Help! Angry parrot

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
So I tried putting a harness to my bird and once I finished she got incredibly mad! I know I might pushed it, I was just so excited but know I have a problem, I have a super angry bird with a harness on that doesn’t let me take it off (she already bit me twice)

What can I do?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You will have to rebuild trust. A harness is not something to force- you have to train in steps. Associate yourself with positives (not by your definition, but by your bird's definition) and try to be as low-key/non-stressful as possible until things get back to normal.

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
You will have to rebuild trust. A harness is not something to force- you have to train in steps. Associate yourself with positives (not by your definition, but by your bird's definition) and try to be as low-key/non-stressful as possible until things get back to normal.

I finally could take it out, I honestly didn’t see the signs since she let me do it without having to force much but I guess little by little

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Your bird will get over it-- just know, that if she/he is acting mad, you have to respect that. It could pass in 2 days, or 2 weeks, but either way, it relates to rebuilding trust. You will be fine- do not beat yourself up-- just know that it may take a bit of positive behavior and time to get back to where you were. Little things are often a big deal to them (as you know).

The biggest thing right now, is to let him/her be angry if that is the feeling- do not push stressful or emotional interaction and be the "good cop" (if you know what I mean)...I am not saying let your bird get away with everything, but don't put it in situations where things like biting could occur and keep everything very low-key/happy/relaxed/ non-invasive--- don't get in his/her face or try to push contact until he/she is ready. If he/she doesn't want to take a treat from you, don't even try--- just put it in the dish and keep it stress/power-struggle free. That will still work in your favor over time.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh dear. The major downside of going too fast with harness training. Problem being, now there's huge negativity associated with it. Forcing your bird to do anything it doesn't want is a big blow to her trust in you.

You may have to towel her to get it off, and beg for forgiveness. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Edited to add:

Oops, sorry I took too long to finish my post. You got it covered. Go Noodles!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Removing the harness was the problem I ran into with my YNA.
I was able to put it on him and he enjoyed his time outside.
But bringing him indoors he became very impatient with the removal process.
I just figured worse case would be to cut it off of him with wire cutters (scissors would be to dangerous). I would probably get bitten but I would keep him from strangling himself with the harness.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
You need to train for "off" at the same time you train for "on".

And I mean AT THE SAME TIME. For this specific reason.

While humans see it as "oh, just put it on and take it off" - the harness training process consists of several very big asks of the bird.

And yes, even though your bird accepts it on the first time, "freeze" is another form of response to a situation. So train for it. Don't just think your bird is the amazing 1-in-a-million that can magically accept the harness. (And don't feel bad that you assumed this - so many people do because they don't recognise when their bird freezes.)

There are many great harness training threads on the forum. Feel free to poke around and even comment on them with questions or insights - we'll all pop back onto those threads happily :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bystef, It took me awhole year, of gradually training my Amazon Salty to accept and take off his harness. Every single day, that was 5 yrs ago and we still pracitice it at least 3-4 times a week , just putting it on and taking it off. Like any "trick" you break it down into small steps , be consistent and reward immediately when the step is done correctly. I would wait awhile before commencing it again, regaining your parrots trust is more important.

You need to be able to handle, manually, your parrot, to manipulate the harness and his wings ,his head an the neck loop, with him being OK with that. It takes time usually.

Check this out.... [ame="https://youtube.com/watch?v=iw16lN2T0ik"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iw16lN2T0ik[/ame]

Right about here........................................................................................................................^^ I get it right.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
Your bird will get over it-- just know, that if she/he is acting mad, you have to respect that. It could pass in 2 days, or 2 weeks, but either way, it relates to rebuilding trust. You will be fine- do not beat yourself up-- just know that it may take a bit of positive behavior and time to get back to where you were. Little things are often a big deal to them (as you know).

The biggest thing right now, is to let him/her be angry if that is the feeling- do not push stressful or emotional interaction and be the "good cop" (if you know what I mean)...I am not saying let your bird get away with everything, but don't put it in situations where things like biting could occur and keep everything very low-key/happy/relaxed/ non-invasive--- don't get in his/her face or try to push contact until he/she is ready. If he/she doesn't want to take a treat from you, don't even try--- just put it in the dish and keep it stress/power-struggle free. That will still work in your favor over time.

Thank you, I put her in the cage yesterday because I felt she was too overwhelmed and that helped a little, she doesn’t trust me much know (she trusted me a loooot) but at let step up to have breakfast outside in her play stand but doesnt want much more interaction, at least that’s something. I don’t want to push her either

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
Removing the harness was the problem I ran into with my YNA.
I was able to put it on him and he enjoyed his time outside.
But bringing him indoors he became very impatient with the removal process.
I just figured worse case would be to cut it off of him with wire cutters (scissors would be to dangerous). I would probably get bitten but I would keep him from strangling himself with the harness.

I was sooo close to cut it off but I don’t even know how I found a way, the weird thing is that she was ok until I took her outside that she lost it, maybe that’s when she realized

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
You need to train for "off" at the same time you train for "on".

And I mean AT THE SAME TIME. For this specific reason.

While humans see it as "oh, just put it on and take it off" - the harness training process consists of several very big asks of the bird.

And yes, even though your bird accepts it on the first time, "freeze" is another form of response to a situation. So train for it. Don't just think your bird is the amazing 1-in-a-million that can magically accept the harness. (And don't feel bad that you assumed this - so many people do because they don't recognise when their bird freezes.)

There are many great harness training threads on the forum. Feel free to poke around and even comment on them with questions or insights - we'll all pop back onto those threads happily :)

Thank you! I just been feeling so bad that I did this that caused so much stress is like the only thing I’ve been thinking haha but I’ll try to focus on being better now and be more aware of her body lenguage

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
Bystef, It took me awhole year, of gradually training my Amazon Salty to accept and take off his harness. Every single day, that was 5 yrs ago and we still pracitice it at least 3-4 times a week , just putting it on and taking it off. Like any "trick" you break it down into small steps , be consistent and reward immediately when the step is done correctly. I would wait awhile before commencing it again, regaining your parrots trust is more important.

You need to be able to handle, manually, your parrot, to manipulate the harness and his wings ,his head an the neck loop, with him being OK with that. It takes time usually.

Check this out.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iw16lN2T0ik

Right about here........................................................................................................................^^ I get it right.

Thank you! I’ll try to get it out of her way for now until she feels better and now I think I learned my lesson and will go the slow way

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
Omg guys today I got the cutest reaction, she was calling me and when I pick her up she went straight to my shoulder and preened my hair and just rested her head on me(is the first time she does that) I think this was her way of saying I forgive you, she is not 100% the same but is much much better and I’m more than happy with that

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Good- that's great news! just keep taking it slow (my bird sometimes will suddenly remember she is mad until we make it past the 1-2 2-week mark lol)---so keep being positive and low stress until a bit more time has passed.

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
I think this was her way of saying I forgive you.

Sorry to say this, but no.

Until you understand that you have a parrot and not a chimpanzee, you’re going to have problems.

Mmm... how is your comment helpful at all? I’m not telling you I’m right but if you think I’m wrong at least explain yourself and don’t talk to me as if I’m an idiot.
I’m sharing my experience seeking for knowledge and experiences to be better with my parrot and not to feel judged. Thankfully everyone else has been way nicer

OP
B

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
Good- that's great news! just keep taking it slow (my bird sometimes will suddenly remember she is mad until we make it past the 1-2 2-week mark lol)---so keep being positive and low stress until a bit more time has passed.

Thank you, I’m trying to do my best, we are still getting to know each other since we’ve been together just a little over a month. This forum has help me sooo much haha
a80476c69dee2d7f1d4a980a2edfc344.jpg

This is her today just chilling with me!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Parrots are intellectually on-par w/apes for the most part (no joke) lol... I think the comment was intended to be kind of light-hearted Ira. Truth be told, my parrot wouldn't preen me if she was SUPER mad, but like I already said, she could still get cranky about this down the road. I think it's still a good sign!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think Ira was trying to convey that while we find parrots to be cute and intelligent, we need to understand that we should't anthromorphisize (sp) how they act. I dont think they 'forgive' in the sense that past actions are given consideration and then decided to be forgoten. Maybe more like you have shown that you are not a predator or threat, and even have provided goodies, so you are OK now.
Of course we will never know exactly how emotions feel to the parrot mind, they dohave emotions, but how they experience them is different than the hominid ones. IMHO.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I guess I was confused because chimps aren't exactly known for being forgiving lol ---but I think that explanation sheds a bit of light on the possible intention. Either way, I think it's semantics-- I doubt OP gave great thought to it- I certainly wouldn't have...but I can see why someone might disagree with the phrasing.

This brings up an interesting topic though....SO, minor side-bar moment:
When I leave town and come back (we are talking 2 days) Noodles is legit mad at me. The act of being happy and "punishing" all at once definitely occurs...She'll be jumping up and down and super lovey and celebrating and then bite me and rant at me (not in an overstimulated way, in a an intentional way--and when I say "rant", I do not mean scream--I mean telling me off like a drunk old man at a bus-stop). She still fully trusts me during this time and shows no fear of me (still shows affection too). The random rants/bites always last for like a week after (like a girlfriend who randomly keeps remembering a past fight lol)-and she's not attacking or trying to REALLY harm..it's more like the equivalent of a bird slap...and then she "forgives" me (or gets over it)...I get why there could be some issue with using the word "forgive" across instances, but mine will hold (what appears to be) an emotional grudge over me leaving for a day or 2.........Also, when I leave her, she stays with my parents (who she views as her flock as well---loves my dad more than anyone)...eats the same food, has the same schedule....knows the house..even has a duplicate cage there (and she loves it)...So, how would you describe her reaction and the act of moving past it?

I get that in instances where there was a physical "trauma" or genuine emotional trauma-like re-homing etc (that the bird's reaction fear/threat/trust based) but it isn't ALWAYS so cut-and-dry. I do think their emotions can be a bit anthropomorphic at times...not saying it's safe to always think of them that way (because that's a slippery slope)...but sometimes...I do think it can be a bit of a blurry line.

Last edited:

Most Reactions