in the same room with my birds, they are way too interested in them for me to feel safe so I can't help with any advice there.
I would love to see pictures of your new baby when he come home! I love the name you have picked out, too. Do you have any idea how long your wait will be?
So happy you joined us:)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello!
As a native Houstonian, Galveston was my childhood playground and fairyland... what a magical place it was for me.
Welcome. I'm glad you're here!

OP
D

DAislandR

Nov 28, 2017
Galveston Island
Parrots
Hi! I am considering putting him in my bedroom. There are large 2 windows and my bedroom door is a french door, so I can always see him and visa versa. The early cage setup worked for my mom by at least setting boundries and reservation about approaching the cage, bird or not.
I am not sure when I will be getting my fid. I have found an aviary in Austin that has an excellent reputation but they recently sold their last Quaker, so I am on a waiting list! Ugh... But this gives me time to better prepare, like getting new pots and pans. The teflon must go!

OP
D

DAislandR

Nov 28, 2017
Galveston Island
Parrots
Hi GaleriaGila! You better come back here and visit then! I am originally from Beaumont. Like you, I grew up coming to Galveston and couldn't wait to move here when the time was right! Here I am! I've got an awesome little alley house and it made it through Harvey with no more than a little water blown under the front door... I think I'll stay put for now!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for joining!! You must be anxiously counting the days until your quaker come home! Kudos for researching and setting up the cage well in advance.

Dogs and cats require close supervision or outright separation from parrots, depending on breed, temperament, and home set up. Approach slowly and very carefully!

OP
D

DAislandR

Nov 28, 2017
Galveston Island
Parrots
Agreed! Thank you!

Most Reactions