Help choosing a bird

kellymack515

May 26, 2013
I'm considering adding to my pet family and was thinking of adding a more advanced care bird but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I understand the commitments of animals and I don't want to put the bird or myself in an unhappy situation. Here's my considerations.

1. I live in an apartment so excessive noise is unacceptable. I do love bird sound and enjoy listening to my canary sing. I also don't have room for a ginormous cage. I already have three decent size cages available; 18"x18"x36", 24"x24"x36" and a domed 24"x24"x36".

2. Due to other considerations, I do not have hours each day that I can spend with a bird. I also have a pet cat so allowing the bird free reign in my home worries me.

3. I have multiple other pets. I have a cat, a ferret, a canary, snakes, a tortoise, lizards, tarantulas, and fish. The only other animal in my home the bird may come in contact with is my cat.

4. I want an affectionate but independent bird; a bird that will enjoy handling but not start plucking if he/she goes a day without attention. I would like a social bird so that my husband and myself can both enjoy it.

5. I'm comfortable with birds of any size but I'm most interested in a medium to large bird. I used to work at an exotic vet clinic and handled everything from finches to macaws.

6. There are no children in my home.

I have been offered a yearling African grey for free (the current owner is the former owner's ex who left all his animals with her; she owns the parents) but I don't want to take such an exquisite bird just because it's free. I understand the commitment involved. I'm leaning more towards a cockatiel but have always been interested in parakeets (not budgies), parrotlets, and lovebirds. I love the idea of a larger bird but I don't think my current situation would accommodate one very well. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
As long as you have at least 3 hours a cockatiels or budgie would be a great bird. Budgies are amazing, males are also capable of a astounding vocabularys. One budgie was proven to know over a thousand words! Remember that not all birds will talk though.
I love cockatiels! Although they can be a little loud. I used to have a young make that I gave one of my BFF(I found the bird and tamed him, didn't intentional get him). He would scream for ever when I left. He has now learned to talk(remember they won't all do so) and instead of screaming with the sunrise and sunset he talks and whistles songs.

If you are unable to give them attention everyday a parrot is probably not for you. My social life is very small now because of my fids, but then I'm a introvert so I don't care that I go out ways as than I used to.

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
4. I want an affectionate but independent bird; a bird that will enjoy handling but not start plucking if he/she goes a day without attention. I would like a social bird so that my husband and myself can both enjoy it.

Based on what you said in your point #4, I don't think you should get a larger bird than a lovebird. However, something to note is: I had several lovebirds for a few years and the ones that enjoyed handling took lots of attention from me. The ones that didn't enjoy handling and were more independent, did NOT enjoy handling by me. Also, lovebirds are not too noisy for an apartment - I lived in an apartment the whole time I had lovebirds and even had up to 5 of them at one time... never had any complaints from my neighbors. So, the amount of time you spend interacting with the parrot will also determine how friendly the parrot becomes towards you, once they bond with you, they will feel very sad when you ignore them. Remember, parrots are very social animals.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Perhaps something quiet and small like finches. A parrot is a huge responsibility, requires a lot of time, is loud and messy. Even budgies need a lot of attention or they suffer. And of course, your cat will kill any bird that gets loose. It may be cuddly and affectionate towards you, but a bird brings out all the killer instincts of cats. But the ferret is the deadliest enemy in a house with birds, and they (as you know) can get in anything. Even if they don't get to the bird, they will terrorize it. Think about it.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I really couldn't say anything larger than a cockatiel. African greys can be great birds, however, none of the cages you have are large enough. A small conure may be "ok" in the largest cage, but I'd still say it's on the small side.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Maybe a poicephalous or pionus... but there is no guarantee with noise level, as some can be screamers. Maybe a parrotlet?

nicki

Mar 26, 2013
Media
Dallas TX
Parrots
6 mo old Eclectus :)
I just want to say as a former ferret owner; I had NINE. I think my eclectus is more work.

OP
K

kellymack515

May 26, 2013
Thank you all so much for your input. I appreciate it.

I'm trying to put as much thought into this decision as possible. I've seen far too many people make spur of the moment pet purchases only to regret it later. I've been talking to some friends of mine that own birds or have worked with birds and I believe I'm down to two. Either a cockatiel or a Bourke's parakeet. I think they are both within a manageable size and have social requirements that I can easily meet.

The ferret is no longer an issue... I adopted him knowing he had cancer and he managed to live almost two years longer than the vet gave him. He passed away yesterday.

OP
K

kellymack515

May 26, 2013
My cat is still a primary concern. She doesn't seem overly interested in my canary but will sit by her cage whenever she sings. I would not bring any bird out of its cage with my cat in the same room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts