Jan 6, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Mealy Rosella
Peachfaced Lovebirds
Black masked Lovebird
Hello :)

I have 7 Peachfaced lovebirds and a black masked lovebird.
I also have an eastern rosella and rainbow a rosella which I think is a mealy rosella but she looks a little different.

currently building an aviary outside for them. Its slowly getting there! :yellow1:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
A true rainbow will have a red or mostly red head, while your mealies will have predominately greenish or greenish yellow heads. Rosellas are one of the feww parrot species known to cross breed in the wild, so, depending on how far removed your bird is from its wild ancestry, it could have both species in its genes.

OP
OolovebirdiesoO

OolovebirdiesoO

Jan 6, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Mealy Rosella
Peachfaced Lovebirds
Black masked Lovebird
A true rainbow will have a red or mostly red head, while your mealies will have predominately greenish or greenish yellow heads. Rosellas are one of the feww parrot species known to cross breed in the wild, so, depending on how far removed your bird is from its wild ancestry, it could have both species in its genes.

I've started a new thread in other parrots...i think thats where I put it. It a thread asking about rainbows colour haha. heres the link to the photo album (theres 3 pictures) http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1IbtWzVm4asIe

and thanks for the welcome :)

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
what are you making your aviary out of? and beautiful lovie as your avatar picture!

OP
OolovebirdiesoO

OolovebirdiesoO

Jan 6, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Mealy Rosella
Peachfaced Lovebirds
Black masked Lovebird
Thankyou, the lovie in the picture is Rio :)

The plans for the aviary are wooden aviary panels (hopefully double mesh) for the flight and an indoor part in a smaller shed. So far I've layed the concrete floor down (I used slabs not a poured floor) and the sheds sitting on just less than half of that. I have the insulation ready to fit and then I think we are going to use wooden cladding on the inside to cover the insulation. We have some laminated floor left over from decorating a room so I'm going to use that on the shed floor because it will be easy to clean and mop. I'll probably cover it with some sort of substrate to keep it fresh. over the outside flight i'm going to put some corregated plastic to provide shelter. It's taking a while at the moment because of the weather and the costs to get It all finished. I just feel like my birds will benefit more from having a flight available all day, not just when I get them out for playtime :)

I'm just worried that even with the insulation and the shed my lovebirds will get cold. They've always been inside my house and it's quite warm. I'm planning on either letting the rosellas out in the aviary under supervision because they might be aggressive towards the lovies or the lovies might bully them because they dont seem to realise how small they are. or later on I might extend the aviary so the rosellas have their own flight.

I'm pretty excited and I know the birds will love it. :yellow1:

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum. Your birds sound very pretty. I have seen pictures of Rosellas, but have never had any experience with them. it will be interesting to hear how they are cared for.

Your aviary is going to be a nice place for your darlings to enjoy themselves. I plan on making a patio type aviary out my back door for my feathered kids to enjoy while I sit inside it & watch them in warm weather. My macaws have an aviary to live in inside my living room & I love being able to walk into it to feed them.

Good luck with your aviary plans. Will love to see pics when you finish it.

Most Reactions