Hello Guys

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Barney, Quaker Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 15th July 2013 & Mannie, Alexandrine Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 8th of April 2014
Hi Everybody,

I joined a couple of months ago but only now I've found time to introduce myself.

I am David, proud friend and keeper of a year old Quaker named Barney and 3 month old Alexandrine named Mannie. Even though I love them to bits, they hate each other and can't stand the looks of each other. I think its mainly my fault, but was trying to seek some advice from more seasoned parrot handlers.

My fingers have become quite accustomed to bites lately.. but will keep up the job and work harder :)

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Hi Everybody,

I joined a couple of months ago but only now I've found time to introduce myself.

I am David, proud friend and keeper of a year old Quaker named Barney and 3 month old Alexandrine named Mannie. Even though I love them to bits, they hate each other and can't stand the looks of each other. I think its mainly my fault, but was trying to seek some advice from more seasoned parrot handlers.

My fingers have become quite accustomed to bites lately.. but will keep up the job and work harder :)

Welcome David !!

Glad to have you with us, Sounds like you have your hands full, I'm sure someone will come along with some good advice on how to move forward with these guys hating each other

Why do you think its mainly your fault?

BTW WE LOVE PICTURES :D

Joe

OP
Davidcsky

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Barney, Quaker Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 15th July 2013 & Mannie, Alexandrine Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 8th of April 2014
I should have added some, well.. i always try to allot time to each out of the cage, but never together as can't manage them on my own, and when they are out togother, always with me next to them. Yesterday I got fed up and left them to it on the same spot on their own, they did not attack each other.. well i think they are slightly jealous of each other and always seek attention on themselves.. from now one, togother all the time.. maybe its yet another mistake.. we'll see..

Last edited:

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Welcome- your birds are wonderful. I love Alexandrines.

It's not your fault, jealousy is a natural thing. I understand you being cautious, with the Alex's beak being so much larger than the Quaker's. I keep my pionus away from my conures just because I'm paranoid, so don't feel too bad.

As long as they learn to respect each other's personal space and don't seek out a fight, I think you're good. At least they don't hate each other, right?

OP
Davidcsky

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Well i think they do.. but when i leave them togother out of the cage and don't heed them they do not attack each other.. well.. we'll see.. still love them though, and the stupidities they come up with :)

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
I should have added some, well.. i always try to allot time to each out of the cage, but never together as can't manage them on my own, and when they are out togother, always with me next to them. Yesterday I got fed up and left them to it on the same spot on their own, they did not attack each other.. well i think they are slightly jealous of each other and always seek attention on themselves.. from now one, togother all the time.. maybe its yet another mistake.. we'll see..

GREAT pics, Thanks So Much for Sharin !!

I was going to say they would most likely NOT attack each other, Did you ever try spreading a towel across a table and placing "fun" things there that they could play with or snack on?

Once they are used to socializing and interacting with each other, they should become friends, Would they stay put on the towel?

I'm sure someone else will have some advice for you, what are your goals?

Joe

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Yeah, my conures and pionus will stay in their respective spaces. But if my conures spook and land near my Pi's cage while he's inside of it, he charges the cage wall feathers a' flairing, squawking and ready to maul. He's just territorial. On common grounds(I.E the bed) he doesn't seek out a fight though. So I'm very careful with mine, I don't think they understand what could happen if they land on his cage after a fright.

OP
Davidcsky

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
well my goals are simple, harmony between them :p they will get used to each other surely, by time... thanks guys :)

OP
Davidcsky

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Hi Again Guys,

Just a small update of the current unfriendly situation between my birds,

well yesterday i started the technique: get used to each other, coz im fed up of trying.. and it seems like its working..

i took into consideration making them play together but not with toys, they like coming with me when i go to the shower, and there they sat, staring.. occasionally flying near to get some splashes of water.. but it seems like finally, and very slowly they might be coming to terms with each other..

well.. good luck to me :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello David, welcome to the forum! You have two beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing their photos. If you have a strong bond with your Quaker, since he's been with you longer, you should be able to use that to your advantage. When a new bird is introduced to a feathered family member it isn't unusual for the original bird to be offended by the mere presence of the new bird. The first few time outs together tend to be the most dangerous. It's good to cover cage tops with towels to protect toes. I would watch them really close when they are out together. Who seems to be the instigator? Your Quaker is smaller but he probably isn't aware of that, either one of them could get hurt without supervision. When you are working with them, it helps to tell them how much you like being with both of them. Do everything you can to make the time outside their cages a positive experience, toys, treats, music, your company. Station training comes in handy with multiple birds. I don't have an Alex yet, but both my Quakers enjoy training sessions and learn quickly. Best of luck with the close encounters, please keep us updated.

OP
Davidcsky

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Thanks Allee,

Well yes i do have a bond with both, and i think they tend to get jealous of each other. Normally i think i did the mistake of taking out the younger one from the cage first and play with him for some time then switch to the quaker, yesterday i saw a great difference when i took the both out togother.. Barney (Quaker) was more keen to respond to "training" and not as aggressive, Mannie is still not very keen on barney though.. i think he fears him a little bit even though he's got a bigger beak... well im sure theyll love each other :)) even after this small gesture yesterday i saw a massive difference :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! Your fids are gorgeous:)
I have several birds, and I allow them out at the same time, but they don't play on the same playstands as they are several different sizes. They seem to do fine as long as I am taking turns giving them attention. Sounds like you are making progress with them!
Please keep us updated on how they are doing!

OP
Davidcsky

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Small update,

seems like things are getting better now :) they seem to be respecting each others's spaces at times even though at times we have some sparks...

Last edited:

Most Reactions